BP really low

morgan617

:( As some of you know, I have had severe hypertension for several years. It never goes down and I have never had syncope or anything. The lowest my bp has been in 4 years is about 160/96. I had a colonoscopy last week :) and since then, my bp is in the tank! I mean like 100/60. Boy do I feel like crap. I have never recovered very well from them, and thought maybe I'm just having a hard time getting volumes back up. It doesn't help that the provigil makes me want to hurl so i don't drink nearly as much. And it's not as though I want to have a stroke, but was wondering if any of you thought it was hypovolemia related as I do. My body is not handling these low numbers well at all. For the first time I think I may become a sycopal type person. My doctor is stumped, but at the time I didn't think about the hypovolemia and he would have assumed I was recovered from it, but I had diarrhea and bleeding for 4 days after. Any opinions? I can't do salt because of my inner ear disease, so can just do water. Thanks morgan

Hey morgan,

Glad to see you on the board these days, although sorry you are not feeling well. That is weird that your BP dropped so much. My BP has been going back and forth between low and high BP since the late fall. Whenever it happens, I feel awful and can barely function sometimes, so I can imagine it must be worse for you with such a big swing. That may be part of the reason you have headaches and vomiting too, b/c that has happened to me. I can tell you, though, that for me I think it's a reaction to the change in BP and not the BP number itself. It takes my body several days to adjust to the change and then I do feel better. I hope you'll feel better in a couple of days!

I don't know the reason for the drop, but you also could be dehydrated with the vomiting and diarrhea. So loading up on fluids is probably a good idea, even if you can't have salt.

-Rita

Hi, Morgan. Can you have electrolyte drinks? I really recommend something like that, especially b/c you had the runs for 4 days... that's really a lot, and you're quite depleted right now. Plain water won't be enough. Have you called your doctor? I'd even check with the inner-ear doc ... our bodies need some salt, I think--and it seems like that, along w/other electrolytes, might help you improve right now.

Best,

Merrill

It seems to take me a long time to recover from loosing fluids....electrolytes drinks, salt and time are required for my recovery. Iv fluids could really help speed up this process for you. I can only imagine how bad I would feel after a colonoscopy prep. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Dawn A

Morgan, my bp was 90/60 after the colonoscopy and that was after receiving 2 large bags of fluids at the hospital. I easily become hypovolemic and I am wondering if that has been a problem for you in the past? I would lean toward hypovolemia because of the diarrhea after the procedure and the fact that when you feel like crap you are probably not getting sufficient fluids. I know the a day of diarrhea can take 3 or 4 days of aggressive hydration for me so I can't imagine this going on for 4 days. I agree with others that electrolyte drink or will your doctor give you orders for IV? When I get behind on fluids, nothing I can do at home works as well as getting fluids through IV.

hope you are feeling better soon.

Hi guys, just can't seem to feel better. I know it's not the provigil, because my bp was so low before he started me on it. I just feel like I can't get hydrated. My stomach bothers me so much, it's hard to get a lot of fluids down. My hubs got me some sports drinks, but they have a lot of sugar in them and that makes me feel even worse. If I went and asked for an IV, they would laugh me out of the ER, because my blood doesn't show dehydration, my body just thinks it is. And as you all know trying to explain concepts like those fall on mostly deaf ears. I'm a little on the outs with hubs right now and that really doesn't help either. My therapist said I am clinically depressed right now...YA THINK... :angry: My pcp said the side effects of antidepressants are worse for me than any benefit I might derive from them and he is right. So guess I'm in a big ol potshole right now. But I do appreciate all of you and knowing that people somewhere care means a lot. Sorry to vent. (This is why I haven't been posting much) I have been emailing Emily, am waiting for the day I get a response. Thanks for your support. morgan

Hi Morgan,

I am trying to be practical and helpful so here is my suggestion. Can your PCP give you a script for IV and you give it to yourself? I know some patients have that permission. Since you are a nurse you would not need the training to put in the needle. That would be more useful than arguing with ER doctors and you could take some whenever you feel you need it. You would no longer depend on the doctors' power.

Ernie

Morgan, I don't know whether you're up for reading all the posts these days... in case you're not, I saw that you wrote that you're looking for a reply from Emily to your emails. I don't want you to feel disappointed that you've not heard from her (on top of everything else you're going through); it's my understanding that she isn't up for emailing or being on the computer to read forum posts etc. right now. But she's groovin' on snail mail, so we've started something of a mail drive ... If you feel up to it yourself, you can send a card to her c/o the DINET PO box, and Michelle will make sure that she gets it.

I know it's hard to wait, whether it's for a return to health or for good news... but hang in there. Wishing you the best--I hope the new med's beneficial effects kick in soon for you. :angry:

Merrill