How Do Yiu Prepare For A Colonoscopy With Pots?

lynnie22

Get a blanket and be prepared to sit for awhile ---wrap up and get the heater on. I always freeze during the prep. I found out you can put it into a clear liquid and it disguises the taste ---don't use the flavor things they give you as they are awful. Be ready to be miserable for a few hours. I also have issues with nausea with it. Have a support system to try to keep your spirits up and to hold your hand every so often.

As for the procedure itself. I had no problems. They knew which meds to use for least side effects for me and didn't put me all the way out ---just into the don't care zone.

Hope all goes well. I've had more of these then I like to say ---really lost count. Thankfully, won't have to do it again any time soon.

Issie

I tried to prep for an outpatient colonoscopy back in January. Fasting (only jello and clear broth) gave me a bad headache. My blood pressure was low and I felt horrible, so I went for IV saline that evening, as I have a prescription for it. They were rushing to give me as much fluids as they could before closing the clinic.I had an episode during saline infusion. That put me in bed for 2 days. I had to cancel the procedure.

After talking to my doctor about it, he decided to do the procedure in a hospital. They admitted me a night before. I was on a slow drip IV saline with glucose. I was able to prep and go through a procedure without any problems. I did talk to anesthesiologist before the procedure. He was aware of my condition and reassured me that he can deal with sudden heart rate or blood pressure change. He gave me mild dose of anesthetic (they said I was lifting my head from time to time, I don't remember it) and they monitored my blood pressure and heart rate. I felt much safer going through it in a hospital setting. Maybe you can discuss that option with your doctor.

Staying hydrated was no problem because they have you drink lots of fluids with the prep product. But what I'd watch for is anything with citrate of magnesium---last time it gave me major nausea. Otherwise, the whole thing is a piece of cake. This time the nurse said to use a Fleet enema instead of the magnesium. She said lots of people react to that and she doesn't know why he keeps recommending it!

You will probably do just great. They had a hard time waking me up because I was enjoying my post procedure nap LOL!

They had me drink magnesium and miralax..like issie said wrap up and get warm and brace urself ugh..lots and lots and lots of powerade or whatever hydrating drink u can have...just stay super hydrated and warm (if ur not hotblooded of course) i was terrified, a 31 yr old women who made the nurse literally hold my hand!! lol And after i woke up i wanted to go back under lol no issues with the procedure..that same day i had a contrast cat scan and the night before had a nucleur stress test....i was probaly glowing in the dark by the time i was done...lol but all went well and i enjoyed the nap!

I had a colonoscopy about 1 year before my POTS Diagnosis. I told the GI doctor that I was super sensitive to medication (I had no idea at the time what POTS was or that I had it). In any case, I was given a "cocktail" of Fentanyl and Versed. Things did not go well..... I did not "come out of it" as planned. My first memories several hours after the procedure were dizzy, disoriented, severe nausea, vomiting. I was in the hospital all day and was finally released later in the evening (my colonoscopy at 10:00 am). They were doing all kind of bloodwork, wheeling me around the hospital for additional imaging, all of which I only vaguely remember. They could not figure out what was wrong with me! I have no idea if what I experienced had to do with POTS specifically, or just a bad reaction to those specific drugs. I wish I had known I had POTS (explains my overreaction to almost any medication, etc.) so that I could have had some extra oversight, extra fluids, milder sedation/perhaps a different combo of drugs, etc.

I work in this department and most patients come in dehydrated because your large intestine is where you absorb water...and when it is coming out fast...well you get the picture.

I would recommend loading up on fluid with electrolytes the day you are suppose to start the prep. Monitor your blood pressure while drinking the prep, if it falls in the low range you might want to get some IV fluid. The day of your procedure just let the Nurses know about your condition. They will rehydrate you with some IV fluids.

We use conscious sedation for the procedure, it will bring the blood pressure down, but we usually just push fluids to raise it, and if that doesn't work we have medications to raise it too. You will be monitored the whole time. It is a pretty safe procedure, I have been in that field for 13 years without any bad events.

