PARANOID!!

Sue

I can't believe how paranoid this situation has made me. I was so sick at the beginning of this year I thought I would never have to go there again. Its been awhile since I have had a "major attack" I have mini's all the time, those I can handle the big ones I can't anymore.

I have really just started to try and live my life as normal as I can. My daughter and I went to Pennys to pick up a warm up suit for her, we were in the store for apx. 10-15 minutes we were standing in line and here it comes. Instantly overwhelmed with heat, sweating bullets, head starts pounding, heart wasn't too bad, but balance completely gone. I feel like I am trying to get on a boat in major waves. Color completely gone, instantly I started crying. I just don't want to go back there again.... My daughter got me home and I felt bad for hours. I probley slept 20 hours. Today well I'm still tired but completely paranoid and freaked out!!!! Like I said I can handle the little dizzies here and there, those I am use to, still don't like but manageable.

Do you guys panic like this or am I just being paranoid about crashing again. Its 2:00 and I'm still in my pj's sucking down gatorade and chips!! my husband told me to just relax a couple of days. but I don't want to make myself relapse!!!!

Any suggestions?? HELP!!!

thanks

Sue

Sue,

I can empathize with you in dealing with the mini epsiodes, but always fearful of where the bigger episodes might lead to...as in a big crash. However, I would take your hubby's advice and take it real easy for a few days, take preventative measures like fluid and salt loading, meditation, etc. -- whatever it takes to prevent a possible crash. It might be that, like so many of us, you just pushed yourself a little too much during the holiday season and tried to do too much. You may not experience any more of the major symptoms like you did at the store, so don't panic - just think positive healthy thoughts. Maybe it's just your body's way of saying, hey slow down and rest for a bit. Listen to your body and your hubby and take a respite from all of the holiday hullaballoo! :)

Sue,

I don't think you are paranoid. At Mayo they gave me a really good explanation of POTS. They said that I would continue to improve over time, but that I should also expect to have setbacks from time to time too, which could be triggered by overexertions, hormones, or no reason at all. They said it is just a normal part of POTS, and it didn't mean that I was regressing back to my worst.

The best thing to do during these times is to take it as easy, just as you are doing. You should sit up or walk around a little bit in your home if you are able to. But get loads of rest and hopefully it will pass soon.

Feel better soon,

Rita

Great advice from the first two posters. My doctor has said the same thing. Expect flare-ups and set-backs, but keep in mind that you are likely to continue overall to improve with time. It's good that you know what things you can do (salt, electrolytes, fluids, rest) to improve your symptoms. I would just suggest that you keep doing what you're doing! I know how scary it is when you start to feel worse--you do wonder if you are ever going to get better. It's hard.

Katherine

I can sympathize with you. I have just recently had a flare (same symptoms) except I was driving somewhere at the time. I never thought I would make it back home. I am really afraid I am going to get worse.

I have had extreme anxiety and depression because I don't want to feel like I did last year at this time when I had a recurrance. Hang in there. Email me anytime.

Diane

• 2 weeks later...

First never leave hpme without water!!!! When you feel like your goin to kiss the floor, rise on rour toes contract your calfs,quads abdomen and stretch your upper bodu---no hands over head and take deep breath. We often can panic in situations where there are alot of people, also take off extra clothing as soon as you enter the mall, so you won't overheat!!

Guest tearose

I find having my seat cane helps. I can sit and bring myself back into balance when sitting on the floor may have made me feel more obvious...does sitting help Sue?

How are you doing?

I also ask myself: Is what I am feeling real or is it my chemicals doing things...

You are not paranoid Sue, so take that program out of your mind and try talking yourself through this spell.

Tell yourself that you can hold on...keep your edge...give it a try.

hugs, tearose