Pac's/pvc's, Anyone?

Yes, it definitely can be POTS related when you have an otherwise healthy heart (but do get a cardiologist to check you out if you haven't already). When I first got POTS symptoms many years ago, a 24 hour Holter monitor showed an alarming number of PVCs according to my cardiologist, but mine have subsided over time and especially now that I found out I have mast cell activation problems and am treating that condition, I rarely have heart rhythm problems. Still, from time to time over the years I'm sure I've had PVCs, as I can feel my heart beating forcibly and feeling like it's skipping beats. This used to happen most often if I had too much caffeine or red wine.

Definitely get more PAC/PVCs nowadays. Has shown up on the 30 day monitors I've done as well.

I've also had other abnormalities start showing up on my EKGs since I got sick but the cardio keeps insisting it's not a problem. My POTS doc thinks it's odd though and not a normal part of POTS.

I started getting PAC's a few months before my pots started, and then they increased dramatically after the pots. The weird thing about mine is that they come on in spurts. I will have a ton every day for a few months and then for no reason at all they will stop completely for a few months. I believe they occur with pots or IST because of the adrenaline. The cells become super sensitive to the adrenaline and fire inapropriately.

I have a Mitral Valve Prolapse, and I know I have irregular rhythm at times, although my 24 hour holter never picked it up, so I guess I had a good day. ^_^ I actually have a B/P monitor that picks up irregular heart beat, and every time it happens, I can feel it, and every time I am at home, I take it, and it says I have an irregular heart beat. When I was going through menopause it was worse, and I just thought it was palpatations from that....lol They are not as bad, since I've been on Bystolic, but they still occur. The autonomic nervous system can affect the electrical system in the heart, as anywhere else in the body, so it is no surprise to me. That's why some with severe Dysautonomia need to have pacemakers and difibrillators put in, to regulate their hearts. A Mitral Valve Prolapse is the regurgitation or leaking of the blood back into the left atria from the left ventrical, because of a malformation of the mitral valve. It can cause dizziness, fainting, visual disturbances and fatigue. Most people are asymptomatic, but those of us with this diagnosis, and dysautonomia have the symptoms. Some doctors put you on blood thinners, as well, to potentially stop clotting that can occur because of it, which could lead to a stroke. If you have it, usually you are put on antibiotics prior to any surgical procedure, as well. :)

That is interesting kimbellgirl, I noticed my regurgitation from my medical records, I have regurgitation in my mitral,tricuspid, and pulmonary valves with borderline increased thickening in my aortic valve (not sure what that means) I have had pacs most of my life but didn't know what they were.

I just haven't had a doc address it. But I am sure I have mvps, and like you said being symptomatic is probably due to the dysautonomia. I have a bp machine with irregularity indicator as well that is where I found it first and then had the holter confirm all the different arrythmias.

I've had various types of heart rhythm issues for as long as I can remember. Sometimes it's bad enough that most blood pressure monitors won't be able to get a proper reading. I now have a critical care patient monitor which manages to get a reading no matter what is happening. It's also reassuring to be able to do a quick ECG and confirm that it's just my body's abnormally normal and something new hasn't popped up.

Doctors have had mixed reactions to my ECGs and various cardiac tests over the years. Those with aggressive tendencies were pushing for a pacemaker + multiple drugs, while those with a more conservative approach have advocated for close monitoring and observation. I've chosen the latter -- I work around too many electrical & electronic things that could seriously interfere with a pacemaker. I figure I can always get a pacer if I really need it.

• 1 month later...

I get PVC's and PAC's all the time (literally hundreds a day). They are very annoying and can really take your breath away. Definitely get your electrolytes checked out because an imbalance can absolutely cause these. Make sure they check your magnesium level as well (though it is one of your electrolytes they dont always check it with sodium and potassium). Magnesium supplementation is said to be helpful to some people, though it did not ever work for me. The only thing I have found to help them is B and C vitamins. ...........and birth control pills make them a MILLION times worse!!!!

I'm right there with all of you. I get PAC's and PVC's every day, but when my "conditions" are acting up, I can get them pretty badly. I have mitral valve prolapse, and I've also had to have a heart ablation for dual pathway. My heart doctor said I have hundreds (possible exaggeration) of "potentials" all over my heart from which to throw irregular beats. No one really freaks out about my heart stuff unless I'm throwing quite a few ventricular things in a row. They don't feel good, though. In fact, they can actually hurt at times, they get so strong.