Hi

I had This done a few years back. I was in a really bad pots place at the time. I got electrolyt drinking stuff and two difrent cleaning the system stuff. That was the worst for me. I was alone doing the prep. And i really really wished i was not. It was not fun. And also i fearednthat i wouldnt clean out prob and ending up getting it canselled ( almost did). But i got trou it. And luckly had someone bring me to the hospital and back home.

I did it Whit out any drugs what so ever. Didnt whant any bad reactions. And the nurses preping me was well not helpfull or very nice at all. She places my wheelchair out of reach and said so why dont u work etc etc. A charming creatur.

But the doc was nice , stressede out and Whit lilte time. But he very profesional during the col it self. It was a bitt painfull, like bad gass. But i preferd it to a reaction to meds. But it seems from the other postings here that most People is well monitored and loked after during it all.

So all togetter the worst was the fasting and cleaning of systemthe day before. But i do think th electrolite drink ( tasted awfull, like the other stuff) helped me getting trou. I Made up the fluids i had to drink, stayed in bed ( or restroom) for the prep period.

Best of luck :)

I had a colonoscopy done about only a few months before I got my diagnosis of POTS. I was so dehydrated by the prep and fasting that I got a migraine. Rehydration with an IV during and after did not get rid of my migraine as it does with most people. I had to endure it for the following 5 days (not something that the colon place. Plus I could barely walk from the car to the surgery for the procedure. I felt really sick. I survived it of course but there would be better ways to do it.

Now when I do anything involving fasting I fast for the shortest amount of time possible. Eg.. Fasting before abdominal ultrasound a couple of weeks ago. Receptionist told me to have my dinner the night before and not to eat or drink anything until after the procedure. I'm now wisened up to this. I asked her exactly the shortest amount of time before the ultrasound I had to stop drinking. She said six hours. So I set my alarm for just before 3am and drank a heap of water then. I had the procedure at just after 9am and although I was dehydrated and feeling the beginnings of migraine I was not too bad. I could certainly walk okay.

If I ever had to do a colonoscopy again I would insist on being hospitalized for the preparation and the procedure. I've been hospitalized for an ultrasound endoscopy. I went in the night before, started fasting when it was time. Was wheeled in my bed to the surgery and given the twilight sedation. I was so good after that I went home that evening. Only to wake at midnight to realize I'd had an adverse skin reaction to the sedation medications which was painful but knew how to deal with it. Although, next time -- it has to be checked every year and i'm '6 months overdue now -- I will opt to stay in hospital for the night following the procedure.

If hospitalization is not an option for me, anything involving fasting etc. means that I ask to be first in line for the procedure. The first person of the day to have it done. I'll wait for a date that suits. I always find people to be most accommodating. Generally most medical people are kind and when I explain how fasting/dehydration affects me now (and has doe for years) they are more than willing to give

blueme a date when I can go first. Even for fasting blood tests.

wow, it's good to hear all your stories. Most of you sound like you've had pretty good experiences, although it is very clear that alot of fluids beforehand and during is really important. I had an endoscopy about a year ago without a problem, but my POTS has gotten worse. It does sound like a good idea to try to have it in the hospital. I have always for years used this gastro in a practice but haven't done a colonoscopy in over 10 years....way overdue with some symptoms. He never heard of POTS. None of my doctors except the cardiologist and POTS doctor have. They know nothing about needing to be hydrated, and look at you blankly. "POTS. What?" And then I have to explain.

But your advise is great, very helpful. I was going to set it up with the doc I usually use but have been concerned because of it not being a hospital and his lack of knowledge of POTS and my concerns, so I may change my venue. Badhbt, I have no access to IV fluids on my own, but I can certainly have some when I have the procedure. Sometimes, when I'm on these boards, I feel like NYC is a hick town and some of you have much better access to POTS-wise healthcare.