Depressed, Guess I'm Having A Relapse

After being well for a few months I'm having a bad relapse. I've had POTS for 8 years, I got sick around my 19th birthday and here I am. A few weeks ago I felt nauseous for a week, but never threw up or had diarrhea. Ever since that week I've been feeling horrible. I can barely take my dog out for a ten minute walk without feeling like I'm going to pass out. My heart rate is all over the place and my blood pressure stays around 90/54. I'm just so sad and upset that a few weeks ago I was looking for a part time job and now I can barely stand. I don't do well with Florinef or Midodrine because of the severe headaches they cause me. Guess I'm just feeling very hopeless. Has. Anyone suffered a relapse and if so how long does it last? Will it take me another 8 years to get better?

I'm so sorry you have suffered a relapse! I've been there. It's a hard way to live ....always looking over your shoulder wondering what it's going to be this time that triggers a relapse. I realized on my last relapse that I was not pumping in enough fluids and salt. I thought I was, but I wasn't. Like you, my BP was low. I added 6-8 bottles of G2 + 8 oz of spicy V8 to my daily salt and water and that seemed to do the trick for me on getting my BP up and feeling better. It's a guessing game, though. Maybe it was just coincidence, but objectively, the BP #s did increase. Hope you feel better soon!

Jacquie,

Hello, I do not post often as I am 53 years old, became ill 3 years ago, don't know if I fit in with you young gals:). I was diagnosed at the Cleveland Clinic with low blood volume , some type of dysautonomia. Severe migraines...many symptoms etc... Your post caught my eye because when I first became ill I had nausea, gerd, breathing problems that progressed to other problems. For 2 years managed and then two months ago the horrible nausea returned along with constipation, now I can't stand for more than a few moments or pre-syncope...once I did pass out, I feel horrible as well. Thought it was odd that we both relapsed with nausea. There must be a clue there but what???? I have increased fluids but to no avail. Peeing a lot more again. I really feel for you as I know how we struggle then to fall back , it is so hard to try again, but we must!!! Let me know if you have any other questions that I can help with. I react badly to medicines so do not take much except potassium, mine is always low and I am trying cymbalta, other things increase my migraines.

Take care, Angelloz

Had to laugh Angelloz. You are not the oldest--I am 57, so now you can feel young!

Jacquie802,

By far and away nausea is my worst symptom. I am always worried that it will hit me from out of nowhere. I wish we could bottle it and kick it to the curb. I need to watch my fluid intake as well, and sometimes when I'm feeling well I might tend to forget it. That is why I fill a 2L bottle every day with salt water and make sure to finish it by day's end.

Also, doxepin has been a lifesaver for nausea. I am sensitive to meds and can't tolerate many, but doxepin agrees with me.

Hi Jacquie802!

So sorry it's been so hard lately:(. That stinks. I think you'll get better very soon!! I always get up very slowly, that seems to help faintness and dizziness. All of the people on here know having POTS is hard, but you also eventually get better. Hope your relapse ends soon!

Kayla, 10

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing symptoms again. I hope you get back to your normal self again. Sending you prayers and hugs. LOL. I am 57 too. I have good and bad days so I try to take each day as it comes. I may have one day good and the next feel weak, constantly dropping to the floor, nauseated with completely emptying out my bowel system-sorry for sounding gross, etc...Remission can be one day sometimes a few hours a day sometimes a few minutes feeling normal for me. Just take it slowly and use this site for in-site in helping you get back on the road to recovery again.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I am having a repeat tilt table test Thursday since it has been 4 years since my last one. I'll update everyone!

In the same age boat with blue but I'm thinking that it's just because there are more boomers than any other age group; a coincidence.

SO SORRY about the relapse. I relapsed over and over until I just stayed down and never came back. But I kept trying to work and hitting a wall, so that was my bad, for my entire adult life. Maybe you can learn from me and quit while you are ahead.

You can be assured that you will have a unique dysautonomia journey; maybe this is your last relapse and you'll be back on your feet (literally) soon...or not. It's an individualized disease. There is no telling. For me, a positive attitude doesn't hurt!

Keeping you in my prayers, Elegiamore