Appt. Scheduled To Go To Birmingham

derekliz

Congratulations on the quick appointment!

Spend the rest of this week doing some basic preparation:

Type out a complete medical history: Birth weight through chickenpox to Mono or migraines all the way through now.

Get a copy of every test (if any) that has already been done.

Write out a complete current symptom list.

Make a list of all medications and dosages (nurses LOVE this one!)

The more organized you are, the better your doctor can go through things. I can't think of anything else now, too early.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks Firewatcher for the great advice. I have a binder (unfortunately) with all my records and notes so that goes with me to every doctors appointment. I get copies of EVERYTHING!!!

I am looking forward to the appointment and some answers and to talking to a doctor that will believe that my symptoms are real.

I will definately post after my appointment :)

Liz

Hi! I have been lurking here since my diagnosis in late April, but just joined the site. I had seen several doctors before seeing my third ENT who actually knew what was going on. He saw that my blood pressure could increase (172/110 at his office) just from me being nervous (which is what always happens at any doctors office), and that, with the dizziness and ear pressure led him to send me to Autonomic Disorders and Mitral Valve Prolapse Center here in Birmingham, acutally where I live. My ENT knew about Dysautonomia because he had published a research article about it (Dr. Pappas/Autonomic Related Vertigo).

I saw Dr. Phillips on April 28. I had the TTT, heart echo (laying and seated) and the stress test. I have a tiny amount of prolapse, but on the TTT the nurse said my blood pressure looked like I was about to fight for my life, and my pulse went up somewhere from the 80's to 129. I was soooo excited to have a diagnosis! At least 2 nurses at the practice have Dysautonomia, and Dr. Phillips is so nice and understanding. After my adventure with doctors who said I had ear problems, or migraines, and even seeing a therapist who told me I had anxiety from the dizziness, and addressing the dizziness would address the anxiety, I was so impressed with this practice. I was put on Zebeta (I take 1/4 daily) and Klonopin (1/2 of .5 nightly) I have felt much better. I even took my three kids on a 5 hour car trip to our beach house, which I would not have done in the 2-3 years prior to the diagnosis. I saw Dr. Phillips for a follow-up in late June, and we left the meds as is. I think compared to alot of people here I have a mild case of POTS, but it's enough to cause daily dizziness, but I don't have it much anymore. I still do have dizzy days, just not nearly as bad as in the past. My night sweats have stopped, racing heart is much better (would really only speed up when I went up stairs, or was up cleaning/moving alot), and that just strange indescrible dizziness is well under control. I could not believe this practice was here, and that I could have been helped sooner, oh well...at least I am better now.

You will first see a nurse, who will go over the paperwork/questionaire and ask general medical questions, then you change into a gown for all the testing. The whole appointment took about 2 hourse, with a diagnosis and meeting with Dr. Phillips at the end after all the testing. I hate doctors and they really put you at ease; after my tests I saw others coming in with the "deer in headlights" look and I wanted to say it's not nearly as bad as you make it up to be, and in the end hopefully you will get some answers and something that will help. Good luck.