Harder To Bounce Back From A Flare Up As We Get Older?

persephone

Yes, in my case the bad patches are worse and last longer with age. I also think that as we get older, it is harder to put life "on hold" to concentrate on recovering, which probably lengthens the bad patch.

I saw your other thread about dealing with the recovery period. I prefer to keep to a normalish routine at night; going to bed reasonably late and getting up as if I was going to work, or maybe an hour or so later. I find that being up and about in the morning helps in the long run, horrible as it is at the time. I'm not talking about doing too much. Just sitting up and perhaps pottering around the house, getting a drink etc. If this means that by 3pm, I need a nap, then so be it. Otherwise, if I stay in bed too long in the morning, I can't get my blood pressure back up so the POTS is inevitably worse all day.

What I do find difficult these days if I find myself in a bad patch is eating properly. I can't stand long enough to prepare food and don't have the appetite in any case. Living off ready prepared food is not great for weeks on end. I think it was good that you could move back in with your parents so you don't need to cook or worry about looking after your house.

In essence, I suspect you are doing all you can. Hang in there - things will improve.

Best wishes

Maybe I am not old enough to know yet :P but over 9 yrs, overall, my symptoms have gradually improved, and so has the duration and severity of relapses, with the exception of a very bad one I had last year--but still, it only lasted about a week- 10 days.

Regarding Cath_UK's comments on relapse recovery, I completely agree that for me too, staying in bed too much makes it worse. In general, even staying in bed more than 8.5 hours, I tend to feel more poorly (even not in a relapse). I find it best to force myself, however miserable and uncomfortable it is, to get out of bed at my "normal" time, and try to stay upright as much as possible.

I also agree that a good diet is essential for us.

I also find that flares are very difficult emotionally--this never gets any easier, for me. Every time it happens it brings back bad memories and the fear of the unknown--how long will this last? Will I be able to do X, Y and Z?

I hope you feel much better soon.

I agree with that observation 100% - my urge is always to keep sleeping but your much better off getting up and moving around. Getting up and sitting in front of a computer still for hours is like doing a slow tilt table test - your better off moving around and just doing your best to keep active until things improve.

Im talking from personal experience here. I used to get up and work on the computer straight away and it made me feel pretty ordinary pretty quickly.

In my late 40's now...and all I can say is Yes, for me, but my struggles are physically, not emotionally... but I also think it may depend on the type of POTS or dysautonomia that you have as much as age. I've never tasted "normalcy" b/c my type is genetic so I've had this my entire life.

Persephone- I find that I don't bounce back anymore. But that has a lot more to do with the fact that my various dx's just don't play well together. I have sustained some permanent damage, and as my EDS is degenerative, I can only look forward to more. I find having good support is ESSENTIAL to managing my sense of well-being. Coping with chronic illness can be very, very hard. It isolates you terribly, not being able to work and get out limits your social circle a great deal. I know I sound like an old saw on this subject, but having a good support network is just so very important. I thought for a while that because I was too ill to get out, I had no way of making friends, and had asked too much of the ones I have. I even tried to force my fiance out of my life, because I loved him FAR too much to "chain him to a cripple". Fortunately, a period of intense prayer and reflection, as well as some phone sessions with my wonderful therapist, helped me to see that I was really compounding the situation. I was also being very cruel to the people who love me and care about me by deciding for them how much they wanted to be there for me. I have learned to state simply what my needs are to my entire circle of support, including friends, family, and church. Then I let people volunteer for as much, or as little, as they want.

I also stopped being an idiot about the wonderful man who is willing to go on this crazy, and bumpy, ride with me. I have worked very hard to realize that my value is so much more than this shell that is my body. I am so very aware now of the fact that particularly because I am ill, I am especially beloved by God, and if I trust in Him, He will provide for my needs. Trusting in God's abundant love for me has made my life so very much happier, because it really helped me to see my self worth is not tied to my physical ability. Faith is not the answer for everyone, but I definitely encourage you to find the things that make you feel good about yourself, and spend as much time as you can with the people who love you. Don't be afraid or ashamed to seek of professional counseling either. Chronic illness is a huge challenge for even the strongest people to cope with, and there is no shame in needing some help coping. Hope this helps!

Sandy