Treatment For Lightheadedness?

Leigh8

Hi all,

I have a diagnosis of autonomic dysfunction with orthostatic hypotension (I do not have POTS). My main symptoms is constant lightheadedness, that has been going on for over 5 years. There has not been a single moment in the past 5 years when I did not feel at least somewhat lightheaded.

I am on 20 mg Prozac, .2 mg of florinef and take midodrine as well. My doctor keeps increasing the midodrine dosage, but it still makes no difference in my lightheadedness. I drink tons of water, salt load, and wear compression socks too. This doesn’t help me either.

I feel like at this point I have exhausted all my options, which is really disappointing because this lightheadedness is so debilitating and I would do anything to get rid of it.

So my question is – have any of you had success in treating lightheadedness? What did you do? Thanks for the help.

I have near-constant lightheadedness, too. Although yours sounds like it might be worse. Meds don't seem to help my lightheadedness and compression stockings don't seem to be doing anything either. I do have two things I'm working on that might have some potential

I have a friend who improved dramatically after doing the Levine exercise protocol and she has convinced me to look into it. I can go for a walk, but honestly I can't imagine running or riding a bike. I think I would be too miserable. However, this past weekend I went on a hike and felt pretty good. It was on a trail that was on an incline, but it wasn't so steep that I couldn't walk fast. I felt like my usual lightheaded self when I started out. But I really picked up the pace and got my heart rate up to 140 and my lightheadedness almost disappeared. It came back as soon as I slowed down. But I actually felt good as long as I was keeping my heart rate up. This makes me think that some regular intense exercise might really help. I'll be sure to post my progress.

The other thing I'm doing is biofeedback. I've only had 2 appointments so far, but the results have been amazing. I still feel lightheaded, but it is really calming my system down and I am hopeful that it will help with the lightheadedness. I have noticed that I can stand up longer if I practice my breathing when I'm standing. Again, I'll post more about my biofeedback experience.

Amy

I think Farmer Amy is making a good point. I had constant lightheadness too, and when I started yoga it ever so gradually got better. Three years later I don't have it anymore, thank goodness. Hope I haven't jinxed myself now!

Strengthening my legs has really helped me and I take a yoga class three times a week faithfully. When I first started, I frequently could not finish a class so don't be too tough on yourself at first. It took me months to feel better and again, it was a very gradual process. Hope this helps you. Lightheadedness is the WORST.

I have also been dealing with some pretty bad lightheadedness (though it doesn't sound as severe as yours), but my BP isn't low either. As a matter of fact, when I went to the doc in December it was 127/86 and I never actually run that high. I usually run 110-116/76. Yet, I was feeling lightheaded/faint constantly.

I hope you get some relief. It really is a terrible feeling.

This was one of my worst symptoms for years. It sounds like you are trying all the logical steps. Paxil has helped me the most with lightheadedness, but I think Prozac is similar. When you say you wear compression socks, do you just wear knee high? Maybe it would help to wear full hose and abdominal compression?

Your BP is quite low for being on .2mg florinef, let alone midodrine PLUS Prozac.

If you don't have POTS, what about trying caffeine? It increases both BP and HR, which makes it harder for those of us that have POTS. If you don't have POTS, then it may help.

I agree with canary on exercise. I feel so much better from yoga. It's been a lifesaver. If you can't manage that, maybe some stretching exercises?

My BP is 100/70 on average. I'm now starting to think my lightheadedness has more to do with cardiac output--although the concept of cardiac output is new to me.

Yes, my lightheadedness baffles me, too. I wish I understood the mechanism behind it better. I can get it to go away in a few situations (being freezing cold, being in the pool or ocean, or getting my heart rate up high). But it sure would be nice to find something that works more consistently.