What Is Your Resting Heartrate When You Feel Good?

abbyw

Hi,

Sorry for the newbie question, but what is your hr when you feel good?

I find that some days when I feel bad, even if I am lying down, my hr is in the 90's. I thought that technically, this is an OK pulse, but on days that I am feeling fine, my hr will be more in the 70's when resting. Does that make sense?

Mind you, this is not related to whether I am standing or sitting, etc.

Thanks,

Abby

I'm not even entirely sure I have pots, but I am pretty sure I have some sort of OI. In the mornings, especially after taking a shower, my RHH will be somewhere around 70-80. After a few hours, it will get to around 65-70. Then, when I am sleepy, it will usually be around 57-63.

Also, I would like to point out it depends on how much I am focusing on it, or if I am feeling anxious (I have an anxiety disorder). From what I have read, you shouldn't be concerned with your heart rate too much as long as if you are having dizziness, chest pains, shortness of breath that doesn't subside with resting.

When I was on propanalol, it was in the 50's-low 60's. Now that I'm off, I'm still trying to figure out what a "normal" is for me. I've been sick recently so it's been varying a lot.

Don't know if you saw that thread I started on Post exertional Malaise, exercise, ANS dysfunction and the immune system a couple days ago, but in there, the doc was saying it was really important to know your resting HR and not to exercise on a day when your HR was 8-10% higher than your normal resting HR in order to avoid PEM and triggering ANS issues and the resultant immune issues.

Abbyw,

I rarely have a "good day". I really don't know what my normal resting hr is, before POTS, I never even gave bp or hr a second thought. If I had to guess, I would probably say in the low 70's and gets lower when I sleep. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter if my hr is in the lower 70's or the 140's, I still feel bad. Not much help here, sorry.

Hope you feel better :)

It depends.

I have days when 60-80 feels OK, other times even 90's are fine, yet there is no relationship between my RHR and how I feel. Now for ex my HR is 72 and I feel miserable.

Alex

resting high ninties, sitting 115-125, standing 130-140,doing an activity like making the bed last night 165-170. heart feels like it is pounding out of my chest ususally having chest pain anddizzyness by then. i go three days a week for i.v. fluids due to a failure at all the medications. the d. call the fluids a success the get the h.r. down to 100......i dream of the day i can drive more than a half hour and not want to sleep in the back of the car. can't wait for the day i can go on long walks or walk on the beach again or ride the bike i got the day before i got massive pulminary embalisms which exasperated all my symtems. i onder what it is like to have a heart rte in the 60's or 70's i keep thinking mine is gonna wear out from beating so fast all the time.

Hi Abbyw, - I'm a newbie too. Like you I feel best when my resting HR is in the 70's.

However, I don't seem to fit the usual POTS category as a 48 holter recording showed I was bradycardic almost 2/3 rds of the time with night pulse going down to 38bpm. My DAY HR lying down averages 50's-60's, sitting averages are in the 70's and standing can be anywhere from 80's to 130 within one minute. I have very low blood pressure as well but FLORINEF has helped normalize that.

Hi,

I'm pretty new myself but have had POTS for almost three years. I just posted wondering why my HR is going up and BP is so erratic. In any case, my resting HR varies a lot. It is usually in the 70's, but when I take inderol which I do everyday, it can go into the upper 50's. The last few days it has been close to 100.

low 90's during the day, sitting at my desk at work. but I am not on beta blockers. i just read a study today that was actually from 2004: indicated beta blockers do nothing for us pots patients in the long run. I am uncomfortable when my bp is lower or higher than normal, or my hr is over 115 sitting without activity.

Thanks Angela,

got it.

It seems though (I just skimmed through the article) that the study states that betas are ineffective for those who faint (vasovagal syncope), not for POTS patients. Did I read that wrong?

From what I know beta blockers are suggested as the first line of treatment for POTS patients - obviously for those of us who are able to tolerate them.

Alex

not all pots patients pass out, I don't but some do which is why I thought that was interesting. However more pots patients that I know or have a personal relationship with didn't seem 2 benefit off of bb's, thats just what I have observed, just saying. more issues come into play I suppose, such as parasites/lyme/protozoa, eds, mcad, etc.

I have inappropriate sinus tach so my resting HR is too high most of the time. I actually feel 'best' when it's in the 90s to 110's. Below 80 and I start feeling cold and everything seems to move slowly. I'm hoping to eventually find meds that will lower my HR... maybe once I get used to a slower HR it won't feel so strange.

The article is indeed making sense, no doubt about that, and I'm not arguing with the fact that bb's are not helping, in fact I'm trying to take myself off propranolol for now and see if that helps. I believe that betas have actually made me worse -I never had such low BP before, never been dizzy or lightheaded either. Plus I suspect several other issues I'm fighting can be side effects from the propranolol, as I never dealt with them prior to being diagnosed. (to be honest I was really hoping that the article will provide me with some evidence for my personal observations).

You're right Angela, POTS is super complex and I believe it takes a very thorough dr and a perseverent patient as well to figure out its root cause. In my opinion, only once the cause is known you can effectively and efficiently address the symptoms, otherwise the treatment is hit and miss.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Alex