Aldosterone Pretty Low

I just got new labs by my fibro doctor and I asked him to throw in aldosterone just for giggles. AM fasting result is 4, with a reference range of < or = 28. Seems pretty dismal to me. Is it good or bad to be low? Anybody familiar with the ranges and when docs decide to use Florinef? My a.m. BP runs around 90/60 and rises about 10 pts when I get hydrated.

Aldosterone is affected by salt intake, so it's hard to know exactly what that means unless you were salt fasting. If you were loading on the salt and eating salty foods the day before this test, then I don't know how to interpret it. It's normal for aldosterone to be low under those types of conditions. Renin is another thing you can check too.

When mine was checked a few years ago, mine was 3 with the same range as yours. My endo didn't bat an eye at the result, and I didn't know any better at the time. I later thought it was kind of low.

My b/p, on the other hand, is normal 115/78, and then rises when I stand. I'm thinking they might be afraid it will make my b/p rise even more. BUT, I wonder if maybe it would stay put if I was able to hold onto more fluid. :huh:

I would like to add that my renin was right in the middle--normal. I don't know if that is really "normal" or not. At the time of testing, I was on a plain, normal diet. No salt loading, no salt fasting.

The day before, I was drinking my usual 2L water/1 tsp salt. Addison's was ruled out long ago because I have a very high cortisol level. Certainly explains the insomnia. I actually suspected Addison's when I was at my worst because I had every other symptom so it's a good question. Of course, I don't have Cushing's either. I feel like I just don't fit in anywhere! :huh: I have never had renin tested and I didn't think of it before the recent labs were done. I'll ask my fibro doctor what he thinks about it at my follow up in May.

If you can get the test ordered again you need to totally fast salt of all types for 24 hours prior to the test.

It should also be tested no later than 8AM just like Cortisol and you should be up and around for 2 to 3 hours before your blood is drawn.

The lab should have an upright and supine range result.

If you have it tested again and it is still only 4 when fasting all salt and sodium, then yes it is low. Renin is usually ordered at the same time.

So far I've seen 5 Endocrinologists who haven't batted an eye at the low levels I've had. Luckily my Cardiologist put me on Florinef for the Dysautonomia.

I have found that even though a lot of us have low aldosterone replacing that hormone with Florinef does not help with the POTS. I know some people get some benefit from it, but if that was the cause of our issues, then florinef would be our "cure". I've got all the way up to 2 tabs (0.2mg) and it does nothing for the heart rates and heat intolerance.

its good because if you have POTS that would be one of the simplest pathophysiologies to remedy.