HAPPY HANNUKAH!!!!

DancingLight

HAPPY HANNUKAH!!!!

i just wanted to wish my fellow jewish friends on this board a very blessed holiday...

and that lighting the candles will remind you, if you are going through a potshole right now, that there is always light to be found in the darkness...even if it is just a teeny-tiny bit!

also, has anyone noticed that there are a lot of jewish folks on this board??? hmmm....i've never met so many jewish people in my life! i'm not kidding!

but, then again, i don't exactly live somewhere overflowing with a jewish population. still, it is curious to me the number of us jewish POTsies with cervical/spinal issues.

guess what? time for dinner! :) later alligators!

emily

Guest tearose

Thank you and back at you! May the glistening lights warm your home and heart.

I enjoy this holiday, we make a big deal of Chanukah.

I made latkes tonight. My house smells like a old fashioned greasy diner!

We celebrate 9 nights. We have one extra special night we call shammas night to honor the "worker candle". Good thing I have eight more nights to pull it together!

shalom, tearose

You made latkes????!!!!????? Good girl!!!!!!! Where do you live? I'll be right over with sour cream and salt! You must be feeling a little better tonight... even with a Cuisinart, that's serious effort ... standing there watchin' em fry... See what love can do???

I made popcorn, lit the candles, and watched a couple old Seinfelds from the first season--a b-day gift (DVD) from my hubby. My house smells like burned popcorn. Ick. :)

Guest tearose

Emily as I think about it, actually, you do tend to sign off either because you have to eat or sleep. So what is your favorite thing to bake or cook for the holidays? I have a simple way to turn a rectangle cake into a dreidle shape cake...turn the baked, cooled cake lengthwise and call the top north and bottom south. Cut off two corners from the south so you get two 3" triangles, bring them together to form a small rectangle and put them at the straight north edge to form the little spinning top of the dreidle. Use icing to keep everything together!

Shammas Night started because we looked forward to all the candles burning on the last night, it was always so beautiful to see the full lit menorah...I had to come up with a legitimate reason to light the menorah one more night to again enjoy it's beauty. Appreciating hard work, I understood how hard the worker candle worked and thought besides just being elevated in the menorah, it deserved a night of seeing the fruits of its' own labor! Shammas Night was born!

Merrill, I made applesauce (no sugar) and would welcome you with or without sour cream! I did use a food processor and the secret to all the hard labor is sitting on a tall stool when in the kitchen at the stove or sink! Sorry you burned the popcorn. How did you manage that? What is the link to the holiday or do you guys just like popcorn? Maybe a good gift idea for you is a tall stool for your kitchen?

Talk to you later, tearose

The trick to making burned popcorn, see, is to set the pot back down on the still-hot electric burner while you reach for the bowl and salt, which you neglect to take down from the cupboard before you begin! It's easy!

I didn't have the energy for latkes tonight, and all you need to honor the holiday (in the kitchen) is some oil and something to fry ... So I figured the olive oil (which makes the best popcorn, by the way) would kind of fry up the little kernals before they popped open!

I do have kitchen stools, which I use when I wash/chop veggies ... but they're not tall enough to work over the stove. I need some perspective there, some height...and the hip action is so important for making popcorn--doncha think? :):):)

BTW, the Chanukah game in our family has always been that you "bet" on the candle that stays lit the longest. No prizes--only satisfaction. It's especially fun on those close calls, where you have to turn off the lights to watch the dwindling flames and look for smoke rising from the menorah to see which candle held out the longest. Try it; you'll like it!

(Tea--Love the dradle cake idea! That's terrific!)

Happy Hannukah to everyone. What is your latke recipe? Mine is always too watery? My youngest son ( 9 yo-the only one at home) wants a surprise gift tonight. He has picked out some of his gifts this past month so he knows a little what is coming. It has just been easier to do this as I have great trouble shopping by myself. I must go buy my chicken soon for tonight. Martha

I don't have my recipe at work (maybe Tearose can share hers) but I can tell you that potatoes release a LOT of water when they're grated (you've obviously figured that out already! :) ) ... I usually let my grated potatoes/onions sit for a while--like maybe 1/2 hour (?) before adding the egg & matzoh meal ... and then I squeeze the water out & pour it down the drain. No worries when the potatoes turn brown; it's just the starch. Some people like to rinse it off... and now I can't remember which way makes fluffier pancakes--with starch or without! But draining and squeezing the water out of the potatoes helps--as does forming them by hand before you put them in the oil and giving a good squeeze to get out even more juice. Frozen ones are good too! That's what I've been eating lately ...

Guest tearose

oops, missed that recipe question, sorry Martha! Less starch is best in latkes. After you grate the potatoes, drain them really well. (use a food processor and then you don't even have to peel them) I use flour, salt, egg and if the mixture gets watery during the frying, drain it off and add a bit more flour. Use 1 egg, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/3 cup flour for every pound of potatoes. The secret to crispy pancakes is letting them really cook until they get medium-dark golden brown, not light golden brown.

As far as spelling Hanukah, Hanukkah or Chanukah...since they are translations, there are different ways of sounding out and spelling based upon the historic background of the family.

M, my menorah is electric and I use microwave popcorn! Only kidding, thanks for the game idea!

I just want to wish all people, sustained health, peace and joy and say I hope the day will come when we live without seeing the differences but the similarities in all.

heartfelt, tearose

Happy Chanukkah! I made myself latkes last night too. Mine were a little too dense because I used oat flour and it caked up. They tasted right though, so that is the important part. I only made enough for one person and I used a stool. It actually only took about 2 mintues to grate the two small potatos. I have an electric menorah for the first time in my life this year because I was afraid my kitten would kill us. I could not take it, it just did not feel like Chanukkah, so I bought a very cheap, sort of ugly 'brass menorah' and I lit candles! Mmm, I love the chocolate gelt and the yummy latkes with applesauce. I will have to make them again.

Jews make up a widely disproportionate amount of patients with familial dysautonomia (the congenital one that kills children by the age of 5. It is different from ours). It is a curious thing. I had been told by a doctor that there are a disproportionate number of Jews with POTS too, but I am not sure that is really the case. You have to think about where the Jews live and where the good POTS docs are. Then, think about other population trends, etc.

Anyway, Happy Holidays again! dreidl, dreidl, dreidl...

-Leah

leah, i have wondered about that too...jews/pots, etc. and what variables play into the number of us on this site...

anyway...

we are having our latkes tonight! yeah! we are trying to be healthy...mom found a recipe for baking them instead of frying them. it is a lot less work too. we'll see...

i'm off to eat them now! ;)

emily

I love the idea of "Shamas Night"! Here's a link to a fun, little Chanukah ditty (for lack of a better word). Be sure to have your audio on while watching it. (Please cut and paste the link and enjoy!)

http://home.nc.rr.com/keehyun/stuff/jew-heyya.html

Happy Chanukah!

Bren

Hey Steph, I am around and thinking of you! :)

Latkes must be potatoe pancakes...oooh that sounds good. I have been craving those for a long time. Maybe I can get my husband or kids to help with making them. I love my stool in the kitchen. My daughter with POTS uses one too.

As far as seeing people for there difference...I love peoples differences. I appreciate people differences and embrace them, it adds spice to life.What I feel the problem is is when we judge those differences! We all need to accept one another for who they are!

Happy Holidays

Dawn