chronic nausea with orthostatic problems

sally

<_< hello to everyone, I'm new to this forum. My daughters including myself have orthostatic intolerance problems. My daughters also have been dx'd with Ehlers danlos along with their dx of NMH. I was glad to find this forum, it answers alot of questions that come up with this problem. My oldest has chronic nausea that has gotten better since starting midodrine but still has it flare up. Any one else out there with terrible nausea from their blood pressure problem? any replies much appreciated and thank you for your time.

Nausea has been my most persistent daily problem... I've grown used to having a low level of it daily, so really it only bothers me now when it's intense or accompanied by GI spasms. GI functions are regulated by the autonomic nervous system, so nausea tends to be a common symptom with us folks.

Welcome to the board, BTW. I also have a DX of Ehlers-Danlos III and NMH/POTS (NMH and NCS pretty much mean the same thing).

Nina <_<

I have also leanred to live with this chronic problem, mine comes and goes, but I definitely have a higher tolerance to it than a normal person would, since I experience some degree of nausea almost daily. I also have multiple food intolerances associated with the POTS, so if I don't watch my diet I really feel awful. Have you or your daughter ever been tested? It surely wouldn't hurt- it literally saved me- everyone thought I was anorexic for about wo years because I could not eat a thing...now I only have major tummy troubles once in a while. The Pro-Amatine helps me as well, all around I just feel better when I'm taking it.

My doctor sent some of my blood work to http://www.betterhealthusa.com/ for some iGg or IGe I can't recall which -- food sensistivity panels. It was a big help and I have been on a modified diet for at least two years now. (p.s. I don't think this helped with the nausea at all, but it did help get some of my strength back and I think I felt less sick after meals, once I learned what I could eat and how often.)

As for nausea, I also go through really bad spells with this. Mornings tend to be the worse. What helps? Let me think ... foot massage, drinking lots of water before I get out of bed, chamomile tea or sometimes peppermint tea.

Good luck in your journey. I know it is hard when these things run in our family but it is wonderful to have the validation and support from those closest to you.

Good thoughts your way,

EM

I also had a food sensitivity panel performed by an allergist- just a simple blood draw. And recently I also had a blood test run for Celiac Disease/Gluten Sensitivity, which helped a lot as well. Modifying my diet has improved my quality of life, and it helps to know what foods your body can't tolerate...I was sick to my stoamch 24/7 for about 7 years before they finally did the tests- I only wish I'd known to ask for them sooner!!

:) thanks to all for your replies. I was curious on this subject because not many of the doctors she's seen is aware of the problem associated with blood pressure. and we went through alot of doctors before finding out about this problem. It really helps comparing notes with others with this problem as we always feel like such oddballs among healthy people who don't understand why feel so badly. Thanks again

i used to have a lot of nausea as part of this illness, but it's tapered off somewhat.

things that helped me were ginger (either tea or candied ginger) and eating smaller meals. you can also learn pressure point massage to do on certain points of your hands/wrists/legs that relieve nausea and other GI problems. i found it made a bit of a difference.

and on a purely hypothetical note--for really bad, chronic nausea, one can't do better than marijuana (if one were so inclined). it's a very good anti-nauseant (not to mention an anti-inflammatory, a pain reliever and a bronchial dilator).

just fyi.

Ok...now I know this website was once called POTS Place, but I really didn't mean that literally! :)

(You didn't think I was going to let you get away with that one without teasing you just a little, now did you....?) :D

Michelle