Hand Completely Useless And Asleep

So last night I woke up in the middle of the night and moved to my side and brought my right hand up to scratch my face and it was almost dangling from the wrist. Like I had absolutely no control of it what so ever. It was completely asleep but even worse than that like I could not move it. It took me a minute to even realize what was happening and it kind of really freaked me out. Probably took a good few minutes for it to wake up but during that time it was completely useless like it wasn't even my hand. I have always had numbness, tingling in feet and in my hands but this was different. They have always been able to function. Does anyone else have this issue? it was really kind of scary. Not sure it I should be going to doctor for something else instead of thinking its just another one of the million symptoms happening to me daily with this illness. :)

Happens to me once every few months. Take a look at Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - it can affect both the nerves and the artery that runs down the arm. In my case (happened this morning, in fact!) it only happens on my right side, caused by the cervical rib I have on that side (found by chest xray for a random unrelated issue). For me it's also very different from the body part just "being asleep" - I pick up my entire arm using my other hand, and it just falls. I can't even lift it or move the fingers at all. Goes away after about five minutes. My primary care doc said it's nothing to be too concerned about unless it happens very frequently or it stays numb for a long time - at that point you might want to see someone.

Guest headhunter030

Happens to me... I get up and my arm dangles at my side; Sometimes I think it will never come back. I would swear we have some by-product of MS.

Thanks Everyone. Sounds like it is a lot more common then I realized. I know my nerve are not compressed. I walk around all the time day and night with my feet and hands going numb. Definately worse at night. When this happened I was on my back. With my arms out straight. Not laying on them so I don't know. But it was scary.