My Hearing

icesktr189

I am so nervous. My hearing is in 8 days for disability! Ive talked with my lawyers a lot and they have gone over what to and what not to say. Knowing me, I will completely forget and start rambling on to the judge because a lack of blood flow and nerves is never a good thing. Im nervous about a couple questions. One is what prevents you from working? I honestly dont even know where to start. Its like do i pick one of the millions of symptoms that are disabiling and just go with that? Also Dr. Goodman prescribed me a wheelchair last year. I have used it a dozen times, but these last six months i really havent gone anywhere. I usually just go to my moms and doctors appt. I feel like i should bring it to show i have one, but i dont want the judge to think im over exaggerating. Honestly i will probably need it if i want to be mentally there because my hearing is at 8 am and ill be bearly concious. Any suggestions or advise??

Hi Dani,

I went thru this 20 years ago and the judge just asked me questions that I either could or couldn't

answer. Some were about my health others about my life. I'm surprised that your attorney has given

you instructions on what to say or not say. Mine just told me to answer the judge as best as I could.

I was nervous too but as it turned out I had a judge who'd seen a lot of sick people and understood.

I felt intimidated at first because I knew I couldn't think straight but I was too sick to have any control over what I said after awhile. He told me at the end of the mtg that I would be approved. : )

Do you have letters from co-workers or freinds ? I "think" that helped me too. My health records

spoke volumes tho.

I'd use the wheelchair if you need it. No need fainting, etc if it would help. I doubt the judge

will think you're exaggerating. I'd expect him to ask about it but just answer him honestly.

Try to relax if you can. My experience was stressful but definitely not worth the state of anxiety I

put myself thru that day. Tc .. D

Keep this is mind... My attorney told me they need to know you are incapable of performing any type of work, even mindless, sedentary work. She said if you can put widgets in a box, in their eyes, you can work. I was surprised to hear this, had to think about this and came to these conclusions: Could I do something that simple all day? The answer is no- I could probably put widgets in a box for an hour, but not for 8. There is no job which requires standing for any length of time that I could perform because of tachycardia and dizziness. Even if I was able to sit while doing this, it would be hard to focus my eyes that long, it would be hard to be upright that long - I'd be dizzy and exhausted pretty quickly. I often have to lie down to combat the spacey feeling and bring things back into focus. What job could accomodate a siutation like this? You could talk about the lack of physical and mental stamina, the chronic fatigue, feeling off balance, dizziness, cognitive problems and the need to lie down. Is there anything you can do for 8 hours, all day, 5 days a week? I can't think of anything. Also, the unpredictable nature of the illness. One day I might be semi-functional and the next find it difficult just to walk across the room. One day my mind might be somewhat clear and the next I can barely think and find it difficult to speak in coherent sentences. How can an employer depend on us - we're not reliable. It's not fun to admit this, but we're not exaggerating - it really is this bad, so don't be afraid to express that. Let us know how it goes and good luck, Dani!

I dont have any advice here. Just wanted to say good luck and Im hope all goes well in ur favor. I def agree though, do what makes u comfortable and dont worry what the judge thinks. Use ur worst day as the standard in describing ur illness, cause we all know it can change in a minute. Good luck again and Ill say a little prayer of comfort while ur dealing with this.

Dani, I'm also going through the disability battle. I have been denied once and the second decision is do to come back this month. -Be honest, and yes describe your worse day, be sure to say that not all days are like that- then explain that on your 'good' days you can stay in bed all day and ride to the post office with your husband. And on a 'good' day you can put on make up and go to your sisters birthday dinner.... Then tell then how you willingly do those things knowing your sacrificing the next couple days of being stuck in bed. We're all pulling for you! Wish you the best of luck, and try not to stress out to much about it... Or you'll be no good the day of the trial.! Let us know how it goes. ))

I went through this 8 years ago. I used my POTS and my migraines. My attorney had extensive medical records from all my Drs. I was very lucky I got to the hearing and judge approved me without a hearing. But my attorney has prepared me to answer honestly and to the best of my ability. Mine was in the morning also and I was such a mess,. So I feel for you. I'll be thinking and praying for you.