Disability Hearing Tomorrow

icesktr189

My disability case is going pretty good. I have traded cardiologists to a new one I really like. He is very knowledgable about POTS. Only problem is that he seems to believe that because I am 21 I WILL grow out of it. Dont get me wrong, that would be a miracle to and I would gladly hope for it. HOwever, I have had POTS for 3 plus years and it seems to be getting worse. My parents do not support me, and I have a daughter to support finacially. We are at the point where I need to either start working or make some kind of income.

I cannot work. let alone drive a car. I just dont want him to come out and say I will out grow this because he cant be positive I will. I know there are a few that do, but I also know there are many who never out grow POTS, even when they came down with it at a young age. Any advise?

Good Luck - What will be will be - and you can always appeal .... Just because your POTS is likely to dissappear sometime down the road as for people it does often enough - doesn't seem to be any reason to deny you benefits now when you do have it. Documentation the way I understand it merely has to show that you expect to be disabled for a years time. It doesn't mean you have to have been off work for a year - or that you have to be off for a year - just that it is expected to last a year or more. Then when it's granted - SS can take care of following up with you as to you doing better, staying the same and or getting worse -- the cases are reviewed by SS in different time frames based on your situation.

Some folks will apply immediately as soon as they understand they cannot work as they usually do --- they stop working and get the ball rolling. Their advantage to doing this is that their SS benefit will be based on the monies they made while working in recent years to the opening of the case. Others that slow work to a dribble and make less and less for years - will then have less of a base to work from for SS to calculate their benefit. I'm not an expert but this is what I've read.

Much of the time your doctors documentation - looked at by social security can be plenty informative and give them the gist of what's been going on the last few years in your medical record(s)....Since POTS vitals and numbers can be so shocking compared to normal vitals and such - I would surely hope your case is awarded you on the first try! Your records also will likely reveal any other concommitant things in your health history as well...SS looks at the big picture - all of it... Again the future is the future and no one can know or control the course of your POTS fully ... but if the fact is you are disabled from working full time - then you are - end of story. You can work part time a wee bit even when on SS.... & even take a try at full time work once you are feeling fully well for a bit of time.... I trust it will all work out as it's supposed to...hang in there!

Good luck - keep smilin' :-)

They won't base their decision on what MAY happen with your health years down the road. I'd had POTS for just over 3 years at the time of my hearing and was approved, but will have to be re-assessed in 2 years. This is normal with a younger person who cannot obviously work now. Unless there's proof that you'll pass away in the next few years, they'll most likely approve you but have you re-assessed in 2 years.

Best of luck--stay calm and answer the questions honestly like said earlier. Do you have a SS lawyer? Chances are, if you do, you'll sail through the proceedings. I've been on SSD since 1997 (for rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia) and receive a letter every five years or so asking when the last three doctors appointments were and for what. I get a letter back saying nothing else is required and my benefits continue. I've never had to send in any medical records or other proof of disability since '97. Now that I have POTS (at age 58 no less) I can't imagine ever losing the benefit. I can hardly get out of bed now! BTW--Another thing SS does is it sends you notices every once in awhile telling you that you can work up and make up to $400/month without penalty. They also encourage people to try working again, and if you can't do it you won't lose benefits. Again, best of luck, it's stressful but worth it especially when we can't function let alone work.

Dani,

I'm sending positive thoughts your way! Do you have a lawyer? I know that really helped me out when I went to court. I was approved for three years during my court session, at which time I will need to do a re-assessment. I also get assistance from my long-term disability from my job, which was with the county, and I have to re-apply every year for that. Just think positive thoughts, and if things don't go your way, you can always appeal.

Good luck and let us know!

Jana

- If you ever need someone to chat with, I'm close by and get up to Phoenix moderately often....

Thank you everyone! They want me to see an appointed cardiologist so hopefully in a month or so. *fingers crossed*

Dani-

We will all be pulling for you. So many of us have seen docs who did not know the extent of what we go through, I'd suggest keeping a journal of your daily activities during this period leading up to your appt. If you remember Simmy videotaped a bad episode and that made all the difference in his application.