Approved For Ssa Disability Today!

Hi everyone! I just wanted to share that I was approved for SSA Disability today and it was mostly on the basis of my POTS and mostly due to the testimony of a medical expert that was brought to the hearing by SSA. He wasn't an expert on POTS, but I feel he did a fair job of reviewing my case and said that even though I don't pass out often, the presyncopal symptoms I describe are medically equivalent to syncope for the purposes of trying to work. Syncope is one of the "listing " diagnoses that automatically qualifies you for approval. If anyone wants any details, I'm happy to talk more about it.

Congrats Katybug!! How long did it take you for the whole process. I was just given my initial denial. The attorney has appealed, so now it's wait and see for a hearing date. Congrats again. It's nice to hear some good news!

Thanks for all the well wishes and the Happy Dance!

It took 2 years to the day from the date I filed to my hearing date. But, the attorney told me every state is different ...even different parts of the state may be faster or slower at processing files depending on which office your file is worked from. Apparently, MD is one of the slowest states. I did notice that every time I bugged my attorney's office about some news and they in turn called the SSA that suddenly the next step of the process would happen within a week. It was like the phone call got my file moved to the top of the stack for the next leg of the race.

I'm really pleased that another POTS case got approval. I really hope each of us that fights for these approvals makes it easier for others in the future. I finally feel like I can turn my attention back to the important thing which is getting better without the worry of income hanging over my head.

A huge congratulations to you Katybug. I feel the excitement with you. It is such a wonderful feeling when you receive the good news. Besides the monetary benefits, feeling like the seriousness of your condition has been recognized is priceless. I still get teary when I think about the day my award notice came in the mail. I am so very happy for you.

Janet

This is wonderful! How was working with an attorney? Did you do that from the beginning or did you try going it alone at first?

I filed beginning to mid July of 2011 and my trial is the second week of June so 2 years from start to trial here. I contacted an attorney before I ever filed and followed their instructions. They met with me in office then after my second denial I believe.

They said it usually takes 6 weeks to get an answer. If I have to appeal that I have no idea how long that process takes or if the same attorney is willing to represent me or not. This is just something I have no experience with.

Thanks for the additional well wishes. I am glad I worked with an attorney and I did hire them from the beginning. Most are going to charge you the same no matter where they pick up your case (25% of any back pay awarded to you is customary payment for this type of attorney.) So, it at least takes some of the work off of you (not all of it as there are still certain forms you have to complete). My attorney also did a mock hearing with me a couple weeks before the hearing and asked me the types of questions the judge would be asking so I felt well prepped going into the hearing. And, there weren't any surprises as far as the questions I was asked. It's nice to have someone in your corner in there with you. And, it is also customary that they don't get paid if you aren't ultimately awarded disability, so it's a win/win.

Oh, in reference to my last statement...customary doesn't mean all attorney's do things that way, so make sure you read the contract for any attorney you are thinking of hiring. If they will charge you even if you lose...I would find a different attorney. One reason for this is that if they don't get paid unless you win, it is in their best interest to present a winning case for you. My attorney flat out told me when I asked him if he thought I had a case at the beginning of the process that his firm will not take on clients that they don't believe they can win the case for because it's not cost effective to put man-hours into flimsy cases. So, there's my heads up in finding the right attorney for you....