There's Something In B Complex I React To - Think It's B12

E246

I know not to take B complex as something in it upsets me. Issie suggested it was B3 which upsets her.

Had first adrenaline surge in 3 month last night after drinking some long life soya milk. Had to take valium, bp was 155/95 as i was getting better so goodness knows what it was earlier.

It started again this morning after more tea with the soya and when I checked the label it had B12 in it.

I am not known to have allergies but then again i have not been tested for them. Generally can't find any correlation between diet and food but i have been looking for the specific vit that upset me for years and i think it'd this.

So - as ever - does anyone else have same similar problem with B12 or other vits.

Well, each time you drank soya milk. I'm allergic to soy - so much so that I can't use any supplement with it in there. Some of the B complexs have yeast in them as a source of the B's. I have to use a B without yeast. You have to read labels. Usually, if it's in a complex form - most, but not all - will be okay with it. I cannot use niacin but can use nicinamide. Even though I can't take B12 by itself - in a complex I can tolerate it because the other B's balance it out. So thinking maybe the yeast or the soy. The only B complex I've found that I don't react to is by Nature Made its a time released one. PM me and I'll give you the name. All the other ones I've tried - I've reacted to. Also, check out and see if soy is a problem for you - lots of people react to soy.

Issie

I now drink it all h tme but it was uht not fresh which is why it had the added b12. Seems so unlikely but something triggered the surges and I can only think it was that.

Thanks Issie - I knew you would have a take on it. Perhaps i will give soya a miss for a while.

Another thought is if you are low in NO (nitric oxide) B12 is a potent NO scavenger. Some of us are high in it and some low. If you need more and take away what you have - B12 will make you feel awful. That was one of my test -I experiment on myself - to see if my idea of needing more NO was relevant. For me, I think I'm too low and need to boost it. B12 did a number on me by itself. But, in a complex - I'm okay.

Issie

Issie/Rama Thanks - How would you check if you're low NO. Getting a bad reaction to something can throw light on what mechanisms are in action - there is something in the B complex / magnesium range that upsets me. In the past before i knew I had pots I would have flares and suspected it was from something in the multi vit - but it didn't seem to make any sense. It was such a bad reaction after months of no surges I want to track it down.

I think turmeric helps and thats a scavenger - isn't it? So it shouldn't. Are there any other scavengers?

I have stopped the soya today but i have been drinking fresh soya milk for months. This was uht and had added B12.

Thanks Futurehope - i used to take that years ago - good idea.

I can not take B12 at all. I have a horrible reaction to it. It makes me very very jittery. My Dr. tested my B12 again last month and it was low (250) and said I need to take supplements. I am scared to try them again because the last time I did I felt awful. Once I had a Dr. give me a B12 shot before I had POTS and it made me unfuntional for about 2 months. I think myDr. will think I am nuts if I tell him I can not tolerate a simple vitamin. I may explore the NO idea in more depth. Thanks for posting. I thought I as the only one who could not tolerate a simple supplement.

I cannot take any active forms of B vitamins except for L-methylfolate(metafolin), B12 (methyl) and B3 (niacinimide). For whatever reason those 3 don't bother me in any dose. I have taken megadoses of B12 before without any issues and it helps with the numbness and tingling in my legs and feet. However Benfotiamine (B1), P5P(B6), folinic acid and a few others I'm forgetting at the moment, give me PVC's within a day or two of taking them.They start off slow and then proceed to occur at least 5-10 times a minute. It is usually immediately following a breath and becomes extremely uncomfortable. I don't get the jittery, revving symptoms many associate with B vitamins.

So, I'm no expert on vitamins or minerals, but remember someone about B-12 having to do with the methylation (?) pathways? Maybe that is telling that something as simple as B12 gets to everyone? Something in that pathway we're missing to help process it?

I take B12 injections monthly, and have for 12 years. My POTS began 6 years ago, so don't think it plays into my POTS. But, I do feel a little tired for a couple of days after I get it. As far as the other Bs, I test high for B6 and folate. I don't tolerate Bcomplex because it bloats my stomach and is too energizing for me.

Hey Dana,

Long time, no see. Glad you're back - but, hope that doesn't mean you're bad again.

B12 is a potent NO scavenger and it did a number on me. I think I need more NO.

If you are reacting to the B's consider the source. Like I said earlier some people really react to yeast. If that's the form it could bother you.

Magnesium blocks the NMDA system according to some reports. So could be an issue for some. (It has something to do with glutamates.)

