Dairy

I practically live on dairy.

I am drinking tons of fluids but I seem to be peeing them all out.

I guess it's not all bad.

But my mouth still feels dry.

It's funny because so many on here avoid dairy at all cost, and now with this natropathic doctor telling me to try to avoid it, it feels weird drinking it, but I've always loved cheese, milk etc. IDK, I guess we have to do what feels right for our bodies. This doctor isn't helping me much any way. He did order me some excellent magnesium and some 5HTP, which really does help with anger issues during PMS. However he's clueless about POTS.

Be careful with the magnesium if you have low blood pressure.

I was drinking an electrolyte drink that made me feel great and then all of a sudden my pressure dropped to 80 systolic and I felt really lousy.

I think it was the magnesium that did it.

I used to avoid milk because it made my heart pound too hard. I would feel uncomfortable in my chest for a couple of hours. It doesn't do that to me anymore, and I'm really glad it doesn't. I have milk and/or ice cream daily now. It is the easiest way for me to get a little bit of protein in since I can't digest meat as much anymore.

If you feel better when you give up dairy then it could be worth giving it up. If you find that it is beneficial for, though, then there probably isn't a reason for you to quit dairy.

Rachel

I do whatever makes ME feel better and 'standard diet' or trendy nutrition du jour might be worth a shot but if feel worse, go back to normal diet.

Chocolate milk is said to be better at replacing electrolytes than gatorade. I LOVE CHOC milk as does my house mate. It's a great snack & fills us up. I use Hershey's syrup in milk.

If one is having digestive issues might be worth stopping milk to see if it's a lactose intolerance thing. Otherwise many of these "naturapathic" docs are just over priced nutrition guidance counselors. I've used to read and study on nutrition since 1980 & have been there done that with vegetarian/vegan/ mostly raw food diets/ Gluten Free diets, etc.

But again, we are all individual like fingerprints. What helps one will make another feel worse.

So go with what makes YOU feel better and don't let any doctor DICTATE is my theory.

:) We usually know our bodies better than anybody but enlighten yourself with books on nutrition & you make decisions. You can look online as well but be careful of sites that sell stuff.

I do whatever makes ME feel better and 'standard diet' or trendy nutrition du jour might be worth a shot but if feel worse, go back to normal diet.

Chocolate milk is said to be better at replacing electrolytes than gatorade. I LOVE CHOC milk as does my house mate. It's a great snack & fills us up. I use Hershey's syrup in milk.

If one is having digestive issues might be worth stopping milk to see if it's a lactose intolerance thing. Otherwise many of these "naturapathic" docs are just over priced nutrition guidance counselors. I've used to read and study on nutrition since 1980 & have been there done that with vegetarian/vegan/ mostly raw food diets/ Gluten Free diets, etc.

But again, we are all individual like fingerprints. What helps one will make another feel worse.

So go with what makes YOU feel better and don't let any doctor DICTATE is my theory.

:) We usually know our bodies better than anybody but enlighten yourself with books on nutrition & you make decisions. You can look online as well but be careful of sites that sell stuff.

Hey Sophie thanks for the info regarding chocolate milk! I'm so sick of Gatorade. I will now add chocolate to my milk.

Be careful with the magnesium if you have low blood pressure.

I was drinking an electrolyte drink that made me feel great and then all of a sudden my pressure dropped to 80 systolic and I felt really lousy.

I think it was the magnesium that did it.

Lieze, yes I will watch my B/P with the magnesium. Mine has actually been very much up and down. I like the magnesium for muscle relaxation and helps if I have bowel trouble. The dreaded C.! Magnesium is great for that.

I tried a gluten free dairy free diet for 4 weeks a couple of years ago. I can honestly say I felt much better. But the diet was hard for me to keep up - I am pretty functional, so I decided it wasn't worth it. I think it is definitely worth a try just to see how you feel if you can manage it,

As you can see in my signature I've given up a lot of foods and it has helped with unrelated issues (unexplained rashes, itchiness, hives on my face). I know when a person goes gluten free, it takes a lot of discipline for it to work. Sometimes I just want to order a pizza sooo bad! lol Although I don't have it listed, I avoid dairy at all cost too but I still use butter as it doesn't seem to bother me like a glass of milk. I don't like any of the butter alternatives out there.

Hershey's syrup is nothing more than high fructose corn syrup. There is no nutritional/electrolytes in it, so you are better off just drinking the milk plain. Just my 2 cents =)

Notgivinup,

Aren't there some good things about milk, like calcium content, and salt? I thought someone mentioned milk has some salt? It also has Vitamin D.

Please, if you do give it up, take a calcium supplement. That's my suggestion.

I have "been there, done that" with many different alternative diets, and have decided for myself what my diet will be.

Notgivinup,

Aren't there some good things about milk, like calcium content, and salt? I thought someone mentioned milk has some salt? It also has Vitamin D.

Please, if you do give it up, take a calcium supplement. That's my suggestion.

I have "been there, done that" with many different alternative diets, and have decided for myself what my diet will be.

Chocolate milk vs gatorade

I found this. I'm really feeling more hydrated drinking this. Plus for me I'm way too thin. I need the extra fat. Also the protein.

Thanks for the link on Choc milk vs Gatorade! :) I'd heard that a couple summers ago and plain milk is just ugh...unless I have cookies/brownies with it. :lol:

I don't care about HFCS. I am not fat, cholesterol and all is very low. AND I FEEL BETTER after drinking it! :-) I rarely drink soft drinks except for nausea, usually ginger ale..sometimes Coke.

They claim we dont really absorb the calcium from milk well unless it's raw milk which can't be sold. There is a place in SE Ohio, http://www.snowvillecreamery.com/ They use less heat on milk & don't pasteurize it. It's fablously tasting. I got some a few weeks ago. $2.00 half gallon which is great price. Their cows are treated nicely and all that good stuff.

Unfortunately, my house mate did not drink this milk and by the 4 or 5th day, it did not taste as fresh to me. Otherwise, woulda gone back for more. They only deliver to places the milk can be driven within a few hours.

Wish ALL milk was made like this. We would absorb more nutrients. I LOVE Cheese as well and use it in moderation.

:)