How Does Everyone Stay Hydrated When You Are Experiencing Nausea?

Nausea is a symptom that doesn't hit me very often, but for whatever reason whether it be a stomach bug or POTS issue, I have been experience pretty horrible nausea today. Hasn't escalated to vomiting but I am just feeling extremely woozy and sick to my stomach. I worry that I may be dehydrated, but as soon as I drink any substantial amount of water it gets worse. I have tried using my usual treatment of peppermint, but it isn't working very well.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to hold down liquids when feeling like this, or even better what you do to treat the nausea?

I have nausea with vomiting throughout the day everyday. It is very difficult to stay hydrated because of early satiety, too. I mix my Glucerna with a little water as I drink it (this is my main source of nutrition for past several months). Just try to do the best you can. Some people have suggested Gatorade or PowerAde. You may want to try sipping on that throughout the day. Hope you feel better.

Anyone who has chronic nausea with vomiting has my utmost sympathy! I think one of the worst feelings in the world is nausea. I can stand just about anything else but constant nausea! Thankfully, I don't have it as much as I used to - don't know why - but, I don't. I have learned, however, to hit it hard when it first begins to show up. I keep Benadryl, Dramamine, Phenergan Tablets and Suppositories in my arsenal. If I take something early enough, I can prevent the vomiting. Once I start actually vomiting, I have to go to the ER for IV fluids. Yuck!

So sorry to hear this. Hope you are better by now. Crushed ice is my son's favorite. I have a Walmart snow cone maker that I use. Sometimes he wants gatoraide poured over it.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I actually figured out that I think the reason I was nauseous was because I was dehydrated to begin with, of course go figure. Snow cone maker is definitely a good idea, I was basically crushing up ice by hand and mixing it with gatorade which seemed to do the trick, along with some of my trusty pepto bismol.

I also have gastroparesis and the nausea can be so very bad, I am down already 90 pounds thanks to GP. I am on a mostly liquid diet other than an occasional baked potato or crackers with peanut butter. I drink Boost with protein and PowerAde ( I think it tastes better than Gatorade). I have been dehydrated many times that will lead to a bladder infection from my urine being so strong from ammonia. It is a juggling act to get in enough fluids with constant nausea. I take liquid phengran everyday. It helps me better than Zofran. Sorry you have this awful nausea and vomiting. It is very common part of gastroparesis. have you been checked for this?

I have severe gastroparesis.

For hydration, you could get a snow cone machine like this, and use Pedialyte, Gatorade, or Powerade, instead of using syrups. The shaved ice can be soothing.

Sucking on sour, tart, candies, such as lemon drops, can reduce nausea temporarily.

For nausea, this is what I recommend:

-When lying down, lie down on your right side, which helps your stomach empty faster.

-Try sitting up as much as possible; this aids gastric emptying.

-Reduce fluids at meals; this reduces nausea.

• 1 month later...

This is an old thread but I wanted to throw what I do out there. My first line of defense is a ginger capsule or two (550mg each) since they have way more ginger than ginger ale while my second line of defense is Phenegran.

I have a standing order for IV fluids so I can just go to the hospital any time and get them. If I know I'm going to have a bad nausea day, I just go get them rather than letting myself get dehydrated. Dehydration always makes me more nauseous.. During the day, I call and make an appointment. They get me in right away. Outside of 8-6 I have to go through the ER to get fluids but still do not have to see a doctor since I have standing orders. Honestly, unless I'm going to actually throw up, I prefer the IV route over Phenegran-head followed by a 36 hour Phenegran hangover!

Like someone else said, less fluid at meals helps. The gastro at Mayo recommended this for what he called "cyclic vomiting"... Although my vomiting is fairly predictable based on what kind of Dysautonomia day I'm having. Anyway, point is I stopped drinking with my meals and the nausea is more manageable.

I sometimes have to set an alarm to go off like every 5 minutes or so and then every time the alarm goes off I make myself take a small sip of water, gatorade, etc. Phenergan is a good friend of mine in several different forms (pill, gel, and suppositories). I also use over the counter chewable tablets called Nauzene and bracelets that work on acupuncture points on the wrist called Psi Bands.