What's Unsafe To Take With Midodrine?

Hi all

I know I should check with the docs- but I'm sick of bugging them :)

On my midodrine bottle it says something along the lines of this med may interact with OTC things and call your dr. I also recall reading there are things that are very unsafe to take while on midodrine.

Does anyone have some examples or a list of things known to be unsafe to take? I'd like to have a better idea of whAt to avoid.

Thanks!

Hiya,

the medications to avoid are things like cold remedies so in the UK its things like Lempsip and beechams powders. Also things like sudafed for nasal cogestion. Both these types of over the counter medications contain an ingredient which elevates your blood pressure , its called pseudoephedrine so basically you need to avoid OTC medications with this ingredient.

other ingredients to avoid Phenylephrine (hydrochloride).

Hope this helps

Rach

A tool that I have found helpful is the Drug Interaction Checker. You can type in all of the medications that you take, and it will let you know if there are potential risks and how great the risks are. This shouldn't be substituted for talking with your doctor, but it can be a helpful place to start. If something comes up in the interaction checker then you will have something specific to ask your doctor or pharmacist. Drugs.com gives the following disclaimer when you check your medicines and the interaction checker doesn't find any risks: "No results found - however, this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist."

You can also find a list of drugs are known to react with a particular medication. Here I did a search for Midodrine Drug Interactions. You may find that list helpful.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Funny to have several Rachel's in one thread- I'm one two :)

Just to clarify-- I know seeking medical advise is not permitted and I didn't mean to seem that I was. I do call my dr before trying anything- but am sick of it (lol) and am looking for general guidelines, personal experiences, etc.

I appreciate all the help :)

westernmass,

one thing you should not "take" are naps as the midodrine is known to increase your supine blood pressure - I found out the hard way as I did not read the info sheet.

I hope this isn't considered medical advice.

The best thing though is to ask your dr or pharmacist as sometimes even the info on websites is confusing and incomplete.

Alex

Alex--it is fine to describe information you have read or been told by a doctor, and it is fine to relay your experiences. If you qualify what you say with "from what I understand", or something similar, and are not recommending to/telling another user what medical treatement he/she should use, or not use, to treat his or her specific condition, and you are not diagnosing the user, you are OK. These latter situations open DINET up to liability.

Please see this link for more clarification:

http://forums.dinet.org/index.php?/topic/19588-a-reminder-that-giving-medical-advice-is-not-allowed-on-the-forum/

I so agree with Rachel about the drug interaction checker - I use those al the time and there are bunch of different good ones. In addition to your dr, another great source of drug info is your pharmacist. They would usually know all of oyur prescriptions and can give you personalized info - for free!

Last Friday I had a crazy interaction with midodrine and chinese food. Had been tolerating the drug very well with very few side effects. It helped my BP but most of the other dysauto symptoms were still there. Right after a small lunch of chinese (which I usually get steamed but this time picked something with brown sauce on it). I took my afternoon dose and 15 minutes later felt my BP jump. I felt my blood rushing thru my vein, my BP was 118/89 and I'm usually 90/60. Later in the day it was 140/90 as my BP usually rises in the evening. I have not needed the midodrine since. My pressure has been running 110/60 in the morning and normal by afternoon and evening. I've had one of my better weeks after this episode. As usual with POTs/dysaut I have no clue what this means. Attempting to go with the flow.

Alex--it is fine to describe information you have read or been told by a doctor, and it is fine to relay your experiences. If you qualify what you say with "from what I understand", or something similar, and are not recommending to/telling another user what medical treatement he/she should use, or not use, to treat his or her specific condition, and you are not diagnosing the user, you are OK. These latter situations open DINET up to liability.

Please see this link for more clarification:

http://forums.dinet....d-on-the-forum/

Thanks MomtoGiuliana,

I just didn't want to get myself or anyone else in trouble.

Alex