I'm Changing Beta Blockers This Coming Weekend - And Have Freaked Myself Out!

iheartcats

I am switching from Propranonol (which I like and has helped) to Metoprolol. My allergies have been worse and Metoprolol is tolerated better in people with allergies that could lead to asthma.

Apparently Metoprolol is a 'selective' Beta Blocker that acts mostly on the heart rather than heart and lungs, so in the end I know this will be a good move for me. But I'm so scared. I was told the adjustment period could be a few weeks, and that my dose may need adjusted, etc. and I just have to try it and work it out.

But I'm still frantic. I hate switching medications (as do many of you). Has anyone switched their Beta Blocker before? And does anyone use Metoprolol?

Metoprolol ER here! I take 50 MG. Between that and exercise have lowered my HR by 30-40 bpm from 120-130 to 90-110 sitting/resting(the first 20-30 happened on 25 mg). I still have higher heart rates when standing, but they improved too. Prior to metoprolol I never had a heart rate under 100bpm after I sat up in bed for the day. Midodrene has lowered it an additional 10-20 bpm. I did have a real small 1 time weight gain with it (between 3-5 pounds). Other than that, no problems.

I'm on the Metoprolol too. No bad side effects that I have figured out yet. I take 12.5 mg once a day in the morning. Sometimes I think it could do a bit better lowering my heart rate but it has prevented the higher spikes in heart rate for the most part. It did lower my bp significantly but that wasn't a good thing for me since I have low bp to start with. But overall, I think it's a good medication for me.

Metoprolol is really good for me if I take it sporadically. I cannot take it on a daily basis though as it tends to lower blood circulation and I develop chilblains on my toes which are excruciating. I was unable to wear shoes of any type when they were at their worse. I was on it for 4 or 5 months until these bad side effects started to show up.

During the summer it did not do much for my standing HR's and the heat intolerance was just as bad as ever. Because of all those factors, I discontinued using it.

Hi. I wouldn't worry about this too much. Beta blockers are out of your system within 24 hrs. It is not llike florinef, birth control or SSRIs where it takes weeks or months for your body to adjust. So if it doesn't work after a couple of days, you can go back to your old BB and it shouldn't mess with your system too much.

Hello everyone!

I am now starting my new Beta Blocker next Saturday...the reason is because my Midodrine changed generics on me. (They are in short supply so you get what you can get...). I'm adjusting to that this weekend and it is about the same, but slightly weaker.

So the new Beta Blocker is next week. I want to take it, really, because it's safer for me, but I just couldn't handle two switches in one weekend as I'm sure you can all understand!

I'm glad to see Metoporol works for so many people. That has eased my anxiety.