Weak Muscles

Does anyone else experience weakness in your arms, hands, legs? This symptom began showing up a lot lately, especially in my arms. I don't know how to explain it - they just feel weird... but also weak and sometimes achy. An example, my son spilled some red Hawaiian Punch on our tan sofa :o so I went to clean it... I was scrubbing with lots of paper towels and I was having the most difficult time. It's like my muscles don't work well, tire easily, much less strength. I finally gave up and asked my husband to finish for me. What is this?? I feel like I have MS or something, but I know I don't. My hands feel weird and clumsy. Similar thing with my legs - getting up stairs and even walking sometimes can be a struggle like my legs weigh 1000 lbs. Do you guys get this- is it part of POTS?

Same here. On bad days lifting my arms or trying to walk is just exhausting. On good days, I still can't move a piece of furniture that I've moved for years to clean around. If I try to push it on good days, I've found it just causes several bad days after that.

Naomi- interesting that you mentioned the achy part of the weakness. I have that too. I tell my docs it's as though even lying down isn't restful enough for the muscles to relax because that achiness, with the muscle fatigue, just keeps going.

It's frustrating because when you mention weakness to the docs, they muscle test you and I always test just fine. But what none of them seem to get is that I'm functionally weaker than I was. Like you said, no endurance in the muscles, can't lift what I need to for my job, muscles "wear out" fast, etc. A one time muscle test is not going to show what I'm trying to describe.

Don't know if that's part of POTS. I know my cardio thought my description of the weakness I experience was "more than is normal with POTS" and wanted me to look into mitochondrial testing. That hasn't happened yet. But I am trying some of the mito supplements to see if they help.

My EMG is pretty normal, but when I did a Functional Capacity Eval (done by a PT to assess what type of work I could do) it showed that I was very weak. I was SO surprised! I did the exam on a day when I thought I was feeling fairly good. I do notice that when I'm more hydrated that the weakness isn't so bad, although there are some days when I have no control over the fatigue and weakness.

Chaos said "But what none of them seem to get is that I'm functionally weaker than I was. Like you said, no endurance in the muscles, can't lift what I need to for my job, muscles "wear out" fast, etc. A one time muscle test is not going to show what I'm trying to describe."

Yes, exactly! I've had neurologists do their little strength tests in the past- "push against my hand" etc. and according to them I'm fine. But I feel it in my everyday life. Even brushing my daughters hair last night, a struggle. Yet another frustrating symptom I can't prove. <_< Mitochondrial makes sense (forgot about that!). I reached out to a Mito Dr. - wrote him a letter and everything asking if I could see him... no response.

I also have this problem, I noticed it most when I brush my teeth its like I have to tell my muscles what to do, and they feel too tired to work. During these times I have checked my grip and push abilities and its very strong, so its not a true weakness in my case but I have been scrubbing something and had to give up because it was like the painful burning you get as if I was working out. So is that muscle fatigue? Mine isn't constant it comes and goes.I don't go to the doctor too much anymore I got fed up with getting the same answers " I don't know" or the look of OHH Boy something else...

Lissy

I also have a low level weakness in my arms and legs. I first noticed it when I got tired holding the blow dryer up to dry my hair, so I rarely dry my hair anymore.

I do get periods where it seems that they are really weaker than normal. I don't know why it happens, but I do remember that there are imbalances in the body that give other people weakness in their limbs, such as:

--Cushing's disease, with high cortisol, which ends up causing low potassium

--Hyperparathyroidism, with high calcium

--Hyperthyroidism

So, even though I don't think I have any of the above, I wonder if it is a transient electrolyte imbalance.

And, besides that, neck issues can cause limb weakness. I know alot of us have neck problems.

Yes I have this weakness too. This is the symptom that bothers me the most and it seems as if no one understands. Somedays I feel so weak that I can't hold my hands up long enough to wash my hair or stand up in the shower. I try to stay hydrated and that seems to help somedays but not all of the time.

I had an office job and couldn't keep my upper body stright up for 8 hours, and I'd get worn out holding my arms and hands up to type. Keep pushing for answers, limited muscle proformance like we have isn't right, and deserves more testing than just an EMG (my EMG's were all normal also) If doctors won't answer your letters, call their office. Don't let them blow off your symptoms.