Heartrate Monitor

Guest tearose

Guest tearose

Please don't let ourselves get worried over nothing but I don't know if there is a relationship between using a heartrate monitor and breast calcifications. Any one have a clue?

Unfortunately for me, I have been found to have 12 microcalcifications clustered around something...stereotactic biopsy is tomorrow at 8am. Naturally this is a bit more of a worry to me since I already have lymphedema on that left arm from lyme disease damage...they do see one enlarged lymph node in the left armpit too...could just be nothing...I'll have the pathology report on Wednesday. So they tell me.

Anyway, my question. Could my daily use of my heartrate monitor have contributed to the calcifications forming? Was there any conclusive study a year ago when that woman who constantly, very constantly, used a cellphone developed a brain tumor?

This is important for those of us who use a heartrate monitor to manage our dysautonomia. For those who don't know about them...the transmitter is strapped to your chest. The receiver is a wristwatch.

any thoughts on the cause and effect possibility?

a little concerned....tearose

Dear TeaRose,

Sorry you have to go through more tests ... my thoughts are with you. Gentle hugs your way POTS Sister.

No doubt you did the same internet searches I just ran ... and I don't see ANYTHING out there suggesting a link between heart rate monitors and calification specifically NOR any correlations between HRMs and electro magnetic fields or cancer of any kind.

There is certainly a lot out there on these microcalcifications, which would indicate these are very common mamagram findings. The follow up tests you have described seems standard as well. Good luck tomorrow morning.

Salubrious.

EM

Hi Tearose

I am so sorry to hear you have this new worry. Glad to hear you are getting prompt follow up. I think this is fairly common and in any case, I doubt (although I am not a physician!) there could be any connection at all between using a monitor and developing calcifications.

Regarding cell phone use, from my work as a planner, I know that there seems to be more concern about the health risks that may be associated with living near a tower than risks that might be associated with using a cell phone. Here's a webpage with links to all kinds of published research papers on the topic:

http://www.electric-words.com/cell/sindex.html

Please try not to worry. Let us know the results of your tests!

Katherine

Guest tearose

Thank you all for your good wishes.

Katherine, great link, I am busy re-reading it...there are things that may suggest a problem...I will want to go to the heartmonitor manufacturer next to see what kinds of things the transmitter is emitting. I hope to get around to doing this, later in the week or so...I'll report back!

best regards, tearose

Dear Tearose, please don't think that the monitor is the problem. I personally think all that "hype" is just that, hype. But if you need to PLEASE check away.

Personally, I'm full of those calcifications and have only been monitered at the hospital or with a finger monitor. I also have had 2 of those follow-ups with only a bruise to show for it.

Having stated that you already have some trouble with that side, I wouldn't be suprized to find more there. 2 of my aunts have had this trouble for years and both are doing just fine (the ages of 65 and 63 not withstanding).

Best of luck,

blackwolf

Tearose, I have them too. They are very common, so try not to worry. I can't imagine a link between the two. I worked in an ob/gyn office for several years and women had these all the time. Our breasts just get weirder as they get longer I guess, :lol: Take care and don't strss out about it, sending hugs your way. Actually, I will tell you a little story. I had one once and when they did a "special" little picture of it, they squished it to kingdom come and it never came back! Special of course meaning a smaller and more painful squisher, but it did get rid of the bugger..... :rolleyes: morgan

Guest tearose

Hi all,

I promise to keep my cool.

It is interesting that sometimes these "naturally stressful" situations raise our blood pressure just enough to slow the heartrate...

Okay, I'm going to get ready to go, I'll check in later.

Have a good morning.

Thank you, tearose

Hi Tearose. Hope everything goes well for you this morning. So sorry to hear that you have yet another worry to deal with! I wanted to give you the little information that I have in regards to cellphones and brain tumors. I worked (before I got POTS) in neurosurgery as a nurse and can tell you a little about the research related to cellphone use. When cellphones first became more commonly used, they did a study using specific rats that genetically had a higher incidence of developing cancer. Through this one study, they found that the rats did develop cancer- leukemia. However, in the many, many studies that followed over the years, they have not been able to reproduce those same results. No other rats in any other study has gone on to develop cancer. So they are now stating that so far with cellphone use, there is no cancer connection. However, cellphones have really only been commonly used for the last 10 years or so. Further longterm studies are needed to study the effects of use over time.

