Do POTS symptoms increase during period?

amb

I tried looking at past posts but I didn't find any on this topic. Please excuse me if this has already been discussed.

Has any one noticed if their symptoms increase during their period? I seem to notice that the fatigue, dizziness and general weakness are increased right before and during my periods. I also end up sleeping much more than normal during my period, but I have sleep apnea, so I don't know if periods or hormones affect that prolbem. I know that a decrease in blood volume makes POTS worse and if you are having your period, wouldn't your blood volume drop? Maybe not by much but how much decrease in volume is enough to make a difference? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ann

Yes, I am definitely worse during my period. I sometimes feel bad a few days leading up (pms-time) and even during ovulation. I know there are some people out there who are experimenting with not having a period.

I definitely get more fatigued, light-headed and just feel generally icky during that time. You're not alone ;)

absolutely I am more symptomatic just before and during my period--in fact, I can't ususally tell if my period is going to be earlier than I expected simply by my tachy and dizzies.

Nina

Oh, I am definitely worse during that time of the month!! It starts a few days before my period and lasts until a day or two after. I sleep ALL the time during that week and feel more symptomatic in general. You are definitely not alone!! I hope that soon we will have more info about this and will have something available to help, because it's not fun!! I am breastfeeding my son, for many reasons, but one of the perks is that *supposedly* when you are nursing, you don't get a period, which I thought would be good for me, but to my dismay mine returned when he was four months old, uugghhhh!! So much for that idea!!

I definitely feel worst as well like the rest of the women on this forum. My one doctor just told me to get use to it. It is the one week in the month I can't do anything to help my symptoms. I know that I will feel horrible that whole week and I believe I have come to accept it. ;) I must add since I have been on the pill it is not as bad as what it use to be. But this however does not suppress the symptoms, just the pain, flow, duration and moodiness. :)

Yes I am definitely worse with all my symptoms. I can predict when I'm ovulating by major palpitations and predict the onset of my period because of significant increase in chest pressure. I also have increased dizziness, anxiety, light-headedness and fatigue. Probably more, but I can't think right now. Oh yes, major PMS, brain fog greatly worsened, some usually mild depression. It is NOT fun.

I'm new at this , just completed research testing at W.V.U hospital using a new approach to relieve pots symptoms. I found it VERY helpful! The affect of my period is so profound on my condition that my Dr. wouldn't test me during that time. He says it's definite that periods worsen symptoms. In case anyone is wondering the drug is called octreotide and is injections. It's normally given for gastro-intestinal tumors but is very helpful in helping control my standing heart rate! I now have at least 2-3 good weeks a month! ;) I'm happy to share this info. further with anyone who is interested!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Ann

Everything you said is true. I get extremelly exhausted right before my period starts, probably sleep nearly two days straight and have overall fatigue for about 10 days every month that is worse with my period.

Since I've been getting epogen injections with a blood count every week. They have noticed that I usually loose about a unit of blood with my menstrual cycle. This makes my hypotension worse, nausea, dizziness, etc.

You don't know how happy this posting has made my wife. She has extreme hardships before, during and just after her cycle. She mentioned this to her doctors at Mayo and had been mentioning it to her electrophysiologist for quite some time. Mayo had indicated that problems with her cycle were unrelated to her other conditions (but not sure if he meant just cardio or was referring to the POTS as well). She was very happy to hear she is not alone in this area.