Anesthesia

Linj10

I am having an epidural pain block in the morning and am being fully put under. It's been over 5 years since I last had anesthesia and was not dealing with MVP and dysautonomia at the time.

I told the PA and she said not to worry the anesthesiologist was great and they'd keep me in recovery a little longer than usual.

Anyone have problems with anesthesia? Side effects or reactions?

I went under full anesthesia about 8 months ago. I was still searching for a diagnosis but I definitely had POTS at the time and I'm pretty symptomatic (largely housebound).

Anyway, it went just fine for me! No complications and I felt normal (for post-anesthesia) afterwards.

Good luck!

The last time I went under I had significant problems, but that was 30 years ago in Germany and I don't know wht they used on me. I could NOT snap out of it, I kept passing out again and again even as they were trying to get me out the door to my ride (it was an outpatient procedure). I went straight to bed and slept for 20 hours, waking up the following day. I had no idea what day it was when I finally came to. It was scarey, but I remember I felt really euphoric once I woke up! Everything seemed particularly alive and wonderful. Maybe you should remind them to carefully monitor your blood pressure

I have had anesthesia 3 times since I have been ill. The first time I woke up early and then had extreme nausea for around 24 hours after, I was pumped full of anti-nausea meds because I had thyroid surgery so they definitely did not want me puking and irritating my throat/neck area. Second time was pretty tame with no real problems other than a ramping up of my POTS symptoms, and the third time was just twilight sedation and I vomited pretty heavily afterwards but bounced back more quickly. If you are prone to nausea I would really press the issue of getting lots and lots of anti-nausea meds for your recovery, if you are like me you may need more than an "average" person.

You're goint to feel strange afterwards of course, but at least in my case I don't think I've had much more problems with it than anyone without dysautonomia or POTS. Just make sure if you are uncomfortable you are firm with them about what you need! Good luck : )

Be sure you speak to your anesthesiologist before surgery - sometimes, they are not familiar with dysautonomia and need to have the chance to read-up on protocols for induction and types of medication they should use and the types to avoid...........insist on IV hydration with saline both before surgery and after surgery - you will recover better and faster......

I have problems with twilight and general anaesthesia and have found IV saline to help. Not the full answer but every bit of help counts.

I'm now having trouble with dental anaesthesia (with no adrenalin added). Am having skin/allergic type reactions to it that are getting stronger each time now. I need dental work done now but am waiting to see my allergist in May before having more dental work. Last few times I've taken anti-histamines before, on the day and days after dental surgery but last time the adverse reaction was enough to scare me off from more dental work until I speak to my allergist. SCARE is exactly the right word here. I can't always be brave.

I also want to ask the allergist if we add the adrenalin back in (haven't had that for years before I was diagnosed with pots because of the increased heart rate thing) perhaps by isolating the anaesthesia and numbness it might also isolate and stop the whole adverse skin reaction -- that involves increased agitation too --. I.E. Suffer in the chair instead of maybe suffering after for much longer. ****, having adrenalin in my anaesthesia is a scary thought too. Not sure I'm game.

blue