Muscle Twitching / Spasm

I have muscle twitching almost everyday-mostly eyelids. Also, some spasms in my lower back.

I've done electrolyte panels and everything is normal (story of my dysautonomic life-lol).

So, not sure what's causing it but it is very annoying.

I am literally experiencing this right now. My thumb has been twitching for about 24 hours now, it is so irritating! Not to mention I am extremely worried about what the cause might be. It feels just like those "fasiculations" everyone gets in their eyelids and stuff but its been going on for a day now.

Guest Alex

low magnesium can be a problem that can cause muscle twitches/fasciculations.

Even if magnesium is usually assessed through blood, the results of the test can be misleading (only 1-3% of the magnesium in the body is found in blood/serum).

Based on what I've been reading about magnesium some of the best supplements (that have the higher assimilation rate) are those containing magnesium glycinate or citrate rather than magnesium oxide.

Alex

Alex,

My geneticist didn't want me to take an oral magnesium supplement due to my history of severe GI issues but she has me take Epsom salt baths and/or foot baths as you can apparently absorb a significant amount of the magnesium salts through your skin. It might be an addition to or an alternative for you or anyone that needs more magnesium in there life.

Achilles,

I was just looking up potassium requirements and the recommended daily value is over 3000 mg. Two bananas is getting you about 22% of that. If you Google "potassium rich foods", you can find lists of other common foods that you can incorporate to try to get closer to the RDV. There is also a consideration for us that most of us salt load which can throw off the sodium /potassium balance even more than what happens to a healthy individual. I know a few people have written on this board that they have ended up in the hospital specifically due to low potassium. It might be worth upping your intake with potassium rich foods to see if it helps.

Guest Alex

Katybug,

thanks for bringing that up - transdermal magnesium is indeed an excellent option. Either soaking in the tub with Epsom salts, or magnesium oils are easily absorbed through the skin.

Also, yes, the 2 bananas are nowhere near enough.

Magnesium and potassium supplements are really important particularly if you're on florinef -'you can get deficient quite fast.

Alex :)

I get these too, although they have gotten a lot better since ive been off zoloft and florinef. Def agree with the above defiencey suggestions. I was very hypokalemic from the florinef on a very low dose (although I run low to begin with) Zoloft caused massive twitching for me. ur right, very frustrating whatever the cause. TC

Its a POTS symptom. If taking a magnesium supplement, be sure to get something that will absorb into your system. Your doctor should be able to help with that and might be willing to do a blood test to check for your levels. That would be helpful to know.

Low potassium can occur an it can be dangerous. If you get severe muscle cramps that do not go away I would go to the doctor during the episode. Magnesium 1000-1500 for me everyday. I find I have to get WAY more potassium in food than the average person, I think I do not absorb it as well due to GI issues. I drink coconut water, use half salt/ half potassium mix on food and this helps with preventing cramps. I also wear compression stockings, which helps with leg cramps and blood pressure. You have to be really vigilant about electrolytes, it seems with POTS it isn't just salt. Also, drinking too much water without enough salt can make salt too low, which will also cause cramps. Just my experience!

My son has been using magnesium citrate for awhile. Its the only form that seems to absorb into his system. Its 250 mg per capsule. Talk to your doctor about a safe dosage that is safe for you to take.

I get the twitches too, but I also get a pinching sensation that feels like it's just below the skin. It comes on suddenly, just like a twitch. I wonder if this is along the same lines?

I have random muscle twitches which I pretty much ignore as it is one of my least worriesome symptoms. The most annoying are ones in your eye. One time during my biggest flare last year, my eye twitched every waking hour for 3 months without relenting. Annoying!

Low dopamine levels can also cause problems with twitching, shaking, and tremors.