Fear Of Walking

Maybe gradually build up your confidence again by walking around the block where you're nice and close to home, or go to a park when there's no one around and you won't feel like a dill if you have to sit down for a bit and rest? I used to have anxiety about this but only in a social setting. And the more I walked, the better I felt.......

There was a recommendation of a seat cane on one of the past responses. I haven't gotten one yet but that sounded like a great idea!! Take your seat with you wherever you go in case of emergncy!!

Brye

I think the suggestion to start walking gradually is a good one, but I would make sure I had someone with me until you get more comfortable. I'm also a fainter, but it's gotten to the point where I can usually tell if I'm close to fainting. At that point, lean over and grab right above your knees or onto a bench, railing, etc. That will usually prevent you from passing out. If you have to, sit down. I was told if you could grab onto something and hang on tight, that usually the faintness will pass, and it's better to try to stay upright.

Good luck!

Jana

As mentioned previously, a seat cane is a good option. That way you'll have your seat with you whenever you need it. Many people here use them and really like them.

I tried a seat cane in a mobility store a couple of years ago, but found it uncomfortable. I prefer my camping stool. I purchased one several years ago at Wal-Mart for about $7 and it has served me well. I originally used it when I could go out on my own, but couldn't stand in line at places like the Post Office.

my walker with the seat has been a real help. they are so nice looking now.

Try not to get anxious about walking, but if you need to sit down, make sure you have a place to do so. For walking your kids to school, if you are able to do so, you could use a walker with a seat, so that when you need a rest you can just turn around and sit for a bit.

I am petrified of walking too much, sometimes my HR goes up so fast makes me sob then it will drop to 40 in a blink...then it will stay low and my bp will do it's rollercoast bit and I'm left wondering if my dr's got my dx right or if something else is wrong.

My neuro thinks I may have an AI disease along with my other stuff going on and I know I have some type of neuropathy which makes walking that much more difficult and my family just does not understand even though they try and when I go out at the first inkling of dizziness I get terrified of passing out in public

I'm dreading Easter, my husband just told me we're doing lunch on the uncovered patio THEN doing easter egg hunt at 1pm...85degrees here

what do I do, ruin it for the other kids in the family or just grin and bear it and hope I don't get sick. I'm already talked about enough with how sick I've been the past year, makes me want to throw a hissy fit and tell them for once think about me instead of me always being the one to give in to what everyone else wants

sorry to sound so negative and childish, none of my family or friends really understand what I'm going through