Excercise And Pots

AussieOI

Thanks again Racer, I've actually used a VDOT values chart and its corresponding pace levels chart as a guide for several years pre-POTS and autoimmune issues. I agree that getting testing in a hospital is more accurate, but using the VDOT values chart is much less expensive. I also completely agree that this doesn't account for terrain. You would need to run similar terrain when using the values chart and the pace level chart. I'm a bit confused your distinction between a training system and a training tool. In my eyes both of Daniel's system and the heart monitor would be tools. I tend to think of a system more in lines with a schedule and the philosophy behind it. Will you please explain to me some more your thoughts?

Nice job keeping hitting a 17:43 post-diagnosis. My times have plummeted despite solid efforts.

Anyone else feel that in relation to exercise its like one day you can do heaps and the next day a 'switch' has been switched and you cant do much and get bad rebound symptoms?

Boy, do I second this. Two weeks ago at PT I went into 45 minutes of full body tremors, numbness, shortness of breath, and clenched hands and feet after only 10 leg lifts. That's a small fraction of what I normally do. Why that day and not others? If you can't figure out the trigger, then how do you learn to avoid it?

It seems really hard for non-dysautonomia people to understand "the switch." They see you out in public one day looking fine, and then they don't understand why you're "sick."

I have tired to exercise, I have a recumbent bike, but find it really hard. When i exercise, my heart races more for the entire day. I guess it's because I'm so out of shape. I really believe in the importance of exercise for so many reasons with POTS, and think a PT is a great idea. My neuro actually have be a script for exercise specifically to improve orthostatic intolerance. I haven't been yet, and am curious what that would be. I am pretty new here, so I do not know Levine's exercise program. I assume I can look it up?

You have to sign a waver saying you will not release the details of Dr Levine's program before you can be given it. I understand it is quite intensive with the idea of pushing hard. But some swear by it. Ive heard some impressive results from some people. Still others cant tolerate it. I guess its one of those one size fits all scenarios.

Exercise has many different mechanisms that could improve POTS symptoms. It improves your skeletal muscle pump's strength, aiding blood flow throughout the body. It regulates nitric oxide which also assists in blood flow. It strengthens venuous return which reduces tachycardia.

Which is an important characteristic. Even in normal athletes, resting heart rates decrease with endurance exercise. It is possible to modify one's tachycardia through exercise alone.

In addition, exercise boosts parasympathetic control of the heart, so it directly affects the autonomic nervous system. It also has regulatory roles on the Renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system.

It also lowers serum norepinephrine levels and raises blood volume.

In short, exercise is probably the best treatment for POTS there is.

thank you for saying all this; i should print it out for inspiration as a reminder that exercise changes our chemistry in some way - it's not just as simple as "getting things moving."

After my second POTS relapse I exercised to the point where I was fitter than ever before in my life and it was the time that I basically felt that I had cured my POTS through exercise. It had a massive impact on symptoms back in 2005-2008.

But since about 2008 Ive had a few worse relapses for what ever reason and Ive had more trouble getting back to that level of fitness. If I go too hard to early I pay for it rather than feeling benefit. I can still run quite often between relapses even up to 5kms three times a week for about two years without too many problems but Im not as convinced that its a magic cure in my case any more. It certainyl didnt stop me getting a relapse unfortunately and when I do I have to stop and go back to square one exercise wise which is very annoying because I lose all my fit looking legs and arms, etc.

when i hear you talk about "relapse" and "second relapse," it really scares me. :o

Nice job keeping hitting a 17:43 post-diagnosis. My times have plummeted despite solid efforts.

Oh NO, that was hypothetical lol, they use the "17:43" on the vdot as a example. I am not much of a runner.

In my eyes both of Daniel's system and the heart monitor would be tools. I tend to think of a system more in lines with a schedule and the philosophy behind it. Will you please explain to me some more your thoughts?

I guess my point was that the vdot is based on averages, and is a system used to make a training plan. While heart rate is only a tool that gives you the absolute value to go by, and can be used in conjunction with any plan along with appropriate target zones.

In my experience, in training, a system would be something like the vdot calculator you use to make a training plan. Any sort of system, "program", gimmick, that is used to make a training plan. A training plan is the specific workouts you want to do, all planned out. A schedule is the training plan on a calender. You should be able to change your schedule as needed, but still be able to stay on plan.

For instance, when I start a year, I first think of the goals I want to accomplish over that year. Next, I come up with a specific plan to accomplish those goals. My plan has specific workouts and how often I want to do these workouts. Next I roughly place my plan on a calendar. The goals are marked on the calendar, and I keep track of my progress on this calendar. The plan is to achieve a goal, so if I find myself unable to accomplish a specific workout, I adapt by changing the plan inorder to still accomplish the goal.

Regardless of what you do, or how you do it, the key to a successful plan is flexibility in the schedule and a focus on your goals. Many people are to rigid in a plan and only focus on completing x number of workouts in a week. Trying to follow to rigid of a schedule and focusing to much on individual workouts leads to failure for most people. Focusing on missed workouts and bad workouts does not help people achieve there goals, while focusing on adapting to keep goals in focus does help. No one can plan for illness and injury in a workout plan, so the only option is to adapt.

Thanks Ram for the info about Dr. Levine's program. I don't think I'm up to anything very strenuous. But I didn't realize that PT can actually help your whole body get in shape. The PT I go to does one muscle group at a time, by prescription. I think I'd better check out other resources. As far as rebound, that's me also. One day I can walk and bike and the next day I'm exhausted.

Thanks Racer. I'm following you now. What type of biking do you do: road, track, TT, mtb?

After my second POTS relapse I exercised to the point where I was fitter than ever before in my life and it was the time that I basically felt that I had cured my POTS through exercise. It had a massive impact on symptoms back in 2005-2008.

But since about 2008 Ive had a few worse relapses for what ever reason and Ive had more trouble getting back to that level of fitness. If I go too hard to early I pay for it rather than feeling benefit. I can still run quite often between relapses even up to 5kms three times a week for about two years without too many problems but Im not as convinced that its a magic cure in my case any more. It certainyl didnt stop me getting a relapse unfortunately and when I do I have to stop and go back to square one exercise wise which is very annoying because I lose all my fit looking legs and arms, etc.

when i hear you talk about "relapse" and "second relapse," it really scares me. :o

Sorry - dont mean to freak you out. One of my relapses only lasted a few months if that makes you feel any better!

i have found so far that walking 20 minutes at best helps, although it may only be beneficial for psychological reasons i.e. that i can say i did it it, but when I do, it seems that it generally makes me super tired, certainly not noticed benefits the next day. i think it is helpful to stay "conditioned" but I don't believe in the whole levine/exercise/cardiac theory

luv yoga, still get tired but in a better way