Rhodiola Rosea

Wow, thanks for bringing this to my attention. FATIGUE is my biggest complaint It looks very promising. With my luck, it'll work great for me (like turmeric did) then I'll develop an allergic reaction to it :). I plan to start on a low dose to see how I handle it. Ill report back my results. You do the same.

Funny you should ask. I just found a bottle of this in my cupboard that's about 1/3 full. The herbalist I see recommended it last fall when I was in the midst of a crash. Don't think it was very helpful at that time or I would have finished it. :blink: Maybe I'll try it again now when I'm not in such an acute state and see if it's any more helpful.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Thanks DeGenesis for the link! - really sounds very positive in general! But your experience wasn't that good, as far as I understand?

It's worth a try, some people swear by it for depression and fatigue. Adaptogens like Rhodiola are hit and miss for most people. I suggest sticking with it for a few weeks before making a judgement. Most importantly, don't buy a crummy extract from Wall-Mart or a drug store. High-quality extracts can be ordered online or found at health food stores, and there is plenty of talk in various forums on which extract is best.

I like to keep my drug and supplement regime as simple as possible, and Rhodiola didn't provide enough of a benefit to keep it as a staple supplement.

• 4 years later...

I tried rhodiola rosea again. This time I bought raw, cut herb from a reputable supplier. 

I brewed a tea each evening - four tablespoons into a half gallon of boiling water, let sit in fridge overnight. 

I quaffed the tea all day. I did not add anything to it. It was reddish in appearance and mildly bitter to taste. 

My stamina, mental disposition, and anxiety, all gradually improved over the course of a week.

As three weeks approached, the stamina improvements began to decline. So I stopped taking it. I missed the gains in anxiety and overall disposition.

A month later, I tried again with a tincture.

I made a tincture by mixing Everclear and rhodiola rosea. I let the tincture sit for four weeks.

I used a dropper - maybe 20-40 drops per dropper. I took four dropper-fulls a day.

Same effects as last time. But, great savings on the tincture (seems to make the same quantity of rhodiola rosea last longer)

I conclude that anyone could buy rhodiola rossea and make an 'emergency support' tincture to keep in their fridge and start using when times get especially tough.

Which is not to say that times are not already especially tough if you have dysautonomia. Rather, you may be able to find a charitable interpretation of what I have said that renders the advice sage. 

Green

>

It has some side effects that I think can negate its use; dizzyness and drymouth. These are already dysautonomia symptoms which might increase with this supplement, so caveat emptor. Maybe call your doctor and ask their experience with this herb.

>

I report zero side-effects. There were no side-effects whatsoever.