Could A Medication Have Been The Trigger?

sylvan

In my composing my most recent post where I mentioned my tendancy to severe/rare reactions to medication, I was suddenly struck with a memory, and now wonder if my tachycardia (and other?) issues could trace themselves to a medication. I took it for only a week, but I've long been aware that it has had at least one life-long side effect.

I don't remember what it was, but it was perscribed after I was diagnosed with IBS -- something about modifying the intestinal contractions. The effect I know it has had, is that it had the side effect of stopping you sweating, and warned not to overheat while taking it. Unfortunately, at the time my job involved heavy physical labour outside and it was summer. So despite being very careful I think I managed to give myself "artificial heat stroke" -- overheating and no sweating. As I said, I only took it for a week, but that summer I had several episodes of heat exhaustion (one getting close to true heat stroke) when I had never done so before. Since then, I've been very sensitive to heat and have to watch my activities carefully to avoid heat exhaustion.

But the other thing I remembered is this: I always read those inserts that come with the pills, with all the side effect, etc. On the list of "rare but dangerous" side effects to "call the doctor immediately if" you have them was racing heart -- which I guess is tachycardia. I experienced racing heart shortly after taking the first pill, and dutifully called the doctor immediately. I was basically blown off, told I was imagining it, influenced by reading the slip.

I don't remember why I stopped the pill -- I remember it didn't really help the pain any. But I do know that about that time is when I can remember the symptoms I now complain of starting. I wonder if it could have possibly caused all this?

• 1 month later...

I had never had any dysautonomia symptoms, other than background nausea, before starting Cymbalta. With the Cymbalta I got really spacey while walking; after about four months we finally connected spacey with high heart rate, so I tapered off the Cymbalta and waited for it to go away. Of course it didn't. So now I have POTS (the electrophysiologist says the Cymbalta couldn't have triggered it, although I'm skeptical) and an underlying atrial tachycardia. I'm back on Cymbalta these days - too valuable to stop given that symptoms continued without it - and the spaciness is a tiny bit worse, but the pain is a lot better. I don't regret taking it in the first place - having my pain improve that much was a big win - but I am a bit irked :^)

Sylvan, some of what you said sounded familiar You mentioned how experiencing heat stroke left you with continued sensitivity to the heat afterwards, well that is no suprisre to me because in my case increased temperatures and hyperthermia was one of the major causes that damaged my autonomic nervous system and resulted in POTS and left me with ongoing fevers and intolerance to heat for 11 years now.

My POTS was caused by my own wreckless and stupid behaviour...when I was younger I used to go to rave party's and take recreational drugs like ecstacy and amphetamines which often caused me to become very hot and dehydrated from dancing for many hours. One night I had a drug overdose which increased my temperature to a near fatal level, my entire body felt like it was on fire and I was burning up and so overheated that I immediately ran for the cold shower and sat under there waiting for the paramedics. They placed me in an ice bath in hospital to reduce my temperature and even though that saved my life it was still not enough to prevent the brain damage I suffered from the amount of high heat my brain was exposed to.

When I left the hospital I was no longer the same person and had developed all these new symptoms as a result of the damage to my Autonomic nervous System. I have been overheating for the past 11 years since that day so when you mention how experiencing heatstroke leaves you sensitive to heat I know exactly what you mean. Like with me my neurologist says I have one of the worst cases of heat intolerance they have ever heard of in someone with POTS, and the reason for that is because of how the hyperthermia and the toxic effects of the drug overdose damaged areas like the hypothalamus in the brain which controls body temperature.

In your case even though you weren't taking recreational drugs, the medication you took may have still contributed to some damage and the increased temperature resulted in further complications. A bad reaction to medication combined with heatstroke seems to be one of the potential factors in being able to cause POTS, as I experienced myself

Wow endure what a testimony.

Have you ever thought of speaking to young people about your experience with drugs and the effect it had on you.

We really don't realize how fragile our bodies are. I know I pushed myself right into a brick wall and now I'm paying for it.

The electrophysioligist also told me stress could not cause SVT but I see it listed under things that can potentially occur with anxiety and they used adrenaline to trigger my heart.

Tried several meds and could not get me going so??? Things are just so complex with the body I'm not sure how causing factors can be ruled out so easily.

Sylvan, some of what you said sounded familiar You mentioned how experiencing heat stroke left you with continued sensitivity to the heat afterwards, well that is no suprisre to me because in my case increased temperatures and hyperthermia was one of the major causes that damaged my autonomic nervous system and resulted in POTS and left me with ongoing fevers and intolerance to heat for 11 years now.

My POTS was caused by my own wreckless and stupid behaviour...when I was younger I used to go to rave party's and take recreational drugs like ecstacy and amphetamines which often caused me to become very hot and dehydrated from dancing for many hours. One night I had a drug overdose which increased my temperature to a near fatal level, my entire body felt like it was on fire and I was burning up and so overheated that I immedeatly ran for the cold shower and sat under there waiting for the paramedics. They placed me in an ice bath in hospital to reduce my temperature and even though that saved my life it was still not enough to prevent the brain damage I suffered from the amount of high heat my brain was exposed to.

When I left the hospital I was no longer the same person and had developed all these new symptoms as a result of the damage to my Autonomic nervous System. I have been overheating for the past 11 years since that day so when you mention how experiencing heatstroke leaves you sensitive to heat I know exactly what you mean. Like with me my neurologist says I have one of the worst cases of heat intolerance they have ever heard of in someone with POTS, and the reason for that is because of how the hyperthermia and the toxic effects of the drug overdose damaged areas like the hypothalamus in the brain which controls body temperature.

In your case even though you weren't taking recreational drugs, the medication you took may have still contributed to some damage and the increased temperature resulted in further complications. A bad reaction to medication combined with heatstroke seems to be one of the potential factors in being able to cause POTS, as I experienced myself

I too took E and coke when my POTS started.

Prescription drugs can be very toxic to the nervous system. Very often it is listed right there, "can cause neuropathy.." I only use them if there is no option. Only for UIT's etc. I also make sure I take supplements that heal the nerves.

Pres. med is very scary and they have to really be taken seriously. Too many people think they are safe and doctors have no other knowledge and want to give them for every symptom when there are safe ways to heal.

• 1 year later...

Depends on the damage. My mother-in-law took Celebrex despite warnings that it could cause a stroke. It did in her case and the damage was permanent. So, it depends on what it has done to the brain as to whether long term effects would be something one has to learn to live with or not.

Hopefully, whatever one has done In their youth - wouldn't have caused brain damage or vascular damage - but, I would think there could be a possibility.

Issie