Male Potsies...

In June of 2012 when this happened I had hair loss that was barely visible. Now, it's completely visible and seems like every month is getting progressively worse. It could be coincidental but on the top of my head where I'm experiencing hair loss, it's always numb-feeling like it's being starved of blood.

I brought this up to my doctor and he ordered a testosterone blood test and the result was:

10.7 pg/mL

Standard range: 9.3 - 26.5

"Your testosterone level was normal. This is an important hormone in men that helps

support muscle strength and sex drive. Let me know if your symptoms do not improve
over the next few months."

They say best indicator of baldness is your Grandfather on your mother's side. My Grandpa's 87 and he has a lot of hair loss on top of his head however he had a full head of hair well into his 70's (not sure how that translates to me, though).

Most docs think that it's the DHT that is the problem with hair loss. Some people have used things like pumpkin seeks and saw palmetto to help prevent the bad conversion. Some people saw it helps ---others think it's a waste of money. There can be genetics at play here too. 23&me looks at your genes and can tell you if you have a tendency to baldness.

Issie

Okay, another question for you guys that are losing/lost your hair.....Do any of you have symptoms of Mast Cell issues. Christy and I have talked about this because of her son --cause we found some info indicating that there could be a connection with Mast Cell issue and losing your hair. Yeah, her son has a lovely head of hair ----it would be sad :(

Issie

I've read an article, can't remember where, that is connecting to much PGD2 to hair loss. Unfortunately my son's PGD2 levels were 2.5 times to high.

Thanks Issie, I do love his hair. I can't picture him without it.

I think that's where the connection with mast cell came into play --something to do with the aspirin. I'm having a bit of a brain fog day today.

Ha! Christy ---this is supposed to be for males. There is only a few women brave enough, so far, to jump in on this one. Ha!Ha!

Issie

EDIT --- Looks like AussieOI is female and Anoj - isn't telling --so don't know. Few women so far.

I've had a few surgeries under gen. an and noticed scaring hair loss after them. Fortunately everything came back but could there be a connection? General aneasthetics also sets my dys off enormously and my docs and I decided that for me it is a no no unless life threatening.

No hair issues here at 30 - I have enough problems, so I'm thankful that this isn't one of them. My grandfather on my mother's side had thinning hair as he got really old, but aside that still had hair. I'm wondering if one has to be prone to MPB via genetics for there to be any effect.

Another female weighing in...but since so many of us have been complaining about how much hair we're losing since onset of this disease, maybe we're allowed? Not bald, YET! But when I see the massive wads in the drain all the time and the hair everywhere else all day long, I wonder how long it can last.

So is aspirin supposed to help the P2G2?

Yes, it is supposed to help. But, it could make MCAS worse. Have to go slow and low and see how it works for you. I couldn't take it. And as a female - I'm losing mine too. Mine is actually an autoimmune issue with alopecia. I just got another handful today, when I washed my hair. It's so frustrating. I think, okay - doing better - then there is more gone. I went to the dermatologist and he had me try sitting under the laser light cap and that did nothing. I also had injections into the area where the immune system attacked my hair. It did mostly come back in that spot --but, what came back came back in silver. Probably due to the vitiligo ---another autoimmune issue. But, I sort of like the silver streak. I personally think there is some sort of immune system connection with me ---maybe with all the potsies????

Issie

Oh, FYI when you lose hair - the hair actually turned lose 3 months earlier and that's how long it takes for it to fall out. With alopecia, it can be brought on by a stressful situation and the docs will ask you if something happened three months earlier to correlate with the hair loss.

• 2 weeks later...

I started losing hair around 16 years old, seemed to get better for awhile, then started falling out again ~25. Both sides of my family have male pattern baldness and I also was severely anorexic back in the day, so multiple contributing factor. Still, worth looking into nonetheless.

I'm not male myself, but I have some hair problems. My hair use to be really thick, soft, and curly/really wavy, but now it's a pretty sad version of itself. I've lost a lot of volume, it is no longer soft and feels kind of grainy, and limp waves. When I brush my hair, the hair loss doesn't seem out of the normal healthy range, but my hair is nowhere near how thick or 'big' as it use to be.

so did any of you have symptoms of precocious puberty?

One of my twin sons has had an early puberty, he is almost 18 just had some xrays done on hip and knees and the first thing the Dr. mentioned was how my son has very very mature bones and a body of a much older man!

so did any of you have symptoms of precocious puberty?

One of my twin sons has had an early puberty, he is almost 18 just had some xrays done on hip and knees and the first thing the Dr. mentioned was how my son has very very mature bones and a body of a much older man!

Not at all here, but also had anorexia going on from ~12 years old onward through most of the growing years, so I might be a bad example. Despite being 6'2", my bone structure is extremely thin/small. Wrists are tiny, hands are small for my size, but long fingers. Normal-sized feet though.