30 Day Event Monitor

metoo

Hello, My doctor currently has me wearing a 30 day event monitor.I think he wanted to know if I was being honest about my symptoms!I have wore it now for 3 weeks.It has auto recorded on average 15 to 20 times a day.I brush my teeth...it goes off.My hr has ranged from 227 to 32 bpm.

It has made me more aware.I try to not think about what is going on inside my body and keep a positive outlook but it is hard to ignore this infernal machine beeping all the time.Also my family is more aware of it.My husband has been wonderful and tries really hard to understand this illness but now every time it starts beeping he thinks I need to crawl into bed and never come back out!We were going to visit my Mom,which is a treat for me to be able to get out of this house,I walked to the car...it was beeping.We had a argument,he wanted me to go to bed,I wanted to go!It seems since I have this on the ONLY topic up for conversation has been my hr.I can walk up on my family talking...and guess what its about...I'll be glad when its over and life is back to normal for me.I guess it is good in a way because my father in law thought I was just lazy and nothing was wrong with me...he seems to understand better now anyway.

Anyway...sorry to ramble.If anyone reads this and has had this done how exactly did it help the doctors?Thanks for any input.Melanie

I've never heard of an event monitor that goes off on it's own. Usually you press a button when you feel something and it only goes a minute or so and after a few different times, you can turn it in. Is this some kind of new thing? I'm sorry you are having so many problems. I used to be like that till my ablation, now I just feel like crap 24/7, although I don't really have huge swings in heart rate anymore, but now they say that's the problem. Go figure. :) morgan

I'm curious--is it set to beep when your hr reaches a certain level? Does it beep when there's an irregular beat?

I can see that the beeping could be disconcerting to others. I see that it's nice to have their concern--but it sounds like their worry is more upsetting to you than the way you actually feel. If that's the case, then remind your family that you're wearing the monitor as a way to help the doctors find a way to help you--not as a way to get your family's sympathy. You're used to feeling a certain way and you're dealing with things just fine! If you feel well enough to go out, then you should absolutely do so--and they should support your efforts.

One more week--hang in there. Conversation in your home will return to normal, except hopefully, after your follow up with the doctor, you'll all have a better understanding of who you are and what you need to take care of yourself and to have others take care of you.

Best,

merrill

Hey Metoo,

The others have given you great advice. I am sure your doctor believes you and is just doing the test to get more info to figure out how to treat you better. Many of us have had to wear monitors, so it's pretty standard. It is good that the doctors can see what a big swing in HR you have, too.

Anyway, I agree with Merrill that you should definitely be up and about if you feel up to it. When I wore my monitor, my doctors told me to try to be active so that the symptoms would show up on the monitor and they could see what I was going through on a day to day basis. Tell your husband that staying in bed could actually hinder the process! :)

Hang in there,

Rita

It is set to auto record if the hr goes too low,too high, pauses...basically everything that can happen.There is a button I can push to manually record but it has always auto recorded before I get the button pushed.Then it starts beeping.I have been so far down in this POTS hole for so long I am willing to try anything that can hekp the doctors understand and hopefully help.It is documented by TTT that I am getting progressively worse over the last year since being dx'd.I am not sure how much lower I can go...I'm pretty sure I've hit bottom and am trying to claw my way out!Thanks for your support! Melanie

I would love to have an auto event recorder, but I don't think my docs or hospital have access to those here. They just dole out the kind that you have to manually push the record button. Although I can see how it could get annoying and worrisome with it going off all of the time. Hopefully at least now your doctor will take you seriously and can get some good insight into what's going on. Hang in there. By the way, do you know what company makes this type of recorder? I'd like to request it from my doc. Thanks. :)

Metoo, I think our families see us sometimes looking pretty good and it is hard to know that even when we look ok, we are not. So probably what is happening is they are getting a real dose of "awareness and education" and maybe even feeling a bit guilty that they haven't been more sympathetic with your symptoms in the past. If so, remember that is THEIR issue to come to terms with but realizing that a very sick person can still look good is a contradiction many cannot realize.

I hope that your doctor will be able to get useful information that will help you. I only had a 24 hour monitor and was so sick I hardly got out of bed so kudos for your to keep pushing forward.

Wow, what a great type of monitor. I wish they had it before my ablation. I can feel my heart trying to beat too fast, but the ablation killed that. So now it can't compensate, but the thing is, sometimes it needs to speed up a little for me to function and can't seem to. Isn't hindsite great? As far as your family, I'm sorry it's been rough for you. If it makes you feel any better, my hub told me if and when I die, he'll be sad but he'd never marry anyone like me again, as he's put in his time with that and he wants sex. But he assured me he didn't mean it in a mean way. He's happy he's married to me. Gosh it sure sounds like it to me, and I am so happy he feels that way....morgan