I figured out a while back that a good amount of my symptoms are similiar to beriberi - that's a B1 deficiency. I started taking it and had awful surges and over sympathetic response. Then, another memeber here posted that this would be the initial reaction and indicates that you really need it if that happens. So, I stuck it out and stayed with it. Now, I'm tolerating it just fine. My energy levels are coming up and so is my exercise tolerance. Whether this is the supplement that did it, (because, I'm trying a bunch of new things - right now) or not - I don't know. But, what I do know, is those reactions went away.

Dana, good to have you back. Look forward to brain storming with you again.

Issie

Hey Issie. Well it's been a warm spring, so I remember just how sick I actually am...I'm sure others are feeling it too with the unseasonable temps. I've also been dealing with a lingering strep infection that lead to post-streptococcal complications. It ended up being a pretty miserable winter as far as health goes, but thankfully we didn't get much snow.

I used to inject 5mg of methylB12 on a daily basis and never had any issues whatsoever with it. I don't get any energy, jitters or revving from B12. I think I have high NO as opposed to low NO. This is just my theory and it is not based upon any testing though. One thing to consider is that when you take B12 it can lower potassium levels. I think it also increases RBC production, so anemia may rear its head too. I'm trying to recall from memory what was on the insert included in my B12 injections. I could be remembering wrong so don't quote me! haha.

I tried B1 in multiple forms and didn't find anything good happened to me. I tried again just recently because I saw one user on here has been doing fantastic lately since adding it in. Unfortunately it took only 3 days (1 pill a day) for the PVC's to start up. I used to keep going, but after this has happened so many times, I'm afraid to keep going..lol

Have you tried the B1 cream applied to the skin? I think it's called Authia Cream. It's really stinky and pricey, but might be something to consider if the B1 is helping so much. I took a quick look at my vitamins and they all say yeast free, so I don't think that's it. The folinic acid was Source Naturals MegaFolinic. The P5P was Now Foods and it also says yeast free. I used to be on a yeast free diet for a year or 2 and didn't find it helped me, so I stopped it awhile back. It restricted so many foods and decided it wasn't worth continuing since I didn't feel any different on it.

Turmeric (curcumin) was really bad for me. It made my anxiety worse and I felt manic at times. It modulates the immune system and I decided whatever it was doing it was not a good thing for me. I've had similar reactions to other immune modulating supplements. 1,3 Beta glucans were terrible...Those are yeast based though.

Hey Dana,

Long time, no see. Glad you're back - but, hope that doesn't mean you're bad again.

B12 is a potent NO scavenger and it did a number on me. I think I need more NO.

If you are reacting to the B's consider the source. Like I said earlier some people really react to yeast. If that's the form it could bother you.

Magnesium blocks the NMDA system according to some reports. So could be an issue for some. (It has something to do with glutamates.)

I figured out a while back that a good amount of my symptoms are similiar to beriberi - that's a B1 deficiency. I started taking it and had awful surges and over sympathetic response. Then, another memeber here posted that this would be the initial reaction and indicates that you really need it if that happens. So, I stuck it out and stayed with it. Now, I'm tolerating it just fine. My energy levels are coming up and so is my exercise tolerance. Whether this is the supplement that did it, (because, I'm trying a bunch of new things - right now) or not - I don't know. But, what I do know, is those reactions went away.

Dana, good to have you back. Look forward to brain storming with you again.

Issie

Dana, you know my go to for strep right? Apple cider vinegar - has been said to kill strep in 24 hours. That and olive leaf are my go to things for when I get sick.

So, if B12 is helping you it makes sense that you may be high in NO. And since I think I need more NO - B12 was awful.

Sorry the B1 didn't help you. Everyone is so different - at least you know that's not a part of your puzzle. Never tried the cream.

Since I need to moderate my autoimmune system - wondering if that is one reason why I thought it helped me before. Will give it a try again. I know it helped pain.

Issie

I also can't take B complex. It makes me become flushed and panicked. Scared me to pieces a few times. I took just B12 once and it messed me up. My son also took B12 once and it caused his heart to race terribly. We almost took him to the hospital but we gave him a small dose of B6 and tons of water to have the opposite affect and flush it out. He never did it again. Silly teenager drank one of those energy drinks. Anyhow, I now liquid Floridix that has iron and a lot of B12, since it's liquid, I can control the dose of B12 I get. I only take about a quarter of the dose and I do fine with it. But I only take it every other day since just that small amount of B12 can also keep me up at night.