Pretty Sure My Labor Is Not Going To Be Fun

My ob felt sorry enough for me with my POTS acting up to let me be induced tomorrow :lol: only thing is is that today after my pelvic exam i was having pretty bad braxton hicks, and through everyone my tachycardia would sky rocket and i would feel REALLY out of breath and flushed. Now obviously my contractions tomorrow are going to be way worse than these.. so im kind of worried.

anyone have suggestions? im am super nervous about the epidural and the whole delivery itself and then on top of it with POTS i feel like im going nuts :blink:

My ob felt sorry enough for me with my POTS acting up to let me be induced tomorrow :lol: only thing is is that today after my pelvic exam i was having pretty bad braxton hicks, and through everyone my tachycardia would sky rocket and i would feel REALLY out of breath and flushed. Now obviously my contractions tomorrow are going to be way worse than these.. so im kind of worried.

anyone have suggestions? im am super nervous about the epidural and the whole delivery itself and then on top of it with POTS i feel like im going nuts :blink:

Hi,

I was induced to have my little girl on the 11.11.09. (4 months ago). I developed POTS after the birth of my son 5 years ago.

My induction went really well. They started at 7.30 am by breaking my waters then started the drip straight away. I had an epidural approx lunch time and Tamika was born around 3pm.

The whole process went really well. My blood pressure was very stable throughout the whole labour. The only time I really had problems with my tachy and symptoms was the 25 min shower I had mid morning to try and help with the pain. Though heat always makes me a little worse any way so to be expected.

Other then that, in all honesty was a much better birth experience then my son 5 years ago.

Good luck for tomorrow !!! I will keep you in my thoughts but in all honesty I really enjoyed the experience and my POTS was very stable throughout the birth process.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Susan

I was induced with my first, and it went REALLY fast! I had been dilated 3cm for a month already though. If you feel ANYTHING weird, you tell them! Don't let them make you wait for an epidural!!!!!!!! The nurse kept telling me that I couldn't possibly dilate that fast and that she would "check me and see how things were moving at 11am..." meanwhile my HR and BP are skyrocketing and I'm fully dilated and the baby is coming! She nearly got to deliver it herself! Make sure your husband is there and tell him to keep his male parts and be YOUR advocate! Good luck, sweetie! Just remember that the pain really does stop once the baby is out. You are going to be alright.

May you have a safe, semi-painless, joyful delivery and a perfect baby!

(((((((((((((((((gentle hug!))))))))))))))))))))))

Jennifer

Hi Dani~

I had an induced labor when my body refused to cooperate and dilate more than a couple of cm. You're very lucky to be going through this now, when they know so much more about difficult labors/deliveries than they did 20-30 years ago. I never dilated more than 7 cm, so ended up having an 11.5 pound baby through a c-section after 24 hours. I know your delivery will be much, much easier than mine! Plus, they're so much better about pain control, too. You have everything working for you, and I know you'll get through this with flying colors - and a beautiful baby, in the end.

Congratulations and the best of luck! Please let us know how it goes. I'll be praying for you.

Jana

Hey dani, I wasn't able to have kids because of my medical problems, so I can't speak to the delivery process. I hope it all goes well and you have a healthy baby. I know the arizona gals were all going to try and have lunch and meet up, and that didn't happen. I live in chandler, if you need any help or support. Hopefully, you have a lot of friends and family to help you out. Let me know if you need anything. I will be praying that you have a very good outcome.

Dani- don't worry too much. I had two inductions with undiagnosed POTS and made it though. It is wonderful that you know you have it. With my first child I had a foley catheter. with my second just the drugs. Good luck to you. It is always scary giving birth but so worth it! Just focus on getting to see that beautiful baby!

HI Dani,

I don't want to scare you, but.....I had a very bad experience with my last epidural. My first 2 kids - I had epidurals and they were fine. My 3rd, I had no drugs (best labor & delivery by far!). My 4th (think I already had unDx POTS), the epidural made me feel like my arms were dead, I was so hot (ice packs on neck did nothing), and basically panicked for 2 hrs til epidural wore off. I would take the pain over that experience any day. I hear what you are saying though about your body's reaction to the contractions. That's not much better! I was surpirsed to read all these responses that so many POTS people have had epidurals without awful side effects. Maybe it's just my body....but I tolerated them fine pre-POTS. I will never have another epidural.....nor would I want to feel tachy, etc with each contraction though. I would talk extensively to your ob and cardio beforehand.......just thought I'd offer my 2cents.....hope it doesn't make decisions more difficult for you!!! Whatever you decide, you'll get through it. Keep us posted!!!!

Dani

I just want to say good luck!!! Whatever happens, you will get through it and your new bundle of joy will be here before you know it.