need suggestions for increasing BP

dream02

Hi all,

I am sorry if this has already been discussed but I haven't seen it and I need some help. I'm on midordine and take extrat salt and drink tons but my BP still doesn't like staying up. I'll go a while with it low but functional for me and then it bottoms out. I'm not talking about just when I sit and or stand but also laying flat. I was just hospitalized again because it was 48/24. The doctor accused me of not taking my meds but I do and gave her **** for suggesting that. She pointed out I got better after a few days and I pointed out that yes but I was on total bed rest with constant IV fluids. I had a new port installed while I was there since my last one got septic and had to be removed. What's really scary to me is that I feel like I'm l;oosing to many brain cells, it's no longer just my short term memory being affected during the bad times but now even when I'm not feeling to bad I can't think or problem solve. I was getting use to POTS and perhaps I just had a lite case and now this is the really severe case it just seems different. Anyhow, are there any suggestions for helping elevate BP? I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Denise

:) Are you taking sodium tablets? I found that doing that along with using sea salt helped alot. I still ended up in the hospital alot until they put me on florinef. (Now I tend to run high BP) Since you have a port I assume you get hydration at home. Perhaps that needs to be adjusted preemptively???? Miriam

P.S> Got any kids to _iss you off?

In addition to taking in a lot of sea salt and fluids, I also take moderate to high doses of licorice root to increase my BP. You should research this herb to determine if it's right for you, but it is one of the items listed at potsplace.org in the what helps section. It does seem to help many on the board. Also, have you tried comperssion hose and moderate exercise to tone (especially leg muscles). And as Denise pointed out, you may want to consider Florinef. Have you discussed any other options with your doctor?

Hope you find relief soon!

Guest tearose

I was going to say the licorice root too! I see that you have great suggestions above.

Try different things, hope one of these will work for you.

And please, don't catch a cold right now! That will only make things harder.

take care, tearose

Thanks for the responses! I do have compresion hoses but will look into that root. I was actually on Florinef when I was first diagnoised but they took me off it and put me on the midordine the 1st time my BP dipped while on it. I may try it again for a longer trial to see how often my BP dips on it as opposed to on the other. I do try light exerciese as often as I can physically do it not just to help my legs but my back gets quite painful when I can't move. I don't get fluids at home, I have the port for access since I have no periffial veins and with my frequent hospitalizations and ER trips it has saved me even more pain with trying to find a vein for blood and fluids. The only time I've used it at home was when I had the septic infection and was on IV antibotics...boy am I glad that's overwith!! I'm still fighting the yeast infections from that.

Are any of your BP's low when laying flat too? I know each of us is different but that just seems different from postiural hypotension. I'm really stuck right now without insurance from doing to much. I have my meds cause the hospital prescribed them but my hunt for a team of doctors has to wait until I have some way to pay them.

Denise :)

:P My blood pressure can get very low when lying down. Some mornings when I wake up you would think I am drunk. If I am not holding on to the wall then I walk funny. I personally feel that my blood pressure drops so that I battle to even wake up some times. Scary but true, that is why I hate mornings so much.That is why I cant over sleep or skip a meal. Skipping a meal makes it even worst. Good luck!

Florinef and mireodine- now dr. low changed it to inderal, and it works. Keep some food by your bed, so you can eat take meds first then get uo. There are some good low carb bars out there. Keep suggesting things. I had to have I.V.'s at home for months. Home health delivers them and will even give them.

Miriam

My blood pressure drops started a year into the POTS diagnosis. I was pretty severely anemic and that wasn't helping any of my symptoms. They increased my red blood cells by giving me Epogen injections and usually my pressure is better. I still have triggers that can cause me to have really low blood pressure. I can't take midodrine because I had a reaction to it. I use florinef, increased salt, coffee 1- 2 cups a day and increased water. My base line blood pressure is 93-100/60 but when I hit the mid 80's I feel really bad. It's hard to think or concentrate and I have this light-headed or dizzy feeling.