Pregnancy And Delivery

jlmahon

My doc is planning on inducing me a week or so before my due date. The reason is I'm on blood thinners and they need to control when I deliver if I want an epidural. I've heard horror stories regarding inductions. I'm thinking between needing to be induced and fluctuations with heart rate and blood pressure, maybe I should opt for a c-section? I know it's major surgery and all, but I'm thinking with less exhaustion from labor I might be better off. What are your experiences?

I think it is best to review with your doctor in your specific case, but I wish I could have avoided a c-section. It is harder on your body to have a c-section than to have a normal birth--typically.

I was induced and things proceeded normally for awhile but in the end I had to have a c-s.

I have several friends (albeit w/o POTS) who had inductions and no complications. But I don't tihnk that having POTS per se would make an induction more difficult/problematic. again tho please express all your concerns to your doctor. Maybe you can talk to the anesthesiologist in advance too. I believe other POTS moms have done this to allay concerns and make sure he/she is aware of the condition in advance.

To clarify, I'd choose to go straight for the c-section over what occured for me, too. I went through a great deal of difficulty prior to the decision/need to do a c-section and lost a lot of blood. However, we cannot predict what course your labor may take--and your doctor may not be able to either--but it would be good to talk through things w your dr and anesthesiologist (as I stated...).

With my first delivery I wanted to go as natural as possible. After laboring all night and all day, I was exhausted and desperately in need of sleep. I opted for the epidural, and my midwife also recommended pitocin because my labor wasn't progressing quickly enough. The epidural and pitocin were the best thing for me. I was able to get some much needed sleep, and because of the epidural I didn't feel the pain from the pitocin at all. I had heard that contractions with pitocin were rough, but I didn't feel them at all.

With my second delivery we planned on inducing so that I could avoid going into labor at midnight and not getting any sleep. Instead I had to have a c-section because my little girl was 10 pounds! The need for a c-section was determined two days before we were going to induce, so it was a planned c-section, not a c-section after a long, hard labor.

There are pros and cons both ways. With natural labor you have intense pain beforehand, with a c-section you have intense pain afterward. The pain levels are about the same in my experience. Having a c-section was less exhausting than labor, but having to stay in the hospital for 3-4 days made it really hard to sleep. You have nurses, doctors, cleaning ladies, and food service workers coming in all day long, and hospitals are noisy at night. I would have preferred to have a natural birth and then be able to go home the next day and get some good rest.

The risks are greater with a c-section, so it is good to avoid that if possible. Although, there are times with the benefits outweigh the risks. That's just something you and your doctor have to decide together. The goal is a healthy baby and safe delivery for both mom and baby. For some people that means a natural childbirth, and for some that means a c-section.

I hope that everything goes well for you and your baby.

All the best,

Rachel

hi

I only have one child so only one birth. I ended up whit a c-section. I was given the choise of waiting or c-section, but they refused to induse me (what i whanted). At that time my fainiting was getting on, and i was told they would do a c-section if i fainted durin birth.

In general i think natural birth is to preffer. After my c-section i could not stand for about 14 day. Ofcourse this migth have happend after natural birth to so hard to say. But my paralized bowels would not.

When it comes to births its a guessing game whats rigth. But many think c-section is the easy way out, its not! Even if u take the pain out of the question.

Best of luck =)

I was induced and did great. My bp did drop.from the epidural, but it wasn't bad. The only issue I had, was that I was soooo hot. Whether that was from labor.or POTS, I have no clue. I only pushed for ten mins, and PP was great for me. I felt like I could breath again. I thought out of pregnancy, labor, and after, labor was the easiest. I would def not want a c section unless absolutely necessary. There are pretty big risks and you are down for a lot longer after. I was up and walking 3 hours after birth and never took any pain meds except for Tylenol.

I was induced early with my second child because the POTS symptoms became so unbearable at the end - I just couldn't take it anymore. Anyway, it wasn't fun because they did a procedure which involved inserting a balloon into my cervix to open it up (sorry if too much information!) and it hurt! Had to deal with that all night and then got the Pitocin the next day. I was really fine from there. Had the epidural (which I was really worried about beforehand) and ended up being totally fine. And thankfully after giving birth to her, the worsening of the POTS symptoms went back to my normal POTS. Good luck with everything and congratulations in advance!

I just want to add that I had an epidural for my c-section. I was concerned about my blood pressure dropping due to the epidural, and I discussed this with my doctor and anesthesiologist well in advance. They allowed me to take my usual dose of midodrine before having the epidural. I don't know exactly what my blood pressure was during the time the epidural was in, but low blood pressure wasn't a problem for me at all.

I have been doing some research on epidurals for POTS patients. It seems that it is not much of a problem. Some doctors prefer to give the epidural slowly instead of in one large dose, other than that, I have not seen much. I know that it is a common thing for normal patients to have a BP drop when getting an epidural, and it has happened to me in my pre-POTs days as well. Definitely discuss with your doctor, but it does not seem like POTS alone is reason to have a c-section.

Thanks everyone! It seems like I'm going to have to decide what I think makes the most sense. My OB, high-risk OB, neurologist all have different opinions. Seems like if they give epidural dose more slowly and hydrate I should be fine. I just want to minimize risk of tachy and passing out.

Hi, I just wanted to say that I delivered a month ago and was induced because of high blood pressure. It was only 3 days before my due date but I was nervous it was not going to go well. Mine was successful. I ended up with an epidural at 2 cm because the pitocin made the contractions so painful (they titrated the dose, my blood pressure dropped and they brought it back up with ephedrine (or whatever they use) and although my heart rate varied through the labor I was able to push her out successfully (she was 9lbs 5 oz.) The whole thing lasted about 10 hours which is not bad for a first birth. I was 2cm and 70% effaced going in and I think this is important. I would ask your doctor before the induction how favorable you are to having a vaginal birth. They have scores (called a bishop score) which can tell how favorable you will be. I wanted to avoid a c-section because I do not recover from surgery well and it makes my dysautomia extremely worse. Well, I just wanted to add my experience that inductions can be successful so don't give up hope if it is the way to go for you! Good luck!