Muscle Spasms/muscle Facculations Anyone?

tpapik

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It seems when one symptom gets better I get another. I tried searching on here with not much luck so im starting a new thread. I am in the process of being maybe diagnosed with SFN. Lately I have had more energy, sleep well, no more chest pain (I had that for a while but think it was my birth control I stopped that and its gone) , no more nausea really...

But i started to have Muscle spasms or medical term for it "Muscle facculations" does anyone else with POTS have this symptom? It is a little concerning but not sure what to take of it.

If you answered in the poll "Under certain circumstances" what do you find may be causing it?

Thanks!

Yes, I've been having terrible problems recently, blepharospasm and oromandibular dystonia. I've shattered two molars, my jaw also keeps clamping shut, and the muscles around my lips close so tightly sometimes I can't open my mouth probably. I don't know what to make of it either, these problems are common in EDS (which I have) however I'm sure they are also exacerbated by sympathetic overactivity, they get worse with stress, drugs like nortripytiline, so I'm sure they are related to POTS. Mine are so bad I'm asking to be referred for Botox treatment.

The underlying cause in EDS is supposed to be poor proprioception feedback which mean inappropriately strong messages are sent to muscles. However, my spasms seemed to appear and worsen over exactly the same time time frame as the POTS and other weird autonomic symptoms, so I think it's more likely in my case to be either related to the drugs I've taken for the POTS (clonidine, pregabalin) or have the same underlying neural pathology as the POTS (some deficits of cholinergic innervation of muscles perhaps?) The EMG tests I had the same day as the autonomic ones apparently showed I have widespread muscle rigidity.

can clonidine cause muscle twitches? mine arnt bad or painful, but just suddenly my calf will twitch or my wrist or my upper arm its weird

I have been getting these twitches off and on since October. They are more like jerks, because the limb that is effected actually will move. I usually have them when I am resting on the couch. They are like the sleep starts that you can get before going to sleep. They are like popcorn..you never know where they will go off.

I am getting an EEG.....It will probably be normal......UGGHH :)

Has anyone complaining about this had their magnesium levels checked?

Sometimes these fasciculations can be caused by a magnesium deficit. If that's the case supplementing Mg should help.

Florinef is known to deplete your body of potassium and magnesium, so if you're taking florinef you might want to address this issue with your dr and see if taking magnesium is the right option for you

Alex

Do your twiches/jerks happen when resting or while sleeping?

While in an epilepsy monitoring unit, I was diagnosed with hypnic jerks. As I understand it, your body gets caught between wakefulness and sleep. For me, sometimes an entire limb jerks, and sometimes just in one finger twitches. Other times mine are so strong that my whole body literally leaps off the bed. I finally knew that I wasn't just dreaming when I landed and the whole bed creaked. Mine are usually exacerbated by a flare-up of symptoms and stress.

• 2 years later...

I have had fasciculations on and off for most of my life. More recently I notice that it seems to happen when my NA is low ....now that My md is keeping track of sodium. Mine are painless but distracting.

I had severe limb jumps after getting Lyme with brain involvement . I was kept awake once for 4 days without one single wink of sleep. It prevented me from falling asleep. I too Would have just fallen asleep and awakened by whole body jumps.... Nightmare it was! I was told it fell under the umbrella of epilepsy and so I need to avoid anti depressants as they lower the seizure threshold. Not that I could tolerate them anyway....bizarre side effects. Antibiotics for Lyme put a stop to the limb movements as I had Lyme encephalitis. Now off them but left with some issues still and clonapin helps but sometimes I get breakthrough myoclonus. The nighttime jumps were referred to as nocturnal myoclonus yet I can get this during the day.

Sometimes I can feel it in my head when the jerk occurs even if it is just my thumb jerking..like a quick flick feeling in my head. It's creepy.

Thanks for starting this thread.

I sometimes feel like there is a cell phone on vibration in my chest.
For a couple of weeks, I was getting strong contractions near my left armpit. It causes dizziness at times. One day, my left arm was getting contractions all day, One day, near my eye. One day, it was my thumb on left hand. Recently, I noticed my left calf muscle was getting micro-contractions and a lot. It has been on going for 1 month. The right calf is getting them but less.

It mostly seems to be on the left side of my body, but the right gets it as well.

• 2 months later...

Not sure why this post showed at the top of my feed...looks rather old. Anyway...

You are talking 2 different things. Fasciculations are just twitching. Spasms are cramps, like a charley horse.

If I start having twitching, I fix it by upping my potassium. If I have spasms (usually a charley horse for me), I fix it by upping my magnesium. Both are effective, every time.

I am so glad it came up! I went to urgent care last night because my lip would not stop twitching and numb and tingling and was up to my eye. No pain, just uncontrollable twitching, they said it was fine and most likey from stress or meds....I just said nope but since I. See to be ok, on my way home I go.

I get very bad spasms( IBS confirmed) so seeing this just makes me feel more relief and maybe this is just one more thing to share with my cardiologist....while waiting for 'official ' diagnosis

Thanks for the potassium recommendation. I have twitching at times. The cell phone vibrating in the chest.... yes! Or sometimes it feels like an engine revving. So weird. And I have the jaw spasms, too, despite taking extra magnesium.

About the Cell phone vibrations in chest, left side, above breast. I was getting this often too. It would come for a month and then go away for a while.

I have been taking venlafaxine (Effexor XR) 70 mg and it seems to have stopped.

I get horrible twitching in my calves. It seems to sometimes be induced by certain kind of exercise, especially movements like jogging in place. I also get extremely painful nocturnal leg cramps pretty regularly, although eating bananas and taking magnesium seems to help a bit.