Holiday Fatigue

Brye

This holiday fatigue is kicking my tail. I'm eeking by in life and now schools out, I have 4 kids home who are bouncing off the walls they are SO EXCITED!!! I'm tryiing not to be a holiday grinch but the list of things to do is so long and all I want to do is go take a nap. It's a lot of pressure being santa's helper!! Thank goodness for HAPPY MEALS!! Right now I'm wishing my Elf on a Shelf could be productive instead of mischievous and babysit a while!! If you have any holiday survival tips let me know. I Feel blessed to have such a fun, sweet family, they're just wearing me out! Have a great holiday season all my POTS friends!!

Brye

I know exactly what you're saying! All this holiday activity used to be so much fun, but now I just feel like it's such a challenge! I love seeing my family and getting together with people, giving gifts, and all of that, but it just uses so much energy that I don't have! I hope we all get a little extra energy from Santa this year to make it through the holidays and let us enjoy them. :)

I was going to post a thread similar to this a while ago- but i didnt want to come off like a downer. haha

I really miss the way I used to be able to go non-stop for the holiday season....cooking Thanksgiving, Black Friday shopping at 4AM, christmas shopping all december, xmas, new years- all of it. I could do anything i wanted!

But lately im so drained. I cant shop for very long without having to pull my boyfriend out of the stores due to blacking out or just getting overly exhausted. I can't even stand to be chatty with family or just hang out. :(

Ugh I'm coming off like a downer anyway.

Don't feel bad - I was thinking it too, so I'm glad you posted this. This year has been different for me. The shopping was dizzying and exhausting - I'm sooo glad it's done. At one point I walked away with another person's cart - she caught up with me three aisles down - embarrassing! When it came time to get the tree - normally it's a family affair and I definitely want input on which tree we get. This year I couldn't get up the energy - I just asked my husband to go get it. I think he was shocked. He took my son and they picked a great one. When it came time to decorate it, I sat more than usual and let them do a lot of the decorating. I'm just tired. Thank God we're going to see family on Christmas so I won't have to cook. Although it will be my turn on New Year's Day! :o I just feel like I got worse this year - I don't know what's happening. I do still love the holidays though and can't wait to see my children's reactions Christmas morning. :D

Hats off to you who have some form of dysautonomia at this time of year! I'm exhausted and I don't have an illness, my son has the POTS! I feel for all of you. I will make a 'blanket' prayer for all of you who are struggling as I know this time of year must be hard on you. And if you're like my son, cold weather just brings out the severity of all of his symptoms.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Christy

It's tough and I have also felt tired and stressed this month and my POTS is not severe. I think it is hard even for people who are pretty well, b/c there are so many demands and expectations and we want so many things to happen this month.

I have become strict with what I will do and what I won't do at the holidays. I ask myself what are the most important things I want to do, and I do let go of a lot of things. Like I let go of a few parties,making all the baked goods I would like, getting cards out to each person I know, etc. I've pared it down to two activities my daughter and I do together each yr, one activity with friends, the tree and keeping the house reasonably clean, and a short list of gifts I want to give. Also, some sort of giving action -- buying for a less fortunate child or family, etc. Otherwise I just get too stressed and tired and get sick and then it's not fun anymore.

I feel the same way. I am counting the days until the kids go back to school so I can sleep. My cardiologist told me yesterday that they call it Holiday Heart because all his patients have more problems around the holidays. He said not only do all of the holiday activities but everybody is trying to do all of the year end activities right in the middle of a weather change. He said its enough to put healthy people in the hospital not to mention POTS patients.

I am with you all. Having this illness during this time of year is added stress to the holidays. For me, the real reason for the season is Jesus Christ. Forget about the hustle and bustle going on and just do the best you can and focus on yourself to get or stay as well as can be. Hugs & love to all with Dysautonomia and any other non-curable disease.

This year has been a tough one! I underestimated how hard it would be to have a toddler during Christmas. I stupidly took her shopping with us and it was terrible! The long lines, tantrums and me passing out... next year I am going to plan out everything and she will be older so maybe it will be a litttle easier. Hope everyone has a symptom free or less symptomatic holiday! :)

I'm over it too ... It's just too much to do when we can barely function anyways. I'm sure I sound like a downer to my friends and family so I'm happy you brought this up ... thanks ...

I miss having young children at Christmas time. There's nothing like the anticipation of Santa and joy you see on their faces this time of year ..

My DD couldn't stand all the excitement so I started letting her pick a present a day from under the tree before Christmas. Typically, xmas books, puzzles, etc .. anything to keep her busy and to reduce her anxiety level. We spent hours watching all those great Xmas videos too. The Santa Claus and ELF were our favorites ...

tc ... d

This is my first year for the holidays after being diagnosed in September with POTS. My boyfriend and kids understand that mom can't do as much and that I have to have my naps. The rest of my family doesn't really get it. I feel bad because I don't even want to go to Christmas dinner due to my anxiety attach after thanksgiving. It room 3 days to recover from that. How do you explain to them that you can't handle being around all of them?

Thanks for all the kind responses! I've made it through church with the family, completed my elf good bye note, and all my santa's helper duties are done for the night. Maybe they'll sleep in?? HAHA Have toned it down this year ... no big dinner, no massive cookie sessions. Love their excitement, just wish I had their energy. So thankful though for each day I'm able to spend with my sweet family. Trying to focus on what I can do and not what I can't. Tough time of year to deal with an illness, hang in there and have the best holiday you can!!! Off to bed. Santa's helper needs some rest!!! (Love the holiday heart theory ... so true)

Brye