Who Has Beenable To Stop Taking Beta Blockers??

miajnt

My understanding is that some of the exercise programs recommended are without meds.

I have been on Propranolol LA 80 mg twice daily and tapering by 20 every two weeks. This week I tapered from 40 twice daily to 40AM/30PM. I am running every week since starting this plan several months ago and trying to increase the running every week.

I am totally off all meds. I still have POTS symptoms. Lately I've been about 70 bpm supine and 125 upright. I can normally deal with it but the heat has been doing a number on me. We've been putting in fence posts the last month and yesterday I couldn't even rake in grass seed without panting and sweating like crazy.

My bp and hr went too low on the meds and I prefer being off them and sitting when I have to.

I was on atenolol for about a month when I was 18 but it dropped my BP and made me pass out. I couldn't even walk from one room to another. I have a script for metoprolol in my wallet right now that my cardiologist said to fill at my own discretion. But, I'm afraid to start it because he said that my systolic pressure needs to be 140-150. So, if I take it I fear that it will drop my BP and I will get slammed with symptoms again.

I've been on and off them. Like looking4 My HR jumps in the 90s- low 100s when sitting and then 110s - 130s when standing. I have had a handful of high tachs (ie: 150's -190s). But they always settle down when I get supine.

I took myself off of the BB after losing more than half my head of hair. Since getting off BB I would sy that my overall fatigue is improved. I do recumbent excerise and salt/fluid load. When really symptomatic I get IV fluids.

I need to have a HR I can deal with. Off B-block in Feb I was tachycardic ( just over 100 at times lying, even sleeping ) and it bounced rapidly up and down as high as 156 and as low as 80 standing, and on tilt test. The cardiologist POTS doctor seemed intrigued but just attributed it to the POTS without really explaining if this is something he has seen in other POTS patients.

Anyways the exercise has ( so far knock on wood ) allowed me to decrease the B-block markedly ( as above ) and I am not even tachycardic standing, not to mention lying where it is even lower.

I am back to work and can not afford to jeopordize that so I have the philosophy of NMPotsie that I will take them as long as I have to, but hope not.

I have been off daily atenolol for about 3 years now. I switched to Paxil, which is better for me because there are no side effects. I too would love to be off medication - I have tried to go off Paxil, lowered my dose for about a year, but went back up. You can talk your dr, In my own experience I have tried to go off meds from time to time over the years. It is always hard, sometimes it has worked, other times it hasn't.

Paxil enables me (as long as I rest and keep up fluids) to work full time + and live life almost to the fullest, and I have no side effects from the Paxil. I still take betas on a bad day, though I have switched from atenolol to bystolic (which has fewer side effects). In my opinion there is nothing wrong with taking meds if they help. It does not mean in any way that you are not drinking.or exercising enough. I have exercised 5-6 times/week, greatly improved my strength and fitness from when I first got sick. I went from being a weakling to being able to stand on my head and it hasn't taken away my need for meds.

Although studies may show that exercise helps POTS in some people, it does not cure POTS in everyone. We should not feel guilty for not trying hard enough just because we take needed meds. Yes, ideally we wouldn't need them, but ideally, we would not have POTS in the first place! (BTW there are many people that do improve and don't need meds anymore, eventually).

I've never started any beta-blockers. The doctor I saw wants to treat me with a more holistic and natural treatment. So for now I'm just trying to do what they told me. Salt/fluids, exercise, and no napping during the day(This is the hardest one for me).

Before summer started(which was when I really started to get worse) I was keeping up with 4 hours of dance a week and being in musicals/speech. I like what I do too much to let this slow me down. It makes me feel suckish for sure, but apparently I deal with it better than some. (I complain a lot more, but the doctors said most people at my stage of POTS are in a wheelchair)