Ssdi In Delaware

Has anyone applied for disability in Delaware? If so I'd love to pm... i've read that it's one of the toughest states, and i'm just starting the process.

Thanks,

dizzyde

I thought SSDI was a federal program? I'm not sure there's any difference state to state, I'm just starting the process also. Go back and search this forum on SSDI there's alot of good information on here. Also google it I found a few very good sites. I wish you good luck and a first round approval on your appication :(

I also believe it is a federal program so it shouldn't be different for your state...not positive on this but I do think it's the same for everyone.

The one piece of advice I can give is if you get denied the first time, don't give up! Just look for an attorney who specializes in SSDI. Don?t get overwhelmed it?s not that big a deal, I actually think that SSDI makes a practice of denying first-timers if they can.

The attorney will take a portion of the payment, calculated from when you originally applied (usually about a third), once you get approved and they will do all the work for you and what they can?t do, they will tell you how to do.

When I went through the process my attorney mainly said just make sure you frequently go to your doctor and make sure all your symptoms are on you?re your medical record.

Good luck with the process, don?t let it overwhelm you, they ask a lot of questions, but you?ll get through it. :P

I also think it's the same in each state. I got denied the first time even with my anal-retentive paperwork keeping, tons of medical records, a functionality report completed by my PotsDoc, Holter monitor reports, multiple heart rate recordings and videos of me and my condition.

Lawyer hired! He'll get 25% when I'm approved. Even he's not sure I'll win at this second "reconsideration" stage, even with him now onboard, because it's just a different pencil-pusher examining the file at social security, but he's certain I'd win if it came to the third stage, a hearing, in front of a live human.

Just don't get discouraged and keep fighting for what's rightfully yours, and remember, you can hire an attorney at any stage.

Thanks for all of the info..... :P You're all confirming what I've found in my research, I'm hoping the the mitochondrial diagnosis and the 80 page biopsy report will put me over the top. I can't get my doc to fill out the RFC, and I'd also like a letter from my geneticist but nothing so far and my appointment to apply at the SS office in my area is June 28th. If all of that fails I've already contacted a lawyer so we can get the appeal in right away, I guess you only have 60 for this step ( might as well plan ahead) Again thanks for all of the encouragement.

I had been told it's different this link explains the differences.

Different States and Social Security Disability

http://www.ultimatedisabilityguide.com/states_ssdi_ssi.html

maybe this will help. best of luck....

Another great site Bella, I just learned New York is now one of the states that goes directly from application to hearing........ :P Maybe it will save some time.

Hey, that smile looks good on you!

I wish you the best that this process has to offer.

Now, what I never knew, was document everything from this day forward. After you get your ssdi you get reviewed in a few years and they want to know everything about your condition. good thing I write everything down on a day planner to jog my memory. some people have to hire someone to fill out the forms. SO be prepared....

bellamia~*

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for your replies & encouragement. It is a federal program, of course - but since the SSA offices are local, if you are in a small state like mine, the odds are pretty good that I'll be the first (or one of the first) people they've seen with my dx's. I have met with an SSDI attorney in my area and he told me that educating the reviewers will be our biggest obstacle (he hadn't seen my dx's before either). :P

Also, once it gets to the hearing phase, Delaware's judges are tough - 3 of them only have a 23% approval rate and the 4th one is on par with the national average 63%... so you just have to hope & pray you get the one good judge!! oh well. i'll just do the best i can to pull everything together! :)

best,

dizzyde