Propranolol (Inderal)

My cardiologist recently changed my beta blocker from coreg to Propranolol. I noticed that it blocks epinephrines. It seems like that would be a good thing. I haven't started taking the medication yet. Does anyone take this and what have your experiences?

I have taken inderal before and I thought it worked better than a lot of the other beta blockers.. I was allergic to toperal and coreg though so I was not on them for very long. When I took inderal, I only needed a small dose because I am so hypersensitive to medication which can happen with POTS. Also, the electrophysiologist told me that people seem to respond better to the kind that isnt extended release. What I liked about inderal is that I could break it up and take more or less when needed. Also, if you have headaches, youll notice that you wont have as many if any. Sometimes they prescribe inderal for migraines. Hope this helps.

I love it. It helps my tremor and tachycardia. If I miss a dose, I definitely know it by the increase in my symptoms.

For migraine prophylaxis, my doctors have said that it has to be a minimum of 60mg which is way more than most people with POTS etc can tolerate. Unfortunately on the dose I'm taking it hasn't helped my migraines.

• 2 weeks later...

Propranolol, even at a low dose, lowered my BP and made me weak and dizzy. This happened because it is non-selective beta blocker: it blocks all beta receptors.

So they switched me to a very low dose of Metoprolol Tartrate (1/4 of a 25 mg tablet twice a day). This is a selective beta 1 receptor blocker, and it worked quite well. It stops my heart from jumping around and does not lower my BP.

My 16 year old takes 1/2 - 1 tablet of .1 tablet of fludrocort which helps bring her blood pressure up a little. She has very low blood pressure to start with, with the bottom number usually in the low-med 40's but improved in the blood pressure area with the fludrocort. She takes metoprolol tartrate 25 mg tablets, a full one before she gets out of bed and another 1/2 with lunch. This so far has helped reduce the tachycardia, and many of her POTS symptoms. Things like her tremors, shaking, and digestion also improved with the beta blocker. She started the meds in May. She was on 2 tablets of the metoprolol tartrate but that was cut in half and then we tried an in-between dose. The reason it was reduced was her blood pressure went very low again even though for 4 months it was fine. Her resting heart rate was around 49 at that time as well, so another reason to reduce the beta blocker a little. So far all levels are better.