What Do You Do For Energy?

Albrown23

Just out of curiosity, what do some of you do for energy on days you need more of a kick? I'm a very busy nursing student and there are lots of days where I just need something to help me wake up. I already have a lot of fatigue from this stupid syndrome, so having a little more because I was up late doing clinical paperwork or studying for an exam not only keeps me from paying attention, but makes me far more symptomatic. So, this morning I had a coffee (I have a serious love for coffee and tea) but now I'm symptomatic. It obvIously makes my adrenaline surges worse. I'm lightheaded, getting dizzy, having hot and cold flashes, my vision keeps getting blurry...it's really annoying. So...what do you guys do when you need a little boost?

Excercise. Even when im feeling lousy, if i start to do a walk and persevere, i usually get a rush of endorphins and just

generally feel better for a few hours afterwards. If I can get into a cool pool in the summertime, for that hour i feel

like i dont have POTS anymore.

My doctor took me completely off caffeine. It's horrible for symptoms and causes them to increase drastically. I went from drinking 5-6 caffeinated drinks a day to not having a drop in over a year.

I am a nursing student as well. I find the vitamin water zero rise flavor helps me. No caffeine just lots of vitamins.

I'm glad you posted this, I'm also a nursing student and was searching for the same answers! Waking up at 5am for clinicals following a day of work and late-night studying is really starting to get me. I LOVE coffee, but my EP says no more caffeine. He is definitely right (unfortunately), I have significantly fewer mornings of crazy palpitations since cutting out coffee/tea/soda - I'm two weeks without so far! Now I'm also searching for that replacement!

I have recently started Midodrine 5mg upon waking and 5mg five hours later. For me, it feels although it's really helping my morning clumsiness and out of body sensations - but not as much with general body energy. My limbs still feel 100lbs each many days.

I hope you find the combination that works for you, I'll have to keep checking back on your question myself to see what others do for a boost!

I've tried several things to no avail.

Prescription mestinon is supposed to boost one's energy - it makes me drowsy, lethargic, tired. I literally feel like I'm drugged after taking it - I get a boost of energy late in the evening though, once the mestinon wears out.

I'm on 3000 IU vitamin D, 300 mg iron, and 500 mg vit B 12 daily since the beginning of the year. These are all supposed to help increase my energy, yet most days I drag myself out of bed around noon, I manage to do some minimal things around the house, only to get tired again. I tried exercising but I get extremely symptomatic afterwards (there is always a price to pay, right), and I drink 1 gallon of water (at least) a day.

Caffeine is out of the question - I was told to stay away from it. It used to help, but I haven't touched a drop in more than a year as I fear it will increase my palpitations.

If I read the list of side effects of all the meds I'm taking - they all have the potential to make me drowsy, excessively tired etc...

I honestly would like to know what else to try as this is a horrible life style.

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

I get some benefit (maaaybe) from pyridostigmine (Mestinon) - barely enough to notice, and I can't take more since it causes speech inhibition and confusion at higher doses. The neurologist prescribed methylphenidate (Ritalin) to help with the spaciness; it hasn't helped with that symptom in particular, but I do have more energy and less "brain fog" while trying to read journal articles at work, which the neurologist is pleased by. Downside for me is the appetite suppression, which synergizes with nausea in all sorts of unfortunate ways. I'm mixed on whether to continue taking it, but in the short term the decrease in fatigue is helpful. Also, sadly, getting >9 hours of sleep a night, though I can't always manage that.

No answers but I sure could use a boost of energy.... Stopped all pain meds after four years of using them for varied EDS pains ... and that about tripled the fatigue factor which was already very much a symptom.....

I've read that it's to be expected as the brain needs to heal up and start making it's own 'stuff' rather than having meds on board....

I've tried exercise - but I must be intolerant of it - did 15 min. on the eliptical and was in bed nearly all day yesterday.... today skipped that and felt a tiny bit better.... Walking is the most extreme I can do - and I try to walk in a local mall for an hour or so - and it's very slow walking too. They say that increases endorphines - not sure about that - as I don't feel energized at all after walking or even during.

A supplement called AdrenalAssist was once prescribed me - I may start taking it again - my old Naturopath gave it to me along with Iodox and InflaZyme or something like that .... I read reviews on these things on line and people say it does help with their energy levels....and I think B12 too is recommended....

Anyway for now it's just eating healthy - keeping better hydrated - I do utilize coffee in the mornings - and afternoon lately too - eat very lightly (about a thousand kcal per day), take a multivit and vit D and C .... magnesium at night for sleep perhaps.... Chocolate if my mood gets low - lay down about ten times per day - quit working - you know the drill, right?

Mestinon and Guanfacine were no good for me - one was a wt. gainer and the other I can't even remember the issue - silly brain -

I posted an article on ME or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome with it's new name - it had ideas for supporting patients with this diagnosis - it's a huge article on diagnosis and treatment etc.... very interesting if you scroll through it - it's really long.

Fatigue and subjective 'weakness' has been a constant companion in life - never as strong as the other kids - never recover in a timely fashion from any surgery or illness - thankfully knock on wood - I rarely if ever get sick as in colds, flu etc.... I think one blood test said too much IGG? I thought maybe that was good as I rarely get sick - maybe it fights off my germ exposures?

Quite honestly I feel near brain dead lately - which matches the body - I've never had any allergy testing - is this a good path to pursue when you feel this lousy? I'm so tired of looking for answers of 'why' - know what I mean? But I will push my doctors for allergy testing if there's a chance that stopping certain foods will boost energy levels in anyway!