This flu is bad

calypso

I haven't been around much because I've had the flu for the last week. This year's strain is particularly weird because it is a combo of GI issues and the usual sore throat/body aches/fever/chills/etc. And on top of it, I had strained my back last weekend, but when I got the flu, the increased inflammation has made the pain unbearable.

My daughter, thankfully, only contracted the diarrhea portion and nothing else. (Although with cloth diapers, it hasn't been much fun.) My husband was wise enough to get a flu shot but still has the GI stuff and is exhausted. I haven't moved except to go to the bathroom and keep my daughter from getting into harm's way -- which she doesn't do much because the house is very well childproofed.

Just wanted to warn you guys to think twice before going into any environment with people who are sick -- especially children who attend daycare or elementary schools. You might even want to not go to any regular doctor appts. until next month. There are so many germs right now. If you work around kids or in a place where you know the germ factor is high, maybe even a surgical mask is a good idea. I use one sometimes when I am practicing massage therapy, especially if I have a cold or a client isn't feeling well. And keep those hands clean!

Hope you guys all stay flu-free.

Amy

I had it, as did many of my workmates... It's a nasty combo of GI upset and head ache, ear ache, sinus issues.

You're best defense, aside from a flu shot, WASH YOUR HANDS.

Nina

Guest tearose

Hey Amy, sorry you got hit with this, and the family to a lesser degree too!

I had my heart set on spring arriving that I wasn't thinking that the flu was even still around! I always think about the flu in the November-January months...I'd better take more measures to be careful too. Thank you for the warning!

How is your back? Are you able to strengthen your muscles? Take it easy. It takes some time to come back after the flu so don't over do now.

best regards, tearose

Amy,

Sorry to hear you've been sick! Hopefully you and your family will be on the upswing soon. My mom has had the flu with GI stuff also for the last 2 days- we thought it wasn't the flu since she has been nauseated a lot, but I am going to let her know what you said because then she'll know she isn't crazy! We shared a Starbucks mocha on Wednesday and she came down with this on Saturday, so I am praying that I didn't contract anything then. Does anyone know what the incubation period is for this one?

We've been so lucky this year and I am praying we can make it another few weeks without getting sick. Ethan has had two stomach viruses this winter which David and I have been lucky enough to avoid...other than that it's been great. hope everyone else is staying well!!

I feel so sorry anyone has to go thru that stuff.

We seemed to have missed that in out little neck ot the woods, SO FAR :o I hope not to see it at all.

We have had the "never-ending cold that just won't give up and go away", ie. stuffy nose for 3 weeks, and that lingering cough that goes on and on and on.... ;)

blackwolf

Thanks for all your good wishes. I am recovering still. The worst part is hopefully over. No more fever/chills/stomach upset. Now I have a dry cough that is nagging because it feels like a feather in my throat, and I still have that yucky sick taste (I don't know how else to describe it) in my mouth/throat. I was told to expect to be sick for 7-10 days, and it was 6 actively sick days for me.

Hope you guys avoid it. I also thought it was too late for the flu ... guess it was Murphy's law, because I just said something two weeks back about how who needs a flu shot since I avoided it.

Amy