Anyone Do Ok Flying?

abbyw

Hi,

I've seen several posts here about people who got really bad flares while flying. I was wondering if your POTS was pretty stable at the time that you flew. My POTS is pretty under control with the SSRI I am taking, and I never would have thought of not taking this trip, but once I saw your posts about your awful episodes, I started thinking that maybe this is not such a good idea. It is an 11 hour flight and I won't have my husband with me. Does anyone with their POTS under control with an SSRI have experience flying? How did it go?

Thanks,

Abby

I take an SNRI and wouldn't say my pots is under control. I have made out fine with shorter fights. I wear knee high compression stockings and spanks- more comfortable than full compression and better for the restroom.

I have asked for bulkhead seats. You may be able to get one with a dr's note. This gives you the ability to put your feet up on the wall. I have worn my heart rate monitor on flights and it is pretty creepy how my heart rate jumps during take off. Once the plane levels out - maybe too because they pressurize the cabin, I am fine.

I think it is important not to worry about it and to not over do it before you get on the plane. It also is important to stay hydrated even though airplane bathrooms are yucky!

I wouldn't be able to fly right now, but last fall my symptoms were relatively controlled. I flew to Baltimore from Minneapolis to visit my best friend (~ 3hr flight). We made a point of finding me a direct flight. I hydrated like crazy and stocked up on gatorade once I got through security. I did pretty ok. I had a few moments during the flight where I started to get dizzy, but then it passed. It wasn't too bad at all. I just got pretty worn out doing all the walking through the airports and such. If you're feeling pretty well controlled, a shorter flight may not be too bad at all.

Right after I was diagnosed (time when symptoms were the least controlled) I flew from Florida to California and didnt have any problems. I noticed that I was very dehydrated getting off the plane, but I also went from super hot and humid to dry and cold weather.

Now, Im on a SSRI and Im asymptomatic, and I would totally fly right now. :)

I'd say I'm moderately symptomatic these days, and I have to fly constantly for work (Note to self: get a new job!). The biggest challenge for me is motion sickness (well, aside from the rush-rush-rush mentality of airports in general and the standing-in-line demands of security in particular). So, I have to take Dramamine which causes a bunch of unpleasant side effects on its own--I'm constantly having to decide which I'd rather deal with--having a full-blown POTS attack or throwing up for the duration of the flight! Good times!

In the end, I always take the Dramamine, hydrate like crazy, listen to my iPod (or take advantage of in-flight entertainment), stand up/move around as much as possible and try to keep calm. For loooooong flights, having a sizable layover is very helpful for me....it allows me to kind of "collect" myself and assess my condition before continuing.

As soon as they perfect "Beam Me Up" technology a'la Star Trek, we'll all be better off! :D

I did really bad on my flight but I was not even diagnosed at that time. On a good day now I would probably be absolutely fine if I hydrated etc. I hope you decide to go and have fun! Don't let POTS hold you back! :)

Haven't flown much since being diagnosed but the two times I flew, I did ok on the flight. Like others have said, I stay hydrated, wear compression, and when I have lay overs I do better if I walk around some than if I sit more. One trip, I made it thru the flight ok, but felt awful the whole time I was on the trip so spent a lot of time in the hotel room. The other trip, I actually did fine once I got there.

I haven't flown internationally since being diagnosed so haven't had an 11 hour flight. Good Luck!!

I've flown multiple times since symptoms started, including a direct Boston to Seattle flight and several overnight flights. I'll second everyone else by emphasizing hydration (you can bring a bottle to fill past security, and bring Gatorade powder or Nuun tablets or similar if that's your thing). You can also get a wheelchair at the ticket counter if standing in line for security is a bad thing for you. In my experience just having lots of extra time for security, connections, etc makes me deal a lot better. I always like to get an aisle seat so I can get up repeatedly to go to the restroom :^)

I had ear pain (previous surgery), and the next morning I came very close to vomiting, but I wasn't diagnosed at the time, so I think with my wrist bands, maybe the patch and lots of fluids, I'd do better.

Hi,

I have posted a few times about this - I had ar eally bad flight. But I had only been diagnosed a few months and was still trying to read my symptoms and probably should have had more water. My hr went up and I am sure I felt scared which then set off my adrenaline. lately I have been on euro star which also pressurises and I had a brief episode of tachy but I stayed really calm and it pasted. On the way back I wore stockings and I was fine.

So I have been afraid of flying but I am about to book a flight for 3 weeks time and will mentally prepare and drink/wear tights and stay calm. It's not going to kill me and I can't let the pots rule my life. Probably will take valium just to calm nervous system down. But if you have never had a bad experience no reason why you should.

Good luck and I would say go for it.