Family History

Aimes

Family History  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just wondering about everyone's family history. We obviously all have different types of POTS and symptoms but I'm curious if there seems to be a genetic link. I've already decided I'm going to have a very hard time not worrying about my daughters' health. My oldest is two and my youngest is five months. I'm praying they don't have this!

My Mother has had anxiety most of her life. She has had some POTs type symptoms but that's just my thought; that perhaps she has some dysautonomia that created the anxiety. However reality is when she just takes a little bit of xanax most of her symptoms disappear. I'm not a doctor so I really don't know which came first for her. She could be straight up anxiety - Lord knows I've spent my entire life being her crutch. My 14 year old has some symptoms that I'm watching - mostly eczema/allergy in nature. I'm not going to rush to make a wrong decision/diagnosis for her but she's on my radar....otherwise she is very healthy. I agree that thinking about a child living this life is haunting.

Sister has chronic fatigue that has mostly improved (hers was a very definitive case of chronic mono which finally disappeared after multiple years), but denied any ANS issues after I asked her a few times on my and my ANS neurologist's thought. We don't know about mom, since she died when I was 15, but I don't recall anything; she was often on the couch but she had cancer for 10 years, and it was definitely a result of chemo, not ANS issues. Mom and sister have/had much milder versions of my joint hypermobility. If I have kids I sure hope they avoid this if possible!

I was pleased when the medical student who attended my neurology appointment a week ago asked about this! (in general I was pleased - a medical student, not even a fellow/resident, learning about POTS! and he had good questions, but also asked about my life outside of POTS, which was great. he was very curious why I am on a beta blocker and clonidine but eat salt (neurologist: "general volume expander, seems to help but doesn't hurt") and similar questions - great education)

Thank you for the responses. My extended family members have a lot of poor health. My grandmother has had severe joint pain as long as she can remember and she sits to do everything (even cook). She has never mentioned any Orthostatic intolerance though. My grandfather also had strange health. He would have episodes where he couldn't get out of bed for extended periods of time (one lasted four years) but back then they just called it a nervous breakdown. I have my doubts about that. His father also had episodes similar to this and had a year long episode of being bed-bound when he was in his forties. My immediate family has no symptoms. They are all quite active. My brother has the same insensitivity to anesthesia that I have but beyond that nothing quirky. I'm hopeful that my daughters won't have this. My oldest has more energy than most two year olds which my mom says is already a good sign. I was apparently low energy from a very young age. I am taking my youngest in for a check-up today as I've noticed her pupils are very different sizes. They both dialate fine and she seems to be developing fine so hopefully it's nothing serious but I have her on my radar! ;-)

I have lots of family genetic issues. My maternal grandmother had all the signs of POTS and EDS but was never DX'd. My sis has OI and two of her kids have either OI or POTS and EDS (doc's think). My mom has all the signs of MCAS. My dad has AS and neuropathy really bad and gets dizzy. Lots of bad genetics in my family.

Issie

I just don't like today's environmental issues....and I always wonder about the quality of my air, food, soil, water...etc as a trigger to more people becoming affected. Not to mention the rat race that mentally I just don't believe as a human race we were meant to withstand all the pressure we put on ourselves. {2 cents added}

Relax86, I agree that our environment needs fixing and we all need to be aware of the damage we're causing. However, I truly don't believe that's the root of my problems. I grew up on a ranch in the Dakotas. There is no cleaner air on the planet, our drinking water came from a fresh spring by our house, we ate beef that we fed and raised ourselves, not a lot of unnecessary chemicals in our house. The rat race is a definite factor as I felt immensely better after quitting my job to be a stay-at-home mom. Obviously chemicals, pollutants, and preservatives do not help our health but for me at least, I don't think it's the cause of my problems.

I dont accept that POTS is always genetic. In fact there was some recent evidence that suggests that in maybe 4 out of 20 patients it an acquired illness via abherant promoter chromatin modifications. But other forms may be genetic - NET deficiency was found to be genetic in one family and the Ace 2 abnormality in high Ang II pots was suggested to be a genetic defect.

Genetics are often just predispositions - like HLA B27 in Ankylosing Spondylitis - nearly all Ank Spond patients have HLA-B27 but only 1 in 5 people with HLA-B27 develop Ankylosing Spondylitis.

I hope that not all inherited genetic predispositions turn on ---because I have a whole lot of bad genetics ----confirmed as inherited ----that I don't want to turn on. :) Hoping to be able to use diet and supplemental support to hopefully prevent further possible issues with those things. (EPIGENETICS)

Issie

Hi ...my grandmother had addisons, hypotension and my mom has mvp, tachy, and hypotension but no auto testing and my kids ='( are now having symptoms...minor some days but mostly cardiac symptoms and dizzy spells. I appear to be the one most affected for the longest time, since birth, and i hope my kids are spared and grow out of it ...=( ugh