Caffeine Blocks Adenosine, Boosts Dopamine, Constricts

Hmm, this is really interesting - alcohol is also an adenosine reuptake inhibitor. As are tricyclics and Indomethacin (which the migraine neuro talked about and is also on the helps with POTS list).

Thanks to Rama for the heads up on Wild Lettuce and Valerian. I need to start taking notes on all these herbs - this is gold.

Very interesting and helpful indeed!

I wonder how wild lettuce and valerian differ in their actions... i find i have a paraoxial reaction occasionally to valerian. havent decided yet if it is another normal odd reaction or ... what... more research to do...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I react that way to Valerian too - paradox. I have the same reaction to Valium. The two are very similar in the way they work.

I read that Valerian isn't a direct adenosine agonist but a inverse agonist and works like caffeine does. It mostly works on the GABA receptors, instead of the adenosine receptors and that is why there can be a paradox reaction to it and can be stimulationg to some. But the wild lettuce appears to be an adenosine agonist.

Issie

i dont think that anyone got pots from being allergic to anything. the allergies and intolerance to certain foods or whatever comes individually from whatever is causing the pots.

If you are referring to issues with MCAS and there being a connection in SOME with POTS. MCAS isn't a true allergy. No one really knows what triggers mast cells into degranulating. Some can figure triggers out and it can be sensitivities --but, not true allergies. It's when the mast cells degranulate and dump their substances too fast and at a higher rate that the problem comes in. It can very well be a PART of the problem with POTS. I don't think it is the whole answer - by any means. But, could be a very important part of the puzzle. Many with MCAS issue - have no reaction to an allergy test per se. But, they will, nonetheless, react as if they are so allergic that an epi pen is required.

Issie

I react that way to Valerian too - paradox. I have the same reaction to Valium. The two are very similar in the way they work. I read that Valerian isn't a direct adenosine agonist but a inverse agonist and works like caffeine does. It mostly works on the GABA receptors, instead of the adenosine receptors and that is why there can be a paradox reaction to it and can be stimulationg to some. But the wild lettuce appears to be an adenosine agonist. Issie

very interesting, thank you.

I quit coffee in the wake of a panic attack i had when i didnt eat breakfast. That convinced me.

Apparently the stuff goes right into your blood, and not only makes you tachy but triggers adrenaline and histamine release??

simply not worth it. I wont lie, it was 2 weeks before i stopped craving it, so not really that bad.

Hey Issie, I wasn't referring to mcas. I def think there is a connection there with pots as well as autoantibodies. I was referring back to the fight about coffee being poisen.....as well as gluten free, other such diets, alchohol free etc. It's different for everyone because I think whatever is causing the pots effects our bodies in similar but different ways. I mean, most of us have the same symptoms albeit the different subgroups (high vs low blood pressure) but different theories on relief. I started the zyrtec and claratin 2 months ago and after a week I started noticing feeling slightly better. I'm going to give allegra and pepcid a shot now. I brought up mass cell to my neuro but all he said was that it is really hard to test for and left it at that. (I think he is irked because I wont try another beta blocker after my failure with propoponol) When I get some extra cash I am also going to purchase motherswort as you mentioned it helps you and has natural beta blocker effects... and I have heard the same from others with hyperpots. I am also gluten free for 5 months now but didn't notice any relief doing that. Sometimes I can drink coffee, sometimes I can't. Wine usually bothers my tummy but vodka doesn't. I don't notice a difference between gatorade or lotsa water. I started easy yoga since mostly floor exercises cause I can't stand up and work out like some can. That seems to be helping but I think it also has to do with focusing on breath which calms the nervous system plus strenghtening core/leg/spine muscles.