Lindajoy

I hate having all of these irregular rythyms. In the articles I've read, they say that POTS patients should only have sinus tachycardia, but this has definitely not been my experience (nor the experience of many of you, obviously). I was diagnosed with mitral regurgitation (mild), but that showed up at exactly the same time my POTS symptoms showed up, so I feel like it's related to POTS. Within days of my sudden onset of POTS, my doc could hear a new pronounced murmur.

My doc just ordered a 14 day monitor for me too to find out exactly what they are. He's questioning A-Fib; V-tach (???). The skipped beats have shown up before on tests and I can feel them - it's only when they happen in bunches now, that I get concerned. I haven't seen a cardiologist yet, so I'm looking forward to that consult.

I wonder why some of us have this issue? It seems like the heart is a weak spot for me; for others it seems to be breathing issues or gastrointestinal issues, etc.

Do any of you have issue with lifting things? That seems to trigger more heart issues for me.

Yes lifting things definitely trigger them, as well as bending forward or suddenly moving (suddenly increasing my heart rate). Beta blockers actually made mine worse, as did birth control pills.

I get bigeminy (one every other beat) as well as couplets (two in a row) and have on occasion had short runs of v-tach (3 or more PVC's in a row).

Taking B and C vitamins has helped them to calm down a bit though I am not entirely sure why.....

Has anyone taken antiarrythmia meds for these?

I've avoided beta blockers because my resting heart rate is sometimes mid-low 50's and I've had a dip to 40 (awake & upright) when I've been symptomatic. I know it goes into the 40's when I sleep.

Does this get better over time? Right now my functional ability is pretty low and the main reason I don't push myself is because I get this over-reaction from my heart. It sets me back for days. I'd love to be able to make supper without a major setback.

Is there anything else that seems to help? I'm curious about the vitamins. I do take a multi-vitamin, so I wonder if I would benefit from extra.

It cant hurt to try them as you will just pee them out if your body cant use them :). I take a B complex and extra B1 twice a day. I also take 10000 of vitamin C daily (may increase it soon). It most definitely helps the POTS as well as the PVC's.

Anyone with any heart rhythm abnormalities should get their electrolytes checked-- particularly magnesium and potassium. Magnesium supplementation has been shown to help PVC's, though it will only help if you are low in magnesium (and should not be taken if you are not low!!). Mag sulfate is actually one treatment for V-tach. It is especially important for those with POTS to have their electrolytes checked because we tend to drink abnormal amounts of water and therefore can actually flush our electrolytes (and vitamins!) out of our body.

Also just wanted to mention that any antiarrhythmic is also a proarrhythmic (meaning that it can actually cause more arrhythmias). Typically they prescribe antiarrhythmics for more serious rhythm disturbances and not for isolated PVC's. There are of course exceptions, and your doctor would determine your risk. Generally cardiologists are not that concerned with isolated PVC's in a young person with no structural heart disease. That being said, they sure are annoying!!!!!! lol

Hope this helps someone :).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Alex

Hi everyone,

I do get them also- pvc's as documented by my 24 h Holter.

I've been reassured by my drs that they are "normal" it's just that some people are more sensitive and feel them more than others, but they are nothing to be worried about.

i can't see any relationship with my other symptoms, but i started getting them along with the other symptoms that lead to the POTS diagnostic.

My electrolytes are "picture perfect" as per my drs, also, my heart is fine from a structural point of view, the only thing I ever get (if any) on an ecg is sinus tachy, but no arrhythmias of any kind.

It might be worth mentioning that if you take florinef, or mestinon, or a beta blocker, the pvc's/pac's could be a side effect of the meds you're taking - these are meds i'm taking and i did look into possible side effects they might have.

Rissy2D, did I read that correctly, you are taking 10,000 mg vit c a day? Iam taking 1,000 and thinking of increasing, but maybe gradually. I'll check with my drs anyways and ask for their opinions on this.

Alex

• 1 month later...

I've been waking up at night with pvcs and sometimes a rapid heart rate. Do beta blockers help with these?