"i Don't Have A Diagnostic Code For Pots."

jangle

Uh, we're definitely in no man's land. It's still so weird to me living with this illness everyday, having read so much about it, talking to people everyday who have it and then going out into the world and finding no one's ever even heard of it - including Doctors. I think for all we go through we deserve our own darn code! B)

My doctor tossed me in this bucket:

2012 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 337.9

Unspecified disorder of autonomic nervous system

• condition in which there is a deviation from or interruption of the normal structure or function of the parasympathetic or sympathetic divisions of the autonomic nervous system; autonomic dysfunction may be associated with hypothalamic diseases, brain stem disorders, spinal cord diseases, and peripheral nervous system diseases; manifestations include impairments of vegetative functions including the maintenance of blood pressure, heart rate, pupil function, sweating, reproductive and urinary physiology, and digestion.
  • Short description: Autonomic nerve dis NEC.
  • ICD-9-CM 337.9 is a billable medical code that can be used to specify a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim.

My doctor tossed me in this bucket:

2012 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 337.9

Unspecified disorder of autonomic nervous system

• condition in which there is a deviation from or interruption of the normal structure or function of the parasympathetic or sympathetic divisions of the autonomic nervous system; autonomic dysfunction may be associated with hypothalamic diseases, brain stem disorders, spinal cord diseases, and peripheral nervous system diseases; manifestations include impairments of vegetative functions including the maintenance of blood pressure, heart rate, pupil function, sweating, reproductive and urinary physiology, and digestion.
  • Short description: Autonomic nerve dis NEC.
  • ICD-9-CM 337.9 is a billable medical code that can be used to specify a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim.

My cardiologist just says I have postural hypotension.

But my BP goes up when I stand??

I use 337.9 for everything.

There is also no specific code for Small Fiber Neuopathy, Mast Cell Disorder, Chiari 1 Malformation, or a lot of specific Connective Tissue Disorders.

hhhmmmm everything I have doesn't seem to exist in medical land.... LOL

Can I join the Island???

You should see the list of dx codes my docs put on my work-ups they cover everything since specifically nothing has a code, there is usually around a dozen codes listed.

It's not Fantasy Island, that's for sure!! "No man is an island" by John Donne 1572-1631....I wonder whether he had POTS?! Can I join the group, too, lol :rolleyes:

I use 337.9 for everything.

There is also no specific code for Small Fiber Neuopathy, Mast Cell Disorder, Chiari 1 Malformation, or a lot of specific Connective Tissue Disorders.

hhhmmmm everything I have doesn't seem to exist in medical land.... LOL

Can I join the Island???

You should see the list of dx codes my docs put on my work-ups they cover everything since specifically nothing has a code, there is usually around a dozen codes listed.

Charmed,

Last week, my GP and I found a code for "systemic mast cell disorder" which is the closest we could find for MCAS.

Lyn

Ha!Ha! I guess we are all in this sinking boat together hoping for a decent island to land on. At least we do understand each other.

But, believe it or not. I got a new med and the directions on the bottle said to be taken occasionally when needed for POTS. So, at least some of our doctors are acknowledging our conditions. I wonder what the druggist thought when he typed that direction label out.

Issie

I wonder what the druggist thought when he typed that direction label out.

Issie

He probably thought you had a diagnosis you made up for yourself. Ha ha! :rolleyes:

My pharmacist was very familiar with dysautonomia. I have a lot of respect for pharmacists. She made sure that I wasn't taking my atenolol with the bystolic. That would have been double dosing. She was also very "sympathetic", sorry I couldn't resist the pun...lol :rolleyes:

Good thing POTS Island is surrounded by salt water at least!

And, we know the fellow inhabitants are intelligent and have a good sense of humor. :)

question? does it have to be doctors or can patients submit for "who" or "icd" or whoever to get pots as a diagnostic code. could we have our state representatives help us with this orwhat. cause really if there was a code, it would make it better for our doctors, pharmacists, insurance, and for the court with disability and for ourselves. i definitely think that if this is something we could help happen, there are a lot of us that would be willing to do something to help get us a diagnostic code.

question? does it have to be doctors or can patients submit for "who" or "icd" or whoever to get pots as a diagnostic code. could we have our state representatives help us with this orwhat. cause really if there was a code, it would make it better for our doctors, pharmacists, insurance, and for the court with disability and for ourselves. i definitely think that if this is something we could help happen, there are a lot of us that would be willing to do something to help get us a diagnostic code.

Great question. I am not familiar with setting up disease codes, but am familiar with establishing procedure codes. Procedure codes for a new medical procedure are designated by the AMA and approved/established by CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services). I wonder how disease codes are established?

Not sure if this is the right thing, but I just did a quick google search and found this: http://www.cms.gov/M...visedcodes.html

I think we'd have to have some kind of paper/research explaining why a diagnostic code would be needed. Maybe someone's doctor would be interested in doing this?

Oops on further reading this looks more like procedure codes...