That being said, there may be a link between brain tumors and cell phone towers ( as Katherine has mentioned) This is a fairly new area of study, so not much conclusive evidence as yet.

Take care of yourself! Laura!

Guest tearose

I am now healing from that stereotactic biopsy. You lay down on your tummy and the "area in question" is down through an opening in the table. They SQUISH you and hold you in place. They take these powerful and fast samples and leave a "clip" as a marker so they can go back if need to for further work. I did okay till the local wore off and I cursed a little! Not typical for me! The surgeon said "you felt that"? and gave me a little more anesthetic. The whole procedure took about 50 minutes.

Anyway, the hard part was getting turned over and then having to sit up! I felt weird and said I think my bp dipped down, may I lay back down...they took my bp, it was 70/46. I then took some of my electrolytes and water and began to feel human again. It only took another 10-15 minutes and I was better.

I am not sure how I will handle my heart monitor after this. I haven't decided if there is enough reason for concern based upon the literature out there. I get the biopsy pathology tomorrow and will post again.

with appreciation, tearose

Hi, Tearose. Glad you checked in with us! Sounds like some cookies are in order--you really deserve a treat after all that! Brave lass. You handled yourself beautifully--you knew just what was going on and how to take care of yourself. How smart to bring your electrolyte drink along! We can all follow that model...

Hope you have a good evening--and that nothing's on tap for tomorrow, so you can kick back and put your feet up and feel good about having sought and received the care you needed. I hope the tests are all negative and that you can rest easy (easier?) again.

Take good care,

merrill

Tearose, sorry you had to go through all that. Oh my....being on your tummy and then turning over and sitting up....I know exactly that yucky feeling. Of course, you were well prepared...smart lady!

I hope you can rest well tonight. It is good that you have a doctor that is willing to get your results to you so quickly. I will keep you in my prayers tonight that all will be fine with your results.

Guest tearose

Hi friends,

I was told that it is an extremely rare finding and that they must go back in and get more cells now. I am seeing a top notch breast surgeon later this morning to get a second opinion. Now it is time to consult with a doc who got an A+ in breasts and not use the local general surgeon.

I will probably have a decision on how to proceed after this consult. I'll check back in here this afternoon..

My POTS tote bag is packed and I'm getting ready for the trip into the snow covered big apple! I do feel clear headed...like I can make good decisions right now...I bet my blood pressure is up a little...ya think?

thank you for going through this with me, hugs back at you, tearose

Hi Tearose,

You said it is an "extremely rare finding" but I can't find where you say what they found from the biopsy. Sorry you have to go through this again but it is great that you so quickly found an expert and were able to get an appointment.

Do check back in cuz you know how we worry!

Hi Tearose,

I am sure you have had a long and exhausting day. I just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and hoping that you got answers today to whatever is going on and that it was positive. I look forward to hearing more but for now, hope that you are getting a lot of rest and will feel stronger tomorrow.

Guest tearose

Hi all!

I'm still in the discovery period apparently. The stereotactic procedure was not the best way to diagnose my type of microcalcifications. The summary for now is: The answer is not clear. The surgeon/oncologist will do a surgical out-patient procedure next Wednesday...pathology on that will take 3 days. So I have another 10 days from today, till I know what I'm dealing with. I'm trying to stay in neutral. I don't want to use any energy points on either playing pollyana or worrying! :)

I am not sure if these rare cells are in any way related to my daily use of my heart monitor but you can please understand why I am concerned. I don't know if I can find the literature that would alleviate my concerns so for now I have decided not to use my monitor. When I get through this next little challenge I will have to re evaluate the pros and cons of using it again. (The technical jargon for the rare cells: Microglandular adenosis/ microglandular proliferation /PAS positive secretions.)

I will have to be careful since they make you fast prior to the procedure and I don't want to have that drop in blood pressure again!

take care, tearose