Heat Sickness?

I know that the heat naturally is not our friend. However, my body is reacting a little strangely to this most recent rapid temperature increase. In the morning as it gets hotter and my body can't adjust, I spend the first 3-4 hours nauseous and throwing up. When I cool off, it stops. Anytime my body starts to get too hot, I am gagging and dry heaving. My doctor has advised me to take pepcid in the morning and night; however, it has yet to bring any relief. She indicated that if this doesn't stop then there is more testing to come - yeah!

Has anyone else experienced this type of reaction to the weather? Or have experience with what in the world is going on here? Needless to say, I am at the forcing myself to eat point because it is that uncomfortable.

Thanks in advance,

Elizabeth

I personally don't throw up (not even during two natural labours!), but the heat does bring on crippling fatigue, weakness and nausea. As soon as I get the slightest bit warm, the amount of time I can stand before blacking out diminishes rapidly. I do not spend any time outside, and we keep our air conditioning at 20C all the time. Have you tried any cooling devices? Just this week I received some wrist cooling packs that I ordered. I've yet to try them outside, but I'm hopeful they will be effective. The company also makes full cooling vests, as well as small ones that go across your stomach under your clothes.

I have actually noticed that besides the incessant vomiting, I do better in the heat than cold. Sudden heat brings on a crushing feeling in my chest, tachycardia and I can't breathe. But when it is just hot out, I am ok.

I always hated running the A/C in my house or car (it always gave me headaches). Part of me thinks that this may in the long run be helping me right now. But when I walk into a cold building and then step onto a different floor that is 20 degrees warmer, I react very poorly. This is the standard for my office building so I have purchased a portable unit for my cubicle.

Elizabeth, sorry you are feeling so poorly. It sounds like you may have a similar problem to me in that you can't cope with temperature changes. I (maybe like you) am much better once I have adjusted to warmer weather but last summer it took me nearly 3 months (all of spring) to adjust! Then in the heat of summer I was the best I'd been for several months. The same thing happened the previous summer. Cooling vests have helped me tremendously when going from a cooler to a warmer environment. I will keep it on until I start to feel cold, then can sometimes take it off.

Frugalmama where did you purchase your cooling packs from? My cooling vest is really effective but looks pretty daggy. I'm thinking of sewing my own cooling vest and buying the cooling packs separately. Unfortunately CoolSport has not been helpful to me and hasn't responded to two emails I sent them (I live outside the US).

I wonder if that is what is happening to me, with the sudden temp change. Last year right after I was diagnosed, I actually felt better and it was summer. But we recently had a hot spell and it was muggy to boot. And I've been feeling terrible. Maybe it's just the sudden change and I'll adjust. Thanks for mentioning that; now I am hopeful. I am always so afraid of relapsing.

Lizababy,

I have similar problem. I don't work well either with cold or warm weather, but I do stand better the warm days. Still I can get nausea and fatigue feelings, not even to speak about presyncope.. Our a/c is also on 20-25C, but I can't stand it for long because I get headaches, even I'm not on the direct path of the flowing air. Weird.

The heat is killing me here in Kentucky! My husband is landscaping our yard and we went looking at bushes on Saturday afternoon. Since then, my heart rate skyrockets if I'm even in a sitting position and it takes forever for my hr to calm down when I lie down. I just feel that I'm breathing hard all the time. As a result, I am extremely tired and sleeping a lot. Last night, I slept for 17 straight hours and woke up only because my husband was afraid I was in a coma! I, too, have felt nauseous and taking my medications have been a struggle. When will this heat end!!

Hi Lizababy,

My body does not react to heat well either, however my symptoms are not as severe as yours. I get extremely weak, dizzy and nauseous however I have never actually thrown up. My body also goes into a hibernation type mode where I sleep for up to 20 hours. I live in Jacksonville, FL and although I'm not on any medicine for this, I have learned how to adjust to it. I drink lots and lots of Gatorade before during and after any trip to the beach/pool/etc., I eat lots of salty foods and peppermints (If I feel I'm getting nauseous I pop one or two peppermints and my nausea will usually subside.), I bring a cooler filled with cold wash cloths and ice packs to put on the back of my neck if I feel I'm getting overheated and one of the most helpful tricks is a heat resistant umbrella. This home remedy doesn't give me complete relief... but it does help greatly!

These are just a few tricks for you to try and if they don't help I hope that you can find something to give you some relief soon! (Smile)

Amanda

Standfirm,

Thank you so much for mentioning the cold washcloths. I had forgotten all about that! DUH. Should have used some the other day when it was 93 in the shade. My old Jazzercise instructor used to bring those to class when it was really hot. They were heavenly.

Standfirm, I do drink A LOT of electrolyte water. I actually prefer it over the gatorade. Gatorade seems to make me feel worse (my guess if the sweetness). Instead of peppermints, I pop a Halls Breezer. These are just pectin drops. Normally, I just suck on them to combat dry mouth because otherwise I am drinking more than 5L of water a day. It has gotten to the point where the only time I am not gagging or dry heaving is when I am sucking on a Breezer.

I am no longer convinced that this is related to the heat though. Yesterday, it barely reached 70 degrees here and I was sick all day long.

@dani, I have thought about the same thing! The crazy wild changes in the midwest drive my body crazy. I may just be time to move to the place where it only goes above 78 an average of 28 days/year :-)