Weird Coldness In Legs

My feet are usually freezing most of the day.....even while they sweat! I imagine it is like having slugs in my shoes, all cold, wet and slimy! :P My hands do this too. My neurologist pulled an intern in once to feel the temperature difference between my hands and forearm. Nasty, but normal for many of us. I even have both my hands and feet "go to sleep" when I walk and sometimes when I exercise. I wear socks to bed so that I don't shock my hubby in the middle of the night with my icy feet. Nothing ruins a warm snuggle like two cold, sweaty feet!

My doctor would say that it's caused by neuropathy. I have hot feet/calves off and on, extreme, chronic pain in my right hand and other places, and he thinks it's mainly a neuro issue. I'm going to Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix Monday. Hope they find something that can help! I'd mention this to your doctor, though.

I have to add to what kujiforo said. I often hear many of us reporting that they no longer sweat when they should. Like you though, I too used to never sweat, even in sweltering attics where I'd work for hours at a time. Since becoming ill however, I sweat up a river from the slightest temperature increase, and at other times for no apparent reason. I guess it all has to do with our screwed up thermoregulation, one way or the other.

I typically have icy feet and lower legs. I have always had cold feet in the winter (even during childhood) but my feet are pretty much consistently cold post-POTS. No idea what causes this, but I don't pool in my legs. I think it could be due to excessive capillary constriction do to hyperadrgenic POTS-- as suggested by a cardio, but this cardio really wasn't very impressive. I otherwise have strong pulses and circulation in the major vessels in my feet and legs.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course they do!

Either your sympathetic system is over-reacting to normal orthostatic stress by using too much norepinephrine or epinephrine to vasoconstrict your lower extremities or your body is using epinephrine to vasoconstrict this region due to faulty norepinephrine/alpha 1 or serotonin-mediated vasoconstriction.