Flare Up In Az

Well, I am in AZ with my daughter visting my sister and managed to get a great few days in. But suddenly last night I was incapacitated by sone of the worst symptoms I have had for quite awhile and am still feeling poorly today. Very disappointing b/c I think I am going to have to skip our planned overnight at the grand canyon. Hoping I can recover for our flight home in a few days.

I've been salt and fluid loading which I guess is helping, but feel weak, achey, trembly which get worse if I try to do much today. I didn't adjust well to the time change (3 hrs difference), so am also a little sleep deprived.

I had re-started my beta blocker 2 weeks ago (very small dose) but am wondering if it could actually be contributing to this in some way as I have not taken the bb for quite awhile. I re-started it due to some recent high bp readings (although my bp is typically all over the place) and annoying tachycardia.

Trying to accept that this is my reality and that I can't do all that I want to, but it feels very sad! ;)

I am so sorry!!

I do the exact same thing there. For me, it's the altitude, the dryness of the air, and change in temperatures from the warm days to the cold nights.

It's funny though, because I know some people do much better in CA. I guess you and I are some of the few that don't.

I really hope you feel better and are able to finish your trip!

I'm so sorry that you've had a flare while on your trip. How disappointing. ;)

I hope that you'll be feeling better soon, and I hope that you'll be able to enjoy the rest of your trip. Will you still be able to go see the Grand Canyon even if you can't spend the night there?

Rachel

Thanks for your sympathy! I appreciate your responses to my venting and disappointment.

It turns out I think that we are all fighting a nasty virus. My sister started feeling dizzy, weak, etc this afternoon and we both have slight fever and so does G. So I think I am more fighting a virus than dealing with a relapse or problems with the bb. But anyway, we cancelled our reservations at the GC and they were kind enough to not charge us when my sister explained why. No we won't get there this time, but maybe on a future trip. We're still having a good visit and got to experience the desert and some other sites.

Well, I've had a big POTS crash. Biggest for years. Not sure what caused it, but lots of triggers possible. It started during an evening walk up a hill. I noticed my hr was fast and I had a little chest pain, then weakness, and since then it's been pretty much downhill.

Well, we got some nice days in. I need to be happy for that. I am pretty much homebound since yesterday. I am not sure how I am getting home!! We can't travel with me in this condition and I am feeling panicked about that--much less taking time off from work when I do get home. I will try to get saline IV Monday if I am still this sick.

Anyone in the Phoenix, AZ area have any suggestions for the best place to seek this??

Couldn't sleep last night -- so much muscle pain. I forgot about how bad that can be. I have no idea how people who are this ill all the time cope. You have my complete admiration.

I am so mad at POTS right now. I am so mad at myself for taking this risk of travel alone with my child across the country. I thought I had things under control. Extra salt and fluids all I needed to address any problems...I was so wrong! :P:(

Don't be mad at yourself. Just think, you could have been in the middle of nowhere when POTS came crashing down on you -- that has happened to me before! You are in a safe place with your sister nearby. I can totally relate to being mostly normal and being taken by surprise when POTS rears its ugly head. It is really scary. I don't know how others do it on a daily basis and I don't know how I did it for so long. I hope that (and I'm sure that) this is just a temporary flare up for you - due to activity, virus, etc. and that you'll be back to "normal" soon.

I have asked about IV fluids before and all of the doctors I saw didn't have the capabilty to give them and told me to go to the ER. So maybe that is an idea...but I hope you feel better and don't have to go there.

In terms of travel, you might be able to make it thru with a wheelchair. I know I was in the airport a few years ago right before the holidays. I got sick in the airport and nearly passed out. They had to call the ambulance, which examined me and said I was fine. I was so desperate to get out that I got a wheelchair and hopped on the flight. It was not ideal, but I made it and was so glad to be at my family's place where they could take care of me.

Good luck, feel better.

Guest tearose

Good wishes for your return trip tomorrow!

Use whatever help you need to get safely home.

Let us know when you are home and settled.

Then begins the journey back to feeling better again!

Thank you so much tea for your care and concern. Made it home--due in large part to getting a saline IV drip 2 hrs before boarding. I got such GREAT treatment in Scottsdale, AZ--both at the ER and at my sister's dr's office. Drs/nurses were so kind and helpful and understanding. I plan to send a few thank you notes.

Maybe the word is finally getting out to the medical profession...??

Still in a flare up. Hope it will settle down soon...

Momtogiuliana,

I so happy you made it back!

I will be going out to Phoenix in a few weeks, and , if you don't mind, I would like to know where and how you got your IV in case I'll need one? And also, how did you manage to do it right before boarding? TIA

P.S. What type of clothing did you wear on the plane, specifically, pants or the 3/4 pants (forgot what you call them), or shorts? Also, did you wear a short sleeved shirt and then something on top, such as a sweater or jacket? Did you wear socks, or open, sandal-type shoes? TIA

This is the ER:

Thompson Peak Hospital

7400 E. Thompson Peak Parkway

Scottsdale, AZ 85255

480-324-7000

Can't say enough good about my experience. Dr and nurse were familiar with POTS, didn't over-do the tests or question my mental status, just gave me what I needed.

I will ask my sister for the name of her dr's office. I was admitted as a new patient, it probably helped that she and her husband were already patients. They could give me IV saline right in the office.

I wore long loose pants, long-sleeved, loose top, light support socks and my light hiking boots (only b/c I didn't want to pack something so bulky).

Good luck with your trip. I hope it is enjoyable!