Why Can't We Bend Over??

julieph85

Ever since I developed pots when I go to bend over I get terrible pressure in my head and then as soon as I am upright again I get terrible dizziness and tachycardia, almost feels like I'm going to pass out for a few seconds. This happens every time I bend over. This never happened before pots. Why does this happen? I'm assuming it is triggering the vagus nerve when we bend forward and causing a vasalva type reaction. But why is this so sensitive in pots? I've noticed that my vagus nerve is extremely sensitive and even slight pressure in my chest will trigger the response. I cant even drink a glass of water without triggering it. But why????

This is such a great observation julie, before i ever got tachycardia etc. i was having problems bending over. In fact, bending over for me is worse then standing up. You would think that bending over would supply more blood to the brain?

Thank-you for the thread. Great explanation! I always thought it was because i was putting my heart below my head, but the other explanation makes more sense. Bending over used to be a huge migraine trigger for me, but now I just get the pressure and then dizziness nausea. Go